PDA

View Full Version : Self-editing books (Novel/Fiction)

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Are there any references on AW for self-editing (fiction)? Is there any agreement on what the better ones out there are?
I ordered Self-Editing for Fiction writers.

Links and comments on how useful they are please :)

Ton.

JimmyB27
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh....how disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread for lazy writers about how to get your book to do its own editing.

But seriously, folks, I have the book you mention, and it is excellent. Not found the need for any other editing book, myself.

Mr Flibble
12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
But seriously, folks, I have the book you mention, and it is excellent. Not found the need for any other editing book, myself.

Seconded - the most useful book on writing I've read tbh

CheekyWench
12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh....how disappointing. I thought this was going to be a thread for lazy writers about how to get your book to do its own editing.

wish there was an app for that.

Momento Mori
12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
CheekyWench:
wish there was an app for that

There is. I'd link you to it but I'm waiting for my computer to do it by itself ... ;)

MM

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks all, what a stroke of luck to have ordered a good one :)
Looking forward to read it,

Ton.

Cassidy
12-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Susan Bell-- The Artful Edit. It's my favorite book on editing at the moment.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Thanks, I'll look it it up

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Hi, I looked it up on Amazon, enjoyed the excerpts and ordered a copy.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks all, what a stroke of luck to have ordered a good one :)
Looking forward to read it,

Ton.

Thanks again, read it, excellent indeed :)

smcc360
12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I like Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, too. And Words Fail Me, by Patricia T. O'Conner, is also extremely helpful. The Novel Writer's Toolkit, by Bob Mayer, has a short chapter on self-editing (in addition to all the other excellent advice packed in there), as does Todd A. Stone's Novelist's Boot Camp.

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I like Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, too. And Words Fail Me, by Patricia T. O'Conner, is also extremely helpful. The Novel Writer's Toolkit, by Bob Mayer, has a short chapter on self-editing (in addition to all the other excellent advice packed in there), as does Todd A. Stone's Novelist's Boot Camp.

Thanks, will have a look.

JMBlackman
12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to say helpful thread. Looking into these myself. Thumbs up. :D

Ton Lew Lepsnaci
12-13-2009, 02:55 AM
Just wanted to say helpful thread. Looking into these myself. Thumbs up. :D

Yeah, books like these should be up somewhere on AW, with votes by writers on which they found the most useful :) Or simply as a resource.

Hint for the mods :)

Ton.

Kathleen42
12-13-2009, 03:11 AM
Adding in some love for Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. The chapter on show vs tell alone was worth the cost of the book.

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar
12-16-2009, 02:56 AM
I just started "Getting the Words Right" by Theodore Cheney. So far, so good. There was a great amazon review from a literary agent that pushed me to buy it. Maybe I'll update again when I've finished it.

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar
12-16-2009, 03:48 AM
8 Articles on Revision (http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/Footnotes+8+Articles+On+When+Writing+Becomes+Revis ion.aspx)

TrickyFiction
12-16-2009, 06:19 AM
Eats Shoots and Leaves is a great little book on punctuation.

Phaeal
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Self-Editing is a standard, for good reason. I also always recommend Thomas McCormack's The Fiction Editor, the Novel and the Novelist, but it's not a textbook, more an extended delicious rant and a series of ruminations. I've gleaned some deep insights about fiction from the book and find new ones on each rereading. But read a little of it before buying. Definitely an idiosyncratic work.

bkwriter
12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
I like Revision and Self-editing pluse the whole write great fiction series is great.