It's probably a form rejection but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeygirl0684

Hey everyone! It's that time again, that unfortunate time during most writers' lifetimes, another rejection... I'm trying to stay optimistic about it, and sadly, after the first forty, I'm getting pretty thick-skinned. I have a question though, Peter Rubie sent me up a typed response, it looks exactly like a form rejection you know, but it says the following:

"After careful evaluation, we have decided that we are not the right agents to represent your work. We're sure another agent will feel quite differently about your material, though."

I know that's basically a nice way of saying "keep sending it out". But I can't help but hope that I got that form rejection specifically because my work showed at least a bit of promise.(since agents have 3 or more form rejections ready to dispense depending on the situation) Has anyone else gotten something similar from Peter Rubie? Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the time!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
monkeygirl0684 said:
Hey everyone! It's that time again, that unfortunate time during most writers' lifetimes, another rejection... I'm trying to stay optimistic about it, and sadly, after the first forty, I'm getting pretty thick-skinned. I have a question though, Peter Rubie sent me up a typed response, it looks exactly like a form rejection you know, but it says the following:

"After careful evaluation, we have decided that we are not the right agents to represent your work. We're sure another agent will feel quite differently about your material, though."

I know that's basically a nice way of saying "keep sending it out". But I can't help but hope that I got that form rejection specifically because my work showed at least a bit of promise.(since agents have 3 or more form rejections ready to dispense depending on the situation) Has anyone else gotten something similar from Peter Rubie? Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the time!

You're lucky to get anything from him. It took me three tries to get a rejection, and the language was the same as yours. Basically, the language means nothing unless it departs significantly from the standard blather. If it mentions something specific, especially if it's something in the sample chapters but not in the synopsis. Or if it suggests you submit your next novel. Anything else, forget it.

Last edited:

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same on, Monkeygirl, sorry. Keep trying. Kelley Skillen at PMA gives a very nice personal rejection letter. She'll even give you feedback via e mail. Try her. She's listed on www.literaryagents.org the site hasn't been updated in awhile but it's helpful.
S

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
I got the same on, Monkeygirl, sorry. Keep trying. Kelley Skillen at PMA gives a very nice personal rejection letter. She'll even give you feedback via e mail. Try her. She's listed on www.literaryagents.org the site hasn't been updated in awhile but it's helpful.
S

Dang. All I got from her was an emailed form letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.