PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect 2

LOG
12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I thought we had a thread for this already but I could not find it.

Well, this morning I thought Mass Effect 2 was going to go well...
Then I discovered several interesting pieces of info.
1. Your romance interest from ME1 will return, but not as a squad-mate, instead they're going to be a little side-character...>.>
2. We now have a quasi-ammo system. Say what you want about it, but at the end of the day there is now a hard cap on how much we can fire. I have to say, I do not like it, at all. Now, guns no longer have passive cooldown, period. Once your gun overheats, it stays overheated until you find some thermal cooling sinks that will apparently be found lying scattered around the levels. Also, the gun doesn't cooldown during firing either, oh no, if you fire a few rounds, te gun stays heated, so that when you resume firing, no matter how long it will be until then, it still has the same amount of, 'over-heat.' A definite hard-cap.
Our guns now ignore the basics of the laws of energy, and these thermal cooling sinks...why would people have thermal cooling sinks lying around everywhere? Equipment is one thing, the stuff is standard. The system was not broken, why must they try to 'fix' it? I'll still buy it, but wow, definite blow to the game as far as I'm concerned.

LOG
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I am not angry that ammo has a cap, I am angry that we have such a...bad system to explain it.

Zoombie
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I am not angry that ammo has a cap, I am angry that we have such a...bad system to explain it.

Especially when you consider that Mass Effect is a marvelous example of taking a single "magical" science fiction concept, then extrapolating it outwards to impact EVERYTHING in a NON-magical way. If we actually had mass effect fields, then every single thing in the game would be 100% possible. That gave it a level of plausibility and awesomesauce that I loved hardcore.

Also, the ammo cap is fucking retarded. The whole point of ME's universe is that ammo is a PRACTICAL NON-ISSUE. Which I *liked* because at that point, with that tech, I don't see why you'd need to reload very often!

If they wanted an ammo cap, just replace your ammo-brick every couple of thousand rounds.

Sir Valeq
12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't play games to admire their mechanics, so I wouldn't even care if they reworked them completely. I loved ME1 for the plot and lots of heart-tugging moments (with my all-time favourites colonist origin side-quest and sacrificing your love-interest) and as long as it stays on the same level in ME2, I'll love it.

whistlelock
12-03-2009, 08:19 PM
From a design perspective I this is an attempt to balance what someone considered to be overpowered weapons.

Instead of having three upgrades to your gun, now you get two because one of the three slots must be filled with the cool down device?

why not go back and rebalance the weapon add-ons to do less damage? or add greater resistances to the enemies?

Weak sauce, Bioware, weak sauce.

Sir Valeq
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Or maybe they are just trying to make tech/biotic skills take over when it comes to dealing damage? ME1 could be done as a soldier with Ashley and Wrex (with no biotic learned) as squadmates as easily as any other combination (simply using cover and later on immunity).
Maybe in ME2 we'll see enemies taking noticable damage from falling (after Lift) or being smashed into walls at great speed (Throw and the new ability Pull)?
Keep in mind that there will also be a system which recognized which body part you shot. So how about parylizing the enemy with a Neural Shock and then aiming easily for the head for a oneshot kill instead? Less shots, less heat and ammo usage, no? :)

Don't disregard it untill you see it. ;)

LOG
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
What would be the point of forums if we couldn't rant with mere suppositions?

Sir Valeq
12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
What would be the point of forums if we couldn't discuss with someone's rants and display our alternative PoVs? :)

Zoombie
12-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Oh, i saw a video on the adept's abilities and I have to say, I like what they have done with them.

LOG
12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
New Blur made cinematic is up, full version will be on Xbox Live on Dec. 22.

The Black Ghost
01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Bump

Cant wait for this game, but I am afraid of many changes they are making to cater to an audience that is less patient than most RPG players.

-no explorable worlds (replaced by single-visit side missions on planets)...dont know what to think of that yet
-I dont think there are upgrades anymore, but I could be wrong
-Combat looks too easy, but again, just my perception
-dont like the changes to the ammo/overheating system
-unhappy about lack of love interest being in squad

LOG
01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Love interest isn't there because it's expected for these people to die...

Pump it up to Nightmare mode and then come back and talk to me about 'too easy.'

JMBlackman
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Bump

Cant wait for this game, but I am afraid of many changes they are making to cater to an audience that is less patient than most RPG players.

-no explorable worlds (replaced by single-visit side missions on planets)...dont know what to think of that yet
-I dont think there are upgrades anymore, but I could be wrong
-Combat looks too easy, but again, just my perception
-dont like the changes to the ammo/overheating system
-unhappy about lack of love interest being in squad

If the ammo-cap is such a bitch, I'd say easier combat would be a good thing. No?

I'm not mad about the ammo-cap. I just don't think it's going to change the playing experience enough for me to get mad about it. I'm still too excited. Watched a trailer this morning that the old man found and--I'm just happy.

I didn't really do the explorable worlds, so, no loss. I like guided side-missions more, since Borderlands. Less...aimlessness.

Zoombie
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
So, I was checking out the gameplay videos. Love em. I *love* what they've done with the biotic powers, if you ask me.

And I just sat down and watched the "Stars of MAss Effect 2" and Jesus tap-dancing Raptorchrist, they have some fucking amazing actors in there!

They have Jayne.

Jayne as a Quarian.

Like...DUDE!

LOG
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Who?

Zoombie
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
...Jayne.

From Firefly?

Adam Baldwin

Opty
01-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Caprica 6 from BSG is the voice of the Normandy 2's computer. Why reduce someone so sexy in real life down to a glowing blue blob of a hologram?

Zoombie
01-11-2010, 06:10 AM
Why does every computer have to be sexy? Seriously.

LOG
01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Why does every computer have to be sexy? Seriously.
Why shouldn't they be?

Zoombie
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
...gooood question!

LOG
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Launch Trailer is up. (http://masseffect.bioware.com/media/videos)
Imma buy the Digital Deluxe Version, D2D is beyond epic.

Zoombie
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
This is incredibly petty and has no bearing on whether the game is good or not...but...

God I hate that boxart.

Its just lame boxart.

The first game had epic boxart.

This boxart is just lame.

LOG
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, that tan background is kinda...off.

Zoombie
01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Anywho, Launch trailer was so awesome, I'm gonna write 3,000 words!

LOG
01-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Anywho, Launch trailer was so awesome, I'm gonna write 3,000 words!
Game stuff usually kills my writing, not spur it.

Zoombie
01-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Well, its cause I wanna finish AFORE it comes out.

LOG
01-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Right.
Because once that sucker comes out, my work is gonna slooooow down. If it doesn't stop outright.
Imma make a new char just so I can see the important decisions(which will be asked by Miranda if it's a new char) and then go make my meta-character for Mass Effect.
My final character will be doing it on Insanity mode *deep breaths*.

Zoombie
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I've watched that launch trailer like 50 times. Part of me wished I hadn't seen it, so I'd know even less. But part of me is like, "OMG THAT IS SO COOL I WANNA PLAY THAT GAME SO HARD!"

LOG
01-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Pre-loading it right now through D2D.
10GB, ~10,000,000 KB and I'm going at a rate of about 20-50 kb/s, this is going to take awhile. Thank goodness I decided to pre-order and pre-load.

Zoombie
01-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Oh thank you god, you can start pre-loading now!

I've checked around, this game is HUGE MUNGOUS!

IN fact, its AS BIG as Dragon Age in terms of gigage.

...can't preload on steam.

LOG
01-23-2010, 03:51 AM
HAH!
Sucker! XP

That was mean, but I feel so good. Steam sucks.

Zoombie
01-23-2010, 04:52 AM
I like Steam, though!

LOG
01-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Your loss, my gain :)

BTW, did you hear yet? There's supposed to be a Tali romance according to people who were able to steal the game from the stores they work at.

Zoombie
01-23-2010, 05:10 AM
How is it your gain? We're not in competition and you still don't get to unlock it any sooner!

LOG
01-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Because Steam might start pre-loading only a short while before the game comes out, like a day or sumtin like dat. In which case, you'll be stuck staring at a download screen while I'm playing. That's a win for me. Muahahahahah!

Zoombie
01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
damn you LOG!

DAMMNNN YOUUUUU!

LOG
01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
XP
Don't worry, you're still way ahead of me when it comes to writing. I'm lucky if I write 2/300 words a day. Good thing I'm only doing short stories right now.

My connection speed greatly increases at night time at least. Everyone else in the dorms hops off the internet, so I get mor eof the connection to work with. :evil Went to sleep at about 15%, woke up to over 50%.

Zoombie
01-24-2010, 05:10 AM
ITS PREEE LOAAADIIING!

LOG
01-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Three days to go.
IGN gave the game 9.6
Apparently they dropped .4 points for it being 'Overly referential' whatever that means.

Zoombie
01-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Means you'll have to have played the first game to get what is going on.

HOW DARE IT! I mean, a game called Mass Effect 2 requires you to play Mass Effect 1!?!

How evil!

LOG
01-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Isn't it though.

Zoombie
01-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Well, I finished my first draft. I can now play ME2 without feeling shame or guilt.

LOG
01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
FInished pre-loading at around 8 this morning. Apparently can't install it until the 26th.

Zoombie
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Well, yeah. Also, my pre-load will be done in about a day, so we'll be able to play it at roughly the same time.

LOG
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
You'll be playing well before me actually :P I have a class, it'll give you a hour and a half head start.

Zoombie
01-25-2010, 01:04 AM
Preload COMPLETE.

LOG
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Just today and tomorrow, just today and tomorrow.
We just have to last today, and the rest of tomorrow...I can't freaking take it!

Zoombie
01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
<dies>

LOG
01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
9.6/10 is especially insulting when they say how so much better it is than ME1, but ME1 was 9.4/10.
And MW2 got a 9.5/10. It was a good game, but it wasn't that good. I'mma spend more time and effort with ME2 than I will with every MW game combined.

Zoombie
01-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I really hope Martin Sheen does a lot of talking in this game.

1) I love his voice
2) He's my favorite Sheen
3) His character is just...COOL!

LOG
01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I expect moderate amounts of talking from him.

LOG
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
That score on the launch trailer better be on the games soundtrack I'm getting with the D2D collector's pre-order.
It's pretty epic, not as epic as 'This is War' by 30 Seconds to Mars was for DAO, but it fits very, very nicely.

Imagine if they changed the release today and pushed it back. People would be storming the games HQ's.
Or if they moved the release forward 0.0

Zoombie
01-26-2010, 04:15 AM
I expect moderate amounts of talking from him.

According to IGN, he steals the show.

Also, I'm VERY glad that i can import my Sheperd and change how she looks (forehead was too big, always bugged me) and change her class (adept is fun, but I wanna start off as...hmm, maybe an infiltrator or vanguard) without changing what happened in le past.

Which is awesome.

LOG
01-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I know a dude (Toegoff) will be attending the midnight opening.
One disadvantage to the digital version, gotta wait for 10 AM PST for it to unlock. I think that's like 8 for me.

Zoombie
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
2PM for me ._.

At least, according to last time I checked.

Zoombie
01-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Er wait, my calculations were wrong: 10 AM for me

csdaley
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
I am looking forward to playing but in no rush. No real time until Feb. Deadlines to make but I'll play a little.

LOG
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Screwed up, the server that unlocks for me is in a different time zone, 12 PM...

Zoombie
01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
ITS OVER NINE THOUSANNNNNNNND!

Which is to say, I get to play in A HALF HOUR!

Zoombie
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
ITS DEEECRYPTING!

ITS TAKING A LONG TIME

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

LOG
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Pre-ordered collector rocks.

How bad is the text size? I heard it was small...

Zoombie
01-27-2010, 02:23 AM
omg

so good

game

orgasim

<melts>

Zoombie
01-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Its really good I finished Wake Up a few days ago >_>

LOG
01-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Never heard of it...

efkelley
01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
That good eh? Well, seeing as I'm locked up in STO for a bit, I think I'll give this some time to hit a sale on Steam. I suppose this is the last time I should look at this thread though, since I know Zoomers and LOG will be All Over The Spoilers. ;-)

LOG
01-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Imma be too busy exploiting romances to really bother with spoilers.

Zoombie
01-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Never heard of it...

...my novel. The first draft, at least :P

Also! I found out that the reason why I could not play my imported Shepherd character was because, ASTONISHINGLY, I had FORGOTTEN TO PRESS THE 'IMPORT' BUTTON!

Sooo, I get to replay the last 7 hours of game to play as my last Shepherd.

...not a huge problem, because hte game is ungodly good, but still miffs me a bit.

leahzero
01-27-2010, 02:45 PM
The writing in ME2 is quite good. Less of the epic intergalactic drama, and more of the dark, intimate, personal narrative that Bioware does so well.

Just beat it last night (was champing at the bit waiting for it). Wish there was a little more exposition on the nature of your enemies and their motives, and more of that epic intergalactic drama that made the endgame of ME1 so intense, but it was still incredibly satisfying. I've fallen in love with the entire cast, and the wait for Mass Effect 3 is going to be even more interminable than the wait for Mass Effect 2. That attests to the quality of the game.

Side note: 2010 has been amazing for games so far (Bayonetta, Darksiders, Mass Effect 2), and it's just going to get better (Dante's Inferno, Final Fantasy XIII, Starcraft II, etc.). This will be a historic year for gaming, I think.

LOG
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Or just a good year to be a gamer, although they tend to happen simultaneously.

Zoombie
01-28-2010, 01:17 AM
How could you beat the game ALREADY!?!?!

This is a game to be chewed and savored, not to rush through!

LOG
01-28-2010, 03:01 AM
How could you beat the game ALREADY!?!?!

This is a game to be chewed and savored, not to rush through!
I know. Some dude on the ME2 forums said he beat in about 40 hours, and only gave it a 6.8-7/10.
My first reaction was, "Gee, I wonder why."

Zoombie
01-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Jack is now loyal enough to wear a shirt!

/does not put a shirt on Jack

Zoombie
01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Good goddamn, this game is AWESOME.

Seriously, its...

Whoa.

Like...

Whoa.

LOG
01-29-2010, 03:21 AM
"Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a b!t@# in space!"

Zoombie
01-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Heee, I just got the Widower Anti-Materials Rifle.

:D

LOG
01-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Who are your romance options?

MaleShep:
Subject Zero
Tali
Morinth
Kelly
Maybe Miranda, I'm teetering back and forth on that.
I wish I could have Samara...

FemShep:
Liara (Abstinent)
Garrus
Thrane
Maybe Kelly here too, since she swings both way.

Zoombie
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I was so shocked when I started hitting on Garrus.

/had a big Garrus crush from the last game.

ALSO!

I beat ME2!

Now to play it again with my ME1 character (who I forgot to import, last time, remember!)

Also, you can romance Jacob as a girl.

LOG
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I know.
I'm not interested in Jacob.

Can that Med-Lab upgrade fix Garrus' face, or just your own?
I personally don't see the point in buying it otherwise...

Zoombie
01-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I...don't know.

Don't think so.

leahzero
01-30-2010, 02:37 AM
The med bay upgrade only fixes your face, not Garrus's.

I was surprised that he's a romance option too. When the option to trigger the romance arc with him appeared, I gave a small squee. Garrus was a fangirl favorite from ME1, as Tali was for the fanboys...and amazingly, Bioware paid fanservice to us.

I'm by no means a furry-lover and don't count interspecies relations amongst my fetishes, but the characterization of Garrus, Thane, and Tali was so well-done that I didn't even think of those romances as interspecial until the aliens themselves (hilariously) talk about the logistics of it.

And I definitely savored the game! Got our copies a little early, thankfully, and had a few days to do nothing but play it from waking till sleep (as my boyfriend did in the other room, so I got to see the maleShep playthrough too--he went straight for Tali, which is flattering, because I think I'm most like her...except for the whole anti-contamination suit). Got everyone's loyalty, bought all upgrades and finished all sidquests.

Some semi-spoilers (about gameplay, not plot) for the endgame sequence, highlight to read:

I actually managed to do the suicide mission with only one death the first time, and it was from choosing the wrong character for a certain task. If anyone has questions about how to do it without anyone dying, let me know!

Zoombie
01-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Okay, something is bugging me.

Quarians wear suits to prevent themselves from getting sick due to weak immune systems, which they get from growing up on ships. BUT when you get to the Migrant Fleet, you see that the interior of the ship has a kind of makeshift ecology.

That means that...um...Quarians should be able to survive inside their ships without problems. Their immune systems should work.

So that leaves three possibilities.

1) There is SOMETHING FISHY GOING ON
2) Someone at Bioware GOOFED, which seems unlikely seeing as how realistic the rest of the game is (biotics non-withstanding)
3) Or I misunderstood Quarian biology and background.

LOG
01-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah, remember how you're walking around? You're the problem, you're a walking mass of diseases to them, they can't be unexposed while you're on the ship.
Even when you're not there, many Quarians just don't like to take the risk of removing their armor, even while inside the Migrant Fleet.

I don't get the point of the Morinth romance, doing it just gives you a game over...

Zoombie
01-30-2010, 07:12 AM
But...they say they need to birth babies and have sex in specially made "Clean ships"...

It just does not quite feel right.

LOG
01-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Do you honestly think they let you onto the ships where they make babies?
I'm sure those ships are kept seperate from the rest.

In other news, I'm kinda disappointed. I think the game has a memory leak, I've had two crashes today, and the loading suddenly started taking a much longer time than before. Although I didn' really notice until I pressed some weird combo of buttons that resulted in a rectangular box in the bottom-right with a bunch of calligraphy characters in it. It made me force the program shut...

On the plus side, I managed to write a 352 word paper in about 20 minutes. It was supposed to be a record of me making a meal, but I couldn't describe anything that could not otherwise be detailed without sight.

Mr. Anonymous
02-01-2010, 01:14 AM
One of my biggest problems with Mass Effect 2 (spoilers), on a conceptual level, is that for the majority of the game, we are operating on the assumption that the plan is for Shepard to go through the Omega 4 relay and take the fight to the collectors by...attacking their homeworld? How does that even work? How is one tiny ship built mostly for stealth supposed to take out an entire planet? Furthermore, for most of the game, we are also under the assumption that the collectors have more than one ship (at least I was). So basically, the proposed mission is that Shepard is being sent to take out an entire planet defended, in all likelihood, by a fleet of ships like the one that raped his first normandy. A little absurd, if you ask me.

whistlelock
02-01-2010, 02:29 AM
So, I got the Xbox version, and interestingly I can't save a game.

It's like my character, regardless of new or import, is constantly in combat.

Zoombie
02-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Vanguard kicks ASS.

LOG
02-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Vanguard kicks ASS.
QFT

Opty
02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
So, I figured out how to have two romances in the game (technically).

Nice.

Zoombie
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Once you go Turian, you can't go back.

LOG
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Once you go Turian, you can't go back.
Ditto for Quarian.

Zoombie
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh!

Random aside: I bought the first Mass Effect book in the game AND in real life. Its pretty good. Could have used some edits in the descriptions, but once you get into the action bits, its enjoyable.

Lhun
02-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Hm. I'm severely disappointed. Bioware seems to drift more and more into shooter and out of RPG territory. Well the one review of ME2 i read before, actually said that ME2 playing more like a shooter was a good thing, not, you know, a matter of taste. So they're probably going where the sales are. Ah well, there's still Dragon Age. And maybe Diablo 3 soonish. (Blizzard+soon=3 years+)

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Um...Bioware does not drift into shooter territory. Mass Effect does. The series has always been an action/RPG hybrid with a great story and graphics. ME2 just ups the shooter and story and graphic bits.

Fine by me, says I.

What law says that a company can only make one kind of game, anyway? Dragon Age was an oldschool, hardcore RPG. And I bet Dragon Age 2 will follow the same progression as ME2: The RPG stuff, the graphics, the story...all will be increased, fine tuned, honed.

Also, Vanguard SERIOUSLY kick ass.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 02:59 AM
This is not so much directed at YOU, Lhun, because you say its a matter of personal choice and I respect that. This is more a question directed at bioware fans who are calling this a betrayal of the "RPG roots" of Bioware.

Yes, Bioware made awesome RPGs in the past. This makes it impossible for them to make shooters, or RTSes, or whatever else they feel like making?

That complaint just weirds me out, is all.

whistlelock
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I, for one, am glad to see games like ME blending RPG and FPS. It's great to see the story telling concept expand out of the grind-tastic JRPG's and the sword-n-sorcery games like Dragon Age.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
What I want to see is a Bioware game that uses the combat system from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

That. Would. Be. EPIC!

LOG
02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
What I want to see is a Bioware game that uses the combat system from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

That. Would. Be. EPIC!
What system would that be?

whistlelock
02-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Epic, duh.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 06:42 AM
A first person melee combat system more visceral and awesome than any before made.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
The little touches are what make me love Mass Effect 2. Like the tears. Anyone else, try and name a three dee game with tears in them!

I can't think of any.

...well...Heavy Rain.

LOG
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
A little touch I liked was when you were talking to Conrad Verner. When he said how his wife helped pay for his transport, you can see the Asari behind him shake her head at it.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Heh.

Also, is it just me, or are Liara T'Soni's eyes REALLY bugging out in some scenes. Like, she'll go all squinty and one eye will open really big like ~_0

Its weird.

LOG
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Heh.

Also, is it just me, or are Liara T'Soni's eyes REALLY bugging out in some scenes. Like, she'll go all squinty and one eye will open really big like ~_0

Its weird.
I haven't noticed...

Mr. Anonymous
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
A first person melee combat system more visceral and awesome than any before made.

Agreed... I was surprised that it only received average reviews.

Zoombie
02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
That confused the hell out of me too! Its like everyone took bland pills while they played it...

LOG
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I never played it...

Zoombie
02-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Tack it down!

LOG
02-03-2010, 04:53 AM
I looked it up. Isn't that the game where you find out your father is some demon out to destroy/rule the world?
It's been awhile but I remember thinking it at least deserved a sequel. I remember a good physics system.

Mr. Anonymous
02-03-2010, 05:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vBAowugv5k

LOG
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I found a funny sex scene, not sure I'm allowed to link it.

Dommo
02-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Best highlight of the game.

Boning Tali, and then speaking to her afterward(she's sick as a dog, but she says it was "worth it"), and of course talking to the good old salarian doctor who gives you a bunch of sex tips for dealing with a race that has an exceptionally weak immune system.

Zoombie
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
<sigh> Guess I'll have to play as a guy to try out Tali...

Though, if you have sex before going through the O-4 Relay, then...would that not be a problem for the mission?

Dommo
02-04-2010, 04:03 AM
I really want my shepard to be like the "James T. Kirk" of humanity. Kicking asses, and fucking every thing with a heartbeat and a hole. Seriously, I wonder how many green kids Captain Kirk sired over the years.

SPMiller
02-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Mmmmm mmm. I love me some good old imperialist fantasies.

Zoombie
02-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Sooo, can you get Tali if you're a girl?

I really hope so cause she's my favorite character but playing Sheperd as anything but a girl just feels...weird.

Its because, well, Jennifer Hale is about ten billion times better an actor than...whoever does MShep.

LOG
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
No. Tali is heterosexual.
The only bisexual romance option in ME2 is Kelly.
I recently found it's possible to get her to do a private show for you in your room...

ME2 > Uncharted 2 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1064323p1.html) (Opinion)
ME2 is...too good? (http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/i-dont-ever-want-to-play-mass-effect-2-again.html)

whistlelock
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
No. Tali is heterosexual.
The only bisexual romance option in ME2 is Kelly.
I recently found it's possible to get her to do a private show for you in your room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kDyswgQ4P4

The show, for the spoiler inclined.

Again, if you don't want to know, don't paste the link.

Zoombie
02-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, fine. The game has worn down my resistance and I've gone and done it.

I've started a new game as a male Shep.

And when I say new game, I mean NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEW game.

As in, wow, its weird to see Nihlus again.

LOG
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
I've done that too.
I'm also not afraid to admit I cheated and got the Super Armor and Super Gun out, they were fun, for one playthrough.

Zoombie
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Hurm...when your Fshep, Kaiden is the one who sets off the beacon. Other way around when your Mshep.

Dommo
02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I lost my save for mass effect when my hard drive croaked, so I just hunted around and downloaded someone's save who basically made an identical character to mine. Saved me a lot of headache, and has made ME2 far more interesting.

LOG
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
DLC suckers (http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/02/05/mass-effect-2-dlc-codes-costing-a-fortune-on-ebay/)

Zoombie
02-06-2010, 02:34 AM
But...I like playing through ME again. Its still a suburb game.

Also, thing I would pay an arm and a leg for: A full color, illustrated hardbound edition of the ingame codex, organized by "Entry" then with an opposite illustration showing that.

I...would pay...SO...MUCH...MONEY to get that.

LOG
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Telling us what we (the gamers) already know. (http://terminalgamer.com/2010/02/05/mass-effect-has-changed-gaming-forever/)

Zoombie
02-06-2010, 11:35 AM
The only problem is if you go back to play ME, then you immediately miss all the gameplay and graphical and storyline improvements they made for ME2...

<sigh>

Ya know what? Once they make ME3, I'd like to see a Mass Effect: Game of the Decade edition that is a remastered combination of every single Mass Effect game and DLC into one, continuous package.

but that's me with my fantasizing again.

Lhun
02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
This is not so much directed at YOU, Lhun, because you say its a matter of personal choice and I respect that. This is more a question directed at bioware fans who are calling this a betrayal of the "RPG roots" of Bioware.

Yes, Bioware made awesome RPGs in the past. This makes it impossible for them to make shooters, or RTSes, or whatever else they feel like making?

That complaint just weirds me out, is all.I guess it's not so much a feeling of betrayal because Bioware usually makes RPGs, but because ME1 had stronger RPG elements. I guess a lot of people hoped for ME2 to be more RPG and less shooter, and well, Bioware decided to make the game for those people who hoped for it to be more shooter and less RPG.

What law says that a company can only make one kind of game, anyway? Dragon Age was an oldschool, hardcore RPG.Haha, no. The benchmark for what a hadcore RPG is, are the good' ol PnP RPGs. Most MMORPGs are pretty hardcore RPGs. Well, those i know, i don't know if i know "most" anymore with new MMORPGs coming out right and left.
Anyway, Dragon Age, while awesome, is only RPG light. Like most console RPGs. Hardcore RPGs seem to be only MMORPGs these days.

And I bet Dragon Age 2 will follow the same progression as ME2: The RPG stuff, the graphics, the story...all will be increased, fine tuned, honed.Well lets hope that DA2 will increase the RPG elements as ME2 decreased them. If you ask me there's nothing wrong with Bioware making shooters or RPS oder action adventures or whatever you call ME, but i think it is a pity that there are so many shooters available from so many companies nowadays and so few RPGs.

Telling us what we (the gamers) already know. (http://terminalgamer.com/2010/02/05/mass-effect-has-changed-gaming-forever/)I'm calling bullshit here. Mass Effect isn't the first game to this by far. Heck they even brought up Fallout 3 (which fails in this department) without bringing up Fallout, which was one of the very first non-linear RPGs.
They might be right about ME changing gaming however. Sadly, it's not the first game introducing a good idea that gets that idea spread, but only the first really popular game. While Fallout 1&2 weren't exactly unknown, ME is vastly more popular. And it's a different gaming age nowadays. Hopefully ME manage to make good storytelling and non-linearity a standard occurrence in games, even though Half-Life and Fallout didn't manage to do so.

Zoombie
02-07-2010, 07:27 AM
PnP RPGs and CRPGs are entirely different games. Expecting one when you buy the other is setting yourself up for disappointment.

One exists to tell a story. The other exists to tell YOUR story. Neither are better than the other...I've had just as much fun playing ME or Dragon Age or Planescape Torment as I have playing DnD, WOD, or RT.

And, of course, a lot of people wanted stronger shooter elements in ME2...and I rather like what we've been given...

Dommo
02-07-2010, 08:37 AM
As a fan of RPG's, I'd say that the Mass Effect series is better served as more of an action game then an rpg. The last Mass effect game just felt clunky in a lot of ways. The inventory system sucked balls, and the combat was lack luster. With the new game, I feel that it just plays better. It takes most of what's good from the first game, and made it better.

Zoombie
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Also, it still has the codex and all its nice, nifty, scientific accuracy.

LOG
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I've always wanted to play DnD-style games, especially FR, Eberron, WoD, and recently, Changeling. Never anyone else around to do it, and the price of the manuals always makes me bulk.
D&Di helps mitigate the costs, I think.
I'm hoping Digital D&D will be resurrected someday...

SPMiller
02-09-2010, 03:49 PM
The Mass Effect games will have an influence on video game RPGs, but not for the reasons listed in that article. For example, I suspect we'll see the old style of dialog trees go the way of the dodo. The Mass Effect dialog interface is pretty good, albeit limited in certain ways, and will appeal to a larger market.

Zoombie
02-13-2010, 11:49 PM
So, I beat Mass Effect. Now to transfer the save over and beat MAss Effect 2!

Lhun
02-14-2010, 02:36 AM
One exists to tell a story. The other exists to tell YOUR story. Neither are better than the other...I've had just as much fun playing ME or Dragon Age or Planescape Torment as I have playing DnD, WOD, or RT.Well, i don't know how your play/run PnP RPGs, but that's one things thats not supposed to be different.
What defines RPGs on the PC though is character customization, not storyline or storytelling. And for that PnP RPGs set the benchmark. And not only because PC RPGs have been derived from PnP.

And, of course, a lot of people wanted stronger shooter elements in ME2...and I rather like what we've been given...Well it's not bad, for a shooter. But then, if there's one genre that's being flooded with games it's shooters, while RPGs have been almost as rare the last few years as TBS.

Dommo
02-14-2010, 02:37 AM
The one thing I want to see in future mass effect games is a more realistic "good/evil" system employed.

For example, the end of Mass Effect 1, puts you in a position where you've got to decide to save the council. Now I chose to focus my attack on the reaper. It's not because I hated the council, but because I felt that if it was me that's what I'd do. I'd rather us lose some leaders then risk extinction. However, if you make this choice it's portrayed as a "renegade" type of decision. What should have happened, is if you choose to try to save the council, is that they die anyway, and in the process most of the human fleet gets wiped out(you still kill the reaper, but rather then being in a position of dominance, basically all law and order in citadel space goes to hell because the human fleet got killed off).

They need more catch 22 types of scenarios. That way there is a realistic aspect to trying to play "the good guy", in that being the good guy sometimes causes more harm then being the bad guy. I'd like to see something like that pop up in mass effect 3.

Zoombie
02-14-2010, 02:52 AM
The one thing I want to see in future mass effect games is a more realistic "good/evil" system employed.

For example, the end of Mass Effect 1, puts you in a position where you've got to decide to save the council. Now I chose to focus my attack on the reaper. It's not because I hated the council, but because I felt that if it was me that's what I'd do. I'd rather us lose some leaders then risk extinction. However, if you make this choice it's portrayed as a "renegade" type of decision. What should have happened, is if you choose to try to save the council, is that they die anyway, and in the process most of the human fleet gets wiped out(you still kill the reaper, but rather then being in a position of dominance, basically all law and order in citadel space goes to hell because the human fleet got killed off).

They need more catch 22 types of scenarios. That way there is a realistic aspect to trying to play "the good guy", in that being the good guy sometimes causes more harm then being the bad guy. I'd like to see something like that pop up in mass effect 3.

I agree!

<stamps agreement on Dommo's forehead>

LOG
02-15-2010, 12:42 AM
ME2 has display issues. (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/playback/playback-103/1389206)

But only on SDTV's.

1) Their first problem was getting it for the console XP
2) The next article after this one is the one that tells you that about half of all Americans have an HDTV >.>

LOG
02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Anyone noticed this issue? (http://burn360.net/xbox360/mass-effect-2-overrated/)

Zoombie
02-19-2010, 10:31 PM
They needed to add this renegade interrupt (http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/248).

Lhun
02-19-2010, 11:44 PM
1) Their first problem was getting it for the console XP
To be fair, some games have problems with text display on PC monitors as well. Empire: TW for example has horribly blurry text on TFT monitors, unless the resolution is the monitors native resolution. A problem i haven't encountered since the very first TFT monitors.
But yeah, PCs haven used SDTV resolutions in decades.

LOG
02-20-2010, 12:13 AM
They needed to add this renegade interrupt (http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/248).
So hugging her is renegade? Or is there something happening I can't see?

LOG
02-26-2010, 10:19 PM
We should not underestimate the Canadians (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7192)XP

LOG
04-14-2010, 08:59 AM
So, out of curiosity.
The first time you beat the game and saw the ending scene, what were your thoughts?

My first thoughts went something like this: "Wow...we are so F***ed." I knew that Sovereign said they were Legion, but I didn't think it quite meant it literally. I felt glad I had saved the Collector Base for study.

whistlelock
04-14-2010, 11:07 AM
actually, my first thought was, "Well, that's just gonna get silly. It's gonna be like an episode of Star Trek, 35 minutes to build the "all you alls gonnna die" tension, 10 minutes for jordi/data/riker/picard/whoever to have their side plot and then solve it in 5 lame minutes."

Yes, I do think in /'s.

Zoombie
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
My first thought was 2011 was too far into the future.

LOG
04-15-2010, 01:59 AM
My first thought was 2011 was too far into the future.

Not for me. I play RPGs very leisurely. I haven't even beaten ME2 twice yet. And I've only beaten ME1 like, four times.

efkelley
04-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Well we knew the Reaper invasion was coming.

My money says that Shepard, renegade or paragon, makes the Heroic Sacrifice at the end of 3.

So I must have missed the earlier discussions on what constitutes an RPG. For my part, I'm having trouble seeing Mass Effect as anything but. I'm making choices that affect what happens. I'm playing my role. Granted, a lot of the choices end up in a firefight, but that's the Game part of it.

Anyway, props to BioWare for making story a huge part of the experience. I love an old-fashioned shoot em up, but a good story will make for more memorable games.

Lhun
04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
That's all fine and well, but it's not what was meant when a computer game was labelled RPG in the last, oh, twenty or so years. The previously used descriptor for games where player decisions have an impact was "non-linear". Probably sounds to complicated for today's target audience.

But i've given up being annoyed about it and just accept that RPG ist the game industry's new bullshit term which gets slapped on every single game when the publisher thinks it'd increase sales to be labelled RPG, and so is completely meaningless by now.

efkelley
04-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I do agree that 'RPG' has been thrown onto titles that barely deserved the moniker. Hell I think they even called 'Splinter Cell' that. I'm still not seeing what makes the Mass Effect stuff NOT an RPG. What games would you call legitimate RPGs and how do they differ from other BioWare titles?

Zoombie
04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
RPG means role playing game. Technically, all games are roleplaying games. An FPS has you playing the role of the titular character.

Therefor, I'd post it is not that you play a role but rather that you have choice in what that role IS.

Obviously, tabletop games always be better than CRPGs in terms of choice...but CRPGs could be determined to be RPGs based off how much choice they grant you.

Like, Arx Fatalis lets you customize your character into thief, warrior, wizard...or any combination thereof.

But the plot is still extremely linear.

Fallout lets you customize your character a lot, and make many choices, but the plot is very linear.

Planescape Torment allows for variations on how you play the Nameless One, but he still ends up being the Nameless One no matter what you do.

Mass Effect lets you choose the look and skills of Shepard, and chose "the gist" of his or her actions...so, its an "RPG" in that sense.

Its better to think of RPG's on a sliding scale, with zero being games like Painkiller or Half-Life, and 100 being games like...uh...any well designed table top RPG?

Lhun
04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I do agree that 'RPG' has been thrown onto titles that barely deserved the moniker. Hell I think they even called 'Splinter Cell' that. I'm still not seeing what makes the Mass Effect stuff NOT an RPG. What games would you call legitimate RPGs and how do they differ from other BioWare titles?Let me put it this way. Play Baldur's gate. Play Morrowind. Play Gears of War. Which of these three plays most like Mass Effect 2?
I'd say that's pretty clearly Gears of War. (Seriously, even the default button configuration is the same)

What have traditionally been the RPGs on computers (with slight differences on consoles) are games which allow highly customizable charaters, including character attributes as well as equipment. Also always included has been some kind of combat reward/loot system. While all RPGs might also have a storyline, that's irrelevant, because all games have story (yes, even Doom 2) some are just better than others.
Now, Mass Effect 1, i'd call a good hybrid between shooter and RPG, something that deserves to be called an RPG, or maybe RPG light. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand has the RPG elements dialled all the way down. It's less RPG-like than Deus Ex was. Anyway, games like that were usually called action adventures. (No, not all action adventures have puzzles)
Or to give a different example, would call God of War an RPG? It has RPG elements which are about as prominent as those in ME2, and yet, it sold perfectly fine being (honestly) called an action game.

RPG means role playing game. Technically, all games are roleplaying games.Technically correct use of vocabulary is something that's just not going to happen in common use. Technically, even so called non-linear games are linear (The only really non-linear games i know are Wizardry 8 and Morrowind), the plot still railroads you along. Technically, open-world games aren't open at all, more like sandboxed. Etc. But if a term has been established to mean something for more than decade, imo one should stick with it.

An FPS has you playing the role of the titular character.Don't forget: from ego perspective. ME is a third person shooter, not a FPS.

Zoombie
04-15-2010, 09:46 AM
<shrugs> I thought Gears of War was fun but wished it had better plot and characterization.

Good thing Mass Effect 1 and 2 came out.

efkelley
04-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Gears of War had a plot?

No I wouldn't call God Of War an RPG for the same reason Splinter Cell and Batman aren't really an RPGs. One character, linear mission chain, etc...

But, because ME1 and 2 have the same button config as Gears doesn't drop it from the RPG pool in my mind. Sure, I'm still playing just one character, ala God of War. But Shepard can be male or female, paragon or renegade, and one of a half dozen classes. How I interact with NPCs is my decision. Sometimes my decision results in a fight. Sometimes it doesn't. I can push it that way if I want, or not. My party makeup is my decision. Their skills are up to me. They took the gearing out of my decision-making process in large part, but to my mind that just did away with a lot of the minutiae. That said, I do wish I'd been able to customize the party's appearance the way I could my own. Still, that wasn't too huge.

Now, is it a question of sandboxing? To my ind the biggest difference between Baldur's and Mass Effect is that I'm on a more linear path in ME. But in Baldur's I still progress by fighting the other children of Bhaal (it was Bhaal right?). It's still going to result in the same endgame. Same with Fallout 3, though I daresay I had LOTS more things to occupy my time in Fallout that had nothing to do with the main plot.

Is it a question of time spent? Fallout 3 will let you finish in something like 6 hours whereas Dragon Age makes you do almost every last thing taking a good 20 IF you take no side trips and avoid all unnecessary dialog. I honestly don't remember how long Baldur's took. I want to say 10-ish if you avoid side trips.

I do agree that the line between RPG and Shooter is becoming more muddled, though I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Fallout 3 felt very Elder Scrolls to me. Lots to explore, lots to do, follow the main plot at your peril, etc...

What I'm really looking forward to seeing is what happens with the new Star Wars MMO. BioWare is saying that they want to add Story as a fourth pillar to the MMO experience. That's an INSANE amount of work, but if they pull it off, they could have a Warcraft-killer on their hands.

LOG
12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Ugh, I want to have a different character to begin ME2, but I don't want to go back and do a full run of ME1 again, and I always do full runs for the bonuses at the beginning.

Checked MEsaves, none of them quite have what I want, so irritating,.
Curse my perfectionist/completionist gamer-self!

Paladin
12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Good luck! My male Tali-romancing sentinel on Veteran was decent fun, but my female Garrus-romancing vanguard on Insanity was where things got awesome. (Speaking purely from difficulty perspective. Like both voice actors.)

Also, ME2 appears to be cleaning up on awards -- regularly gets Writing, RPG, and 360 and sometimes taking GOTY as well. Surprising for a game that came out in January, but no complaints.

LOG
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Final DLC accidentally revealed. (http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-minneapolis/mass-effect-2-final-dlc-revealed-by-ps3-patch)

Opty
02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Ooh, nice. They need to hurry up and release this. I need a reason to justify my 8th or 9th playthrough. ;)

LOG
02-26-2011, 03:04 AM
You'll never be better than Commander Shepard. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHseWNr7iKk)

LOG
06-24-2011, 06:38 AM
An Extra Credits vid concerning "A House Divided." (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1974-Enriching-Lives)
It's basically about the true potential, impact, and uses of games. I agree totally with their final point concerning Renegade/Paragon.