So close I could... #@*&!@&

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
So I have had several agents review the first fifty pages of my mystery novel, and one asked for the full manuscript befire rejecting me (kindly).

Then an agent I targeted very carefully asked for the first 50 pages and a synopsis. She actually called me to say how much she liked the characters and story, asking for the rest of the novel on a 30-day exclusive. I tried not to be, but I was excited... then I got a sweet email this morning saying "no thanks."

I feel frustrated because she knew the overall plot, apparently liked my characters and writing (to some degree, having seen the first 50 pages), so what went wrong?! I plan to sit down this weekend and reread the whole thing, with an eye to some major overhaul. But I'm partly venting and partly asking: what more can I do?!?!?!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
That's a head-banger all right. It's a shame she didn't offer her reasoning. Have you had the full ms read by a beta reader or two whose opinion you value?

If you haven't yet responded to her email, I'd do so, thank her for her time and consideration, and ask if there was a particular reason she passed on it. She might just reply with something helpful.

Keep plugging. At least you're getting good sniffs.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
MarkEsq said:
So I have had several agents review the first fifty pages of my mystery novel, and one asked for the full manuscript befire rejecting me (kindly).

There are a series of hurdles: query, partial, full MS, editor, and finally, the reading public. I've had a dozen or so requests for MSS from agents on my various books, and only one book agented (only one, since this agent doesn't represent my primary genre). In the past few months she's made several full submissions to publishers. No word so far. So my experience is: at every step they are more rejections; at every step there is more waiting. I’d go crazy if I were actually waiting, if I were taking these rejections seriously. So I write more books. And if I ever break in, I’ll have this tremendous backlog of material.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
"There are a series of hurdles: query, partial, full MS, editor, and finally, the reading public. I've had a dozen or so requests for MSS from agents on my various books, and only one book agented (only one, since this agent doesn't represent my primary genre). In the past few months she's made several full submissions to publishers. No word so far. So my experience is: at every step they are more rejections; at every step there is more waiting. I’d go crazy if I were actually waiting, if I were taking these rejections seriously. So I write more books. And if I ever break in, I’ll have this tremendous backlog of material."

Julie--this is the proper attitude. Writing is such a precarious business at every stage and process, that it is vital that a writer stay on new projects and not anticipate responses, praying for those acceptences. It's a way to madness. Get involved in new, better, fresher ideas and plots. You'll always have that big backlog when you do eventually hit.

Tri

Last edited:

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I definitely agree with Julie's approach! Just keep writing and submitting. It's about all you can do....

But I understand your pain and frustrations, Mark. Believe me, I've been there. Makes you want to bang your head against the wall!! But I'm sure at least ONE of them really wanted to accept your book but something or another (TPTB, a deluge of submissions and inadequate (whatever), previous contracts, etc.) always manages to mess things up. Or maybe they just decided it wasn't right for them?

Please don't be discouraged. You've had two positive responses to your manuscript, that's a GREAT THING! A lot of writers don't get that, so consider yourself close. VERY CLOSE to finally getting that contract!

Good luck. And PLEASE don't give up!! That's an order. :)

--Dawn

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I'm right where you are. I've had a few agents request partials, then the full manuscript just to end up saying thanks but no thanks with an added, please query with another project. I finally broke down and asked an agent why. She said my book was too long, though the writing was good. Apparently, she loved the story, but said publishers wouldn't pay to print a long book from an unknown author. Bascially, it can be the best damn book, but it doesn't mean anything if it's not sellable. Ugh! So...now I've written a sort of shorter book (I'm obviously long winded) and I'll see how it goes. Just keep trying...that's what I'm doing. It's lovely banging your head against a brick wall, but eventually a brick will loosen...that's my hope anyway.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
MarkEsq said:
...30-day exclusive. I tried not to be, but I was excited... then I got a sweet email this morning saying "no thanks."

That happened to me a few times. It was very frustrating, and made me question: What the 2#$#* is wrong with my ms.?

You just have to keep going. The best revenge is to keep moving and writing and submitting and then one day -- BOOM, you're accepted. Victory is so much sweeter that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.