PDA

View Full Version : Signs you're thinking way too hard about your writing

Kitty Pryde
12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
So I've had this extremely shiny new idea, and written 8K on it in the last day and half, which for me is quite a lot. I left work today and wandered over to the bus stop, then I flipped up the top flap of my messenger bag to look for pop tarts. I was deep in my WIP world thinking about what my MC was about to do. Way too deep...

The bus came and I got on, and then totally freaked out because my bus/train pass was missing. Keep in mind it's the first of the month, and I need to use the pass all month, and it's not cheap. I happened to glance out the bus window as it took off, and I saw my train pass lying on the sidewalk. It fell out during my brainstorming/pop tart searching.

I turned to the driver in desperation and said, "You have to let me off the bus! Please! My train pass is on the sidewalk!" He saw the tragedy in my face and let me off half a block from the stop. I sprinted back and retrieved my pass before any hobos or highschoolers could swipe it. Whew!

In conclusion, the writing is going great, but I'm so spaced out right now that I can't find my ass with both hands and a GPS. Please tell me I'm not the only one with writing-induced space cadet syndrome.

JoNightshade
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I have been known to be totally unaware of anyone entering or leaving the room until they touch me, at which point I scream bloody murder. How's that? :)

soapdish
12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
*raises hand* I've been known to miss an exit or two off the freeway.

…every morning

Kitty Pryde
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I have been known to be totally unaware of anyone entering or leaving the room until they touch me, at which point I scream bloody murder. How's that? :)

Awesome. And a little bit scary. *makes note to never disturb Jo while she is writing/pondering writing*

HelloKiddo
12-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Story of my life, Miss Kitty. Story of my life.

Kaiser-Kun
12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
As I wrote a huge dramatic moment of my WiP, I got to the sentence where the Gods appeared in a shining pillar of light... and someone turned the stair lights on! I almost screamed!

Regan Leigh
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
*raises hand* I've been known to miss an exit or two off the freeway.

This is me. :)

And I've been known to stand up after writing for hours without a break, only to realize my legs are asleep. I usually catch myself before crashing to the ground. :D

kaitie
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I haven't actually missed a train stop, but I have completely zoned out to the point that I didn't notice all the stops in between where I got on and the last one. That happens fairly regularly, particularly when I'm editing. I also have a tendency to stare mindlessly into space without realizing it, which is pretty harmless at least.

Bubastes
12-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Yup, especially when I'm in revising mode. When I get up for a bathroom break after a long editing session, I often walk into walls.

DeleyanLee
12-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I often work out my dialogue aloud, muttering to myself. Several years ago, I was sitting in my favorite "get away from work" spot on a large stairway landing (it had chairs for this purpose--we didn't have a lunch room and I hated eating at my desk), playing with dialogue when a security guard came up to check to see if I was a patient escaped from the psych ward.

Alpha Echo
12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Once, I finished my WIP (the only one I love so far), and I was leaving work on a cloud, proud and happy. And I said goodbye to this woman I work with...only I called her by the name of my MC. I didn't notice until I was outside and laughed my ass off at myself.

soapdish
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Yup, especially when I'm in revising mode. When I get up for a bathroom break after a long editing session, I often walk into walls.:roll:

Once, I finished my WIP (the only one I love so far), and I was leaving work on a cloud, proud and happy. And I said goodbye to this woman I work with...only I called her by the name of my MC. I didn't notice until I was outside and laughed my ass off at myself.

LOL, I worry I'm going to do this one day. But worse yet--call my husband by my MC's name. :tongue I think that'd piss him off.

Misa Buckley
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
But worse yet--call my husband by my MC's name. :tongue I think that'd piss him off.

This. Only marginally worse as I'm currently writing erotica.

I'm fairly sure that calling out to one's MC in the middle of a certain marital activity would be grounds for divorce.

Note I have NOT done this. Not yet, anyway... :D

Alpha Echo
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
:roll:

LOL, I worry I'm going to do this one day. But worse yet--call my husband by my MC's name. :tongue I think that'd piss him off.

Haha, probably.

Oh man, now I'm gonna worry about calling my SO by one of my character's names! haha...

Except, in my current WIP, there's no love interest or romantic subplot, so it'd be a female character's name. (I am a female, my SO is male...just for the record.)

He might not mind it if I yelled out a woman's name. He'd probably ask if I wanted to find her, and if so could he watch! lol

Sorry...I always have nooky on the mind.

Kitty Pryde
12-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I haven't actually missed a train stop, but I have completely zoned out to the point that I didn't notice all the stops in between where I got on and the last one.

Done it. I always manage to pry my way through the closing doors at the last second, though. I'm sure it provides great entertainments for the other passengers. I've also gotten on the wrong train (at my home station, where I really should know better), and then been surprised to be going in the wrong direction.

Last night I was so spacey, I was afraid to wait inside the warm amtrak station because I thought I'd miss the train. So I got a hot chocolate so I could sit outside freezing my butt off (ok, it was only 55 out, but I live in LA, whine whine. When it goes below 65, people break out their down parkas!)

I often work out my dialogue aloud, muttering to myself. Several years ago, I was sitting in my favorite "get away from work" spot on a large stairway landing (it had chairs for this purpose--we didn't have a lunch room and I hated eating at my desk), playing with dialogue when a security guard came up to check to see if I was a patient escaped from the psych ward.

LOL! Poor escaped mental patients, working on their dialogue and getting hassled by the man.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Two people in this thread have me in their signatures. Shiny.

Now if only laurafre would post here, we'd have the hat-trick.

It's like scarletpeaches Yahtzee!

semilargeintestine
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Two people in this thread have me in their signatures. Shiny.

Now if only laurafre would post here, we'd have the hat-trick.

It's like scarletpeaches Yahtzee!

Done, and done.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
:D I wish I could rep you a thousand times over for that!

semilargeintestine
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
:D