Status
Not open for further replies.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
In light of recent events *cough* publishers weekly*cough* *cough*British Fantasy Society *cough*thought this piece of news would be nice change.

An all-female shortlist has been revealed for the BBC National Short Story Award, with Orange Prize-winner Lionel Shriver battling four other authors for the £15,000 prize.

Author of the Orange-winning We Need to Talk About Kevin author, Shriver is nominated for her story "Exchange Rates", while Naomi Alderman, whose novel Disobedience won the Orange New Writers prize in 2006, is listed for "Other People's Gods". The shortlist also includes Kate Clanchy for "The Not-Dead and the Saved", Sara Maitland for "Moss Witch", and Jane Rogers for "Hitting Trees with Sticks".

Source

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Well, hooray for an all-woman's shortlist achieved on merit.

However, it is a shame that all the nominees are better known as novelists than short story writers ...

MM

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to get a chance to prove that I'd find it just as sexist, but a list of 5 sounds reasonable :)

An anthology of 16 male horror writers and a top-ten list with all males writing about males is just different.

Are the stories veered toward women? I won't have time to look them up till later. Not that 5 stories veered toward women would negate their merit, but I'm betting it's more of a mixed bag than on the PW list.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
I fixed the link to the article - Haven't been able to find anything online about the content of the stories.

More than 600 entries were received for the award, which celebrates the best of contemporary British short stories and is part of the national campaign "story", which supports the form. The shortlist was revealed on Friday evening (27th November) on BBC Radio 4's "Front Row".

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Lionel's a man's name?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the winner was Kate Clanchy, who took a cheque for £15,000 with only her second ever short story (that sound you hear is me throwing up with jealousy) and Sara Maitland took £3,000 for second place. Full story is here for those interested.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.