Dream Theory

Stargazer

Spiralling into the abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having trouble staying asleep for the last week or so due to some horrible dreams I've been having. I'm now taking something to help me stay asleep and last night, for the first time in eight days, I didn't wake up during the night. Nor were my dreams so disturbing or violent that I woke up from them.

And the whole thing has got me thinking.

Maybe it's just a case of too much Star Trek and Matrix, but is there anything to be said for the story of dying in a dream having a physical effect on the body?

I only ask this because my dreams were violent enough for me to need to wake up from them. And if I'm medicated to stay asleep and I get one of the really bad ones, will I still wake up or will I go splat the next time I fall off the top of that tall building or get beaten to mush in a fight?

Or is the whole dreaming thing a creation of a mind that has failed to go to sleep properly and now the pills are helping me to go one step further into slumber, thus thwarting the horrible visions?

As you can probably tell, this whole thing confounds me somewhat. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has similar experiences or beliefs or thoughts or anything based on the effects of dreaming and wot-not.

The dream-interpretation websites I've found are all nonsense; as if the same thing is going to mean the same for everyone. But it's not really the meaning that I'm after. I'm curious to see if any else here has any thoughts or experiences to help me understand the curious phenomenon of dreams.

Cheers,

Rob.

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
dreams, I always wondered who the people in the background were, are they other people dreaming too, and i being in their background as filler in a dream world plane.

I usually only sleep about 2 hours a day, i've been that way for many years, still I function with no nap in the day, so I always wonder why we need to sleep so much.

I believe the brain associates happenings that effect us and pulls them into our dreams. I used to fly in my dreams, was fun as hell, when i was a kid I used to dream of being in fights and always losing, never could pull the knowledge i have of knives out fast enough to defend myself. I wonder if nightmares are that, our doubts evolving into surreal-realities.

Hope you find peace in your sleep.

Seams

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nightmares, bad dream, night terrors are bad for you in that they keep you from getting a good restful, healing night sleep and put undue stress on you.

One thing that might be causing your bad dreams is having too many blankets on and getting too warm while you sleep. I usually never have bad dreams unlessI get too warm. Every night I get too warm in my sleep, I have terrible violent nightmares and wakeup, shaking, sweating and nauseous with my heart racing.

Once I wake up it takes about a half an hour to cool down and feel better. Then I go back to sleep with less blankets and no nightmares.

Certain medications can cause nightmares as well, especially allergy meds and steroids.

If you want to know what the symbolism of your dreams is I have book The Dreamer's Dictionary by Lady Stearn Robinson and Tom Corbett that is very good at telling what each thing is a dream means.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably get many answers here but here's mine.

Are you getting any sun and are you taking a brisk walk in the evenings?

My thoughts are that your brain is frustrated that it can't stay a sleep so it will cause you to dream in such a way to work those frustrations out.

Sunshine gives you vit D which helps with sleep and depression. Since we are going into winter the sun usually hides. You can take a vit D supplement to help with that ( I heard this on The Doctor's show).

Exercise causes endorphins or vigorous sex before sleep or both and these also help with sleep and depression. So walk for a half an hour in the day and at night "giter done"! :D Not trying to be naughty but orgasms put out a wonderful sleep aid for your brain as well.

This has been "How To Sleep Werri's Way"! Thanks for tuning in!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I hypothesize -- from personal experience and accumulated knowledge -- that periods of exceptional dreaming are caused by a temporary metabolic imbalance akin to schizophrenia. In other words, it's not all in your mind; it may be a warning that you are not getting enough of some essential vitamins and minerals. The deficiency, probably caused by stress depletion, might be related to everyday activities or a physical iillness that hasn't shown any obvious symptoms yet. Your body speaks in many ways.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Dying, Death, See Others Dying Dying Animals

To dream of dying, foretells that you are threatened with evil from a source that has contributed to your former advancement and enjoyment.
To see others dying, forebodes general ill luck to you and to your friends.
To dream that you are going to die, denotes that unfortunate inattention to your affairs will depreciate their value. Illness threatens to damage you also.
To see animals in the throes of death, denotes escape from evil influences if the animal be wild or savage.
It is an unlucky dream to see domestic animals dying or in agony.
[As these events of good or ill approach you they naturally assume these forms of agonizing death, to impress you more fully with the joyfulness or the gravity of the situation you are about to enter on awakening to material responsibilities, to aid you in the mastery of self which is essential to meeting all conditions with calmness and determination.]

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Meaning_ofDreams_About_Dying/id/235846

As for physical effect, hell yes. I had a dream way back when of a demon like creature that bit me at the nape of the neck. The next morning my husband asked me what the hell happened to my neck - turns out it was red and raw where I was bit in my dream (could have been me in my sleep rubbing at it) but I do verily believe the mind is an extremely powerful thing. If the brain believes the body is being harmed then it's going to react to that perceived harm. I think it is very plausible for the mind to create a situation where the body reacts physically to the perception within that situation - including in dreams.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Heh. I will never forget sitting on a white marble throne in a ruined palace (think Minoan Crete) and having a sword driven through my heart. But nothing happened except that I woke up very impressed with the vivid imagery.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Physical effects from dreams are definitely real in my experience. I used to get into fights in my dreams, and I'd wake up with bruises and cuts. I'm sure some of them were due to flailing around, but I think the person next to me in the bed would have noticed. I've also gotten them in weird places like my chest or abdomen.

Stargazer

Spiralling into the abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so bothered by the actual meaning of my dreams. Mainly because something is likely going to mean something very different to me than it will someone else. That's why I'm so surprised there are as many websites as there is offering interpretation. I imagine it's the kind of thing that can only be done effectively through counseling and/or insightful discussion.

It's the physical effects I'm really trying to learn about. Interesting that a couple of people here say they have woken up with injuries that they couldn't quite explain.

I know my wife often wakes up covered in scratches but I know she's an unconscious scratcher and seems to be allergic to life itself. Everything seems to make her itch and she doesn't seem to recall any dreams about itching.

It's possible that some of the incidents of waking up with injuries matching a dream being self-inflicted, albeit without realising, but is that all of it?

As I said previously, does dying in a dream actually cause a person to die of fear for real or can anyone actually recall having been killed in a dream? And I mean, properly killed, not just run through, or partially drowned where you still end up waking before you slip away completely, but actually died in a dream? Is it even possible? Is it like trying to sneeze with your eyes open?

Interesting stuff so far. I'd be interested to hear more.

Cheers,

Rob.

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I've been shot, stabbed up pretty bad in my dreams before and still I woke up. I don't believe you can die in your dreams, or at least, all of your awareness. we either look down and see ourselves or somehow manage another breath.

but an interesting topic with just as interesting thoughts.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
As I said previously, does dying in a dream actually cause a person to die of fear for real or can anyone actually recall having been killed in a dream? And I mean, properly killed, not just run through, or partially drowned where you still end up waking before you slip away completely, but actually died in a dream? Is it even possible?

Step back from the dream theory and think about evolution. Being able to dream yourself dead is such an evolutionary drawback that any creature able to do it would remove itself from the genepool PDQ. Similarly with anything that could seriously injure them. These things don't happen because they'd be too dangerous, and there's no obvious benefit.

I've had nightmares pretty much nightly for thirty years or so, and I've come to the conclusion they're just the junk of the subconscious. Get up, have a cup of tea and forget them, that's what I do.