PDA

View Full Version : I has a wangst

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Don't worry. I'm not going to start a thread for every knockback I get.

But my partial was returned with a form rejection today.

This is the first time I've queried in years, and I've only sent out one query for this book (standard in UK is first three chapters and synopsis, so don't think this was a requested partial) but I kinda thought if it was a 'no' it'd at least have something personalised on it as it's a kick-ass query letter and the synopsis rocks the phat one.

(I hope).

*sigh*

My one concern is there are far fewer agents in the UK than elsewhere, so...I could easily run out of agents to query within a matter of months.

NOT THAT THAT WILL HAPPEN.

Oh well.

*opens W&A Yearbook again*

thethinker42
11-30-2009, 04:05 PM
If you run out of agents to query in the UK, either start querying US agents or start querying the UK agents over again with your next book, which will be ready to query by then.

You have 1 hour to wangst, then get your ass back to Microsoft Word and write. *sets watch*

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Damn it. On St Andrew's Day too, and the last of NaNo.

BAH!

aruna
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the club!
Today I got a rejection from Clare Alexander.
Last week one rejection form I-forget-who, and one request for a full. You lose some, gain some!
Just send the damn thing out again. There are LOTS of agents in the UK.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I know it means nothing, really. It's just one knockback.

But now I feel like I'm on my way. It happens to the best of us.

And the reason I won't start a thread for every knockback is I don't want to think myself depressed and be all "Wah wah wah, I has a wangsty sadz0rz."

But...meh. They said no. Oh well. Rite of passage and all that.

KTC
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Congratulations on submitting, Peachy! You rock. I await your acceptance speech with much eager anticipation.

aruna
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Funny - I'm now quite accustomed to seeing my SAE's in the postbox; I just wonder "Who's the rejection from this time?" But last week the request came in a SAE, so now I'm a little less cynical about it.

thethinker42
11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Funny - I'm now quite accustomed to seeing my SAE's in the postbox; I just wonder "Who's the rejection from this time?" But last week the request came in a SAE, so now I'm a little less cynical about it.

Oh, good to know. I've gotten just as cynical...when my husband comes home from the post office, I'm always asking, "How many rejections did I get today?"

Duly noted that they aren't always rejections...

Calla Lily
11-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Scarlet, open the champagne and toast yourself. You're now in The Club. :e2drunk: Now you get to Revenge Query--for every R you get, immediately send out a new query. When you're really in the groove, you might indulge in Preemptive Revenge querying--sending out the new queries before you thing an R's going to hit.

Good luck!

Bushdoctor
11-30-2009, 05:24 PM
try email queries. save a few bob on the postage costs.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Not possible for most agents in the UK - they specify snail mail.

I don't mind. I look upon it as an investment rather than an expense.

seun
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Not possible for most agents in the UK - they specify snail mail.

Which is made all the more fun by how totally shit our postal service is.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Strikes are off 'til the new year, though. And at least I know the agent got my sub.

Because they returned it! :ROFL:

Bushdoctor
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Strikes are off 'til the new year, though. And at least I know the agent got my sub.

please dont mention the strikes. you gonna jinx us all

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
If it's any help, I consulted with a postal worker friend before posting this, and I mailed it right in the middle of the most recent load of strikes according to his advice. He knew how long it would take to get to Edinburgh before the next strike, the route it would take down to Heathrow, etc...and he was right. It got there.

CheekyWench
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Scarlet, open the champagne and toast yourself. You're now in The Club. :e2drunk: Now you get to Revenge Query--for every R you get, immediately send out a new query. When you're really in the groove, you might indulge in Preemptive Revenge querying--sending out the new queries before you thing an R's going to hit.

Good luck!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! For every Reject I get, I send three more out. :D

aruna
11-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Did you send an SAE for the whole ms? I don't do that: I send just a normal envelope. Saves a bit more money. I think printing out a new ms each time is cheaper than the return postage.

Perks
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Nuts. I'm sorry, Ms. Peach.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Did you send an SAE for the whole ms? I don't do that: I send just a normal envelope. Saves a bit more money. I think printing out a new ms each time is cheaper than the return postage.Three chapters. It fits in an A4 manilla envelope. I hate wasting paper and I'd rather pay the postage, which isn't all that much.

aruna
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Three chapters. It fits in an A4 manilla envelope. I hate wasting paper and I'd rather pay the postage, which isn't all that much.

I agree with you on wasting paper. Maybe I'll follow your example next time, if there is one. But that's why I prefer equries. I still haven't sent that requested full because of the whole hassle of printing out the ms.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Most of the agents I know of specify snail mail; that's all I've ever used.

Although I have something in the works that will be entirely conducted online, so going green may yet further my career. :D

Summonere
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
My favorite rejection story:

Frank Herbert claimed that Dune was rejected by every publisher in North America. Twice. Perseverance seems to have paid off on that one. Thus as the guy in the movie said, “Endeavor to persevere.”

dgrintalis
11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry about your rejection, SP. They stink, don't they? Just keep sending out that query.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Will do. ;)

And thanks all. At first I was...disappointed. I think that's the word. Not sad, just, like, "Oh well. What can you do?"

Wangsted a bit, then ate some Pringles. Texas BBQ flavour, since you ask.

And the new 30STM album is out soon, so life goes on, right?

Priene
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I shall say this only once:

You have a fine authorial voice.

Now shut up whingeing and take your lumps along with the rest of us.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
:eek:

Phaeal
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Yeah, I got my closest request yet by mail. So don't throw those SASEs out unopened! ;)

Phaeal
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
You can only get rejected for the first time once. Um, per piece, anyhow.

Send out a handwritten thank you note for all rejections, even form ones. Just a couple lines, like: "Thanks for your response. Maybe we can work together another time." It converts the negative rejection energy into positive redirection energy. Really. I've got this karmameter that measures such things.

I just bought four new packages of notecards for such notes. With four pieces in constant submission, I get lots of opportunities to use 'em. ;)

Toothpaste
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Which is made all the more fun by how totally shit our postal service is.

It's so weird, you guys always put down your postal service, but I was in total awe of it when I was living in the UK (London). In fact one of my main stories in my road to publication was how I sent off a snail mail query and the next day I got a call from my agent. I didn't know mail could travel that fast if it wasn't FedEx or something.

Londoners also complained a lot about the Tube, but I thought, again, it was fab.

I guess it's all relative. Comparing your postal service, and tube service to those in Toronto . . . well you guys would just hate living here then I suppose :) .

Anyway, SP, buck up. It's okay. Everyone gets stupid rejections. Sure I got the request I mentioned above, but every other agent I sent my stuff to said no. I even got a rejection from an agency a couple months after I'd signed with mine. All this means is that your a real writer. Still sucks, but it'll be okay! I promise! :)

ETA: And as an extra pick me up:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/adriennekress/jamesbwphoto5-1.jpg

arkady
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Send out a handwritten thank you note for all rejections, even form ones. Just a couple lines, like: "Thanks for your response. Maybe we can work together another time." It converts the negative rejection energy into positive redirection energy. Really. I've got this karmameter that measures such things.

I just bought four new packages of notecards for such notes. With four pieces in constant submission, I get lots of opportunities to use 'em. ;)

And don't forget -- the note paper must be bright pink, with oodles and oodles of sunny yellow daffodils, and big smiley faces at each corner.

scarletpeaches
12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
...as an extra pick me up:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/adriennekress/jamesbwphoto5-1.jpgAnd this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Toothpaste is my favourite. :D

Phaeal
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
And don't forget -- the note paper must be bright pink, with oodles and oodles of sunny yellow daffodils, and big smiley faces at each corner.

Pink and yellow (in combination) make me shudder. They are the universal basis for bad garden design and fashion faux pas. ;)

I go with a very pale slate blue notecard with a dull gold border. The envelope is also pale slate blue, with an outer flap of dull gold in a William Morris vine motif.

scarletpeaches
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Holy fuck. I just subbed it again.

My first e-sub ever.

Phaeal
12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
E-congrats!

aruna
12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
e-fingers crossed.
e-prayers.... oh. I better not.

Jamesaritchie
12-03-2009, 01:19 AM

It also gives agents and editors a lot more things to have to open and not read, and usually a severe bout of indigestion.

Just think, if even ten percent of writers sent a thank you for every rejection, slush piles already up to the ceiling would have to be moved to a separate room, and we'd kills a bunch of trees needlessly.

Though it's usually a junior somebody who actually opens such mail, and usually tosses it into file thirteen.

It's even worse with e-mail. Talk about clogging up an inbox.

If an agent or editor goes an extra mile of three, and really gives you a thorough critique, a thank you note is fine. Otherwise, it's just annoying.

scarletpeaches
12-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Don't worry JAR; I wasn't going to. ;)

Professional at all times, yes. Jumping up and down in front of the agent like a puppy desperate for attention, no.

As far as I'm concerned it was a form rejection, all part of the process, no need to prolong contact.

blacbird
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
You've made the mistake of peeking into the slightly ajar door of my world. Slam it shut, and voyage elsewhere. I'll try to lock it more tightly.

caw

aruna
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Best rep of all time, from SP:

If God took prayers by email, his server would crash by lunchtime!

Phaeal
12-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Don't worry JAR; I wasn't going to. ;)

Professional at all times, yes. Jumping up and down in front of the agent like a puppy desperate for attention, no.

As far as I'm concerned it was a form rejection, all part of the process, no need to prolong contact.

I am a kitten, not a puppy, thank you very much. And a professional kitten, at that.

Meow.