PDA

View Full Version : Fast Turnaround

S.C. Denton
11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Got the fastest rejection I've ever received the other day. I sent off a poem (only the fifth I've ever written) and got an e-mail the very next day.

Because I sent the poem just before bed, and checked my mail when I got up it seemed almost instantaneous. It went something like, 'Thanks for submitting, but it's not for me.'

I wondered if the fast turnaround is pretty common with poetry?

Polenth
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I wondered if the fast turnaround is pretty common with poetry?

I don't think so. In general, I've found magazines with a poetry and fiction department are always really slow with poetry. I don't think it gets the same priority as fiction.

Some of the poetry-only places appear to be faster.

The fastest reply I ever got was within a day, but that was an exception.

Bushdoctor
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
better than waiting around for an answer

CheekyWench
11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Fastest Rejecttion I got was from Colleen Lindsay. Four minutes from the time I hit 'send' LOL
I was impressed.

Phaeal
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction has the quickest snail mail turnaround -- I've gotten responses in less than a week.

Fantasy (online mag) is also super quick, sometimes the same day, and they do actually read the subs -- I've gotten specific feedback in responses so quick you'd think they're auto-responses.

Colleen Lindsay hasn't been accepting queries for a while, according to her Fineprint page and Agent Query. Could be the really quick one was an autoresponse, if you subbed recently.

Shadiyaray
12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
The fastest rejection that I've ever received was from five agents. They responded within minutes. I won't post their names of course, but I was thankful that they responded as fast as they did. I hate waiting.

emandem
12-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Shadi--curious as to why you wouldn't want to post their names (not that I'm asking you to). In the past I've LOVED getting that rejection letter within minutes or a day! I see it as a desirable quality in an agent, that the agent is very efficient--that maybe they are only looking for one very specific genre at the time or something and didn't want to read more than the first line...

I agree, those lightning speed rejects are much better than waiting months (or worse, no response at all).

CheekyWench
12-01-2009, 09:10 PM
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction has the quickest snail mail turnaround -- I've gotten responses in less than a week.

Fantasy (online mag) is also super quick, sometimes the same day, and they do actually read the subs -- I've gotten specific feedback in responses so quick you'd think they're auto-responses.

Colleen Lindsay hasn't been accepting queries for a while, according to her Fineprint page and Agent Query. Could be the really quick one was an autoresponse, if you subbed recently.
She announced on Twitter she was going to open up for queries for literally a day or so. I submitted when I saw the tweet post. :shrug:

Shadiyaray
12-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Hi Emandem! I don't know. I'm cautious about placing people's names on sites, but if you want their names, I would be happy to give them to you.

emandem
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Nah, Shadi, don't worry about it (unless you want to...!) FWIW, the agents who have responded or rejected me lightning fast in the past--and I do consider this a GOOD attribute--Kristin Nelson, Kate Schafer, Kathryn Green, Marlene Stringer, to name the ones off the top of my head. Very efficient people in my book.

Shadiyaray
12-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Kristin Nelson is one of the agents that responded super fast to me as well!
Sara Crowe, Barry Goldblatt, are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head.