"I don't fit in because..."

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tell the world why you're not like them, how they'll never understand you... after all, we are all Individuals!

Give us:

- one artist/group that everyone else seems to love, but just doesn't click with you (not that they're bad, necessarily, but you just don't feel the love)
- one artist/group whose music moves you, but no one else seems to get

I'll start:

- Everybody loves, but not me: Queen
Yes, Freddie had a great voice, and the musicianship was much more than sound. But they never got my pulse racing... just no love connection for me, Chuck.

- Hardly anybody likes, and it's their loss: Devo
Okay, they hit their use-by date in 1982 or so. But their first several albums were fantastic. "Whip It", fun as it was, wasn't their best at all. Quirky, sardonic and visionary at their best. Outlived their usefulness, sadly.

Last edited:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Radiohead has millions of fans and great critical acclaim. There are a couple of songs I like, but for the most part they leave me cold. I don't get their enormous popularity at all.

I adore the late Billy McKenzie. Everyone in my life laughs at me and his mournful wail, but I wish he'd never bloody well killed himself.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Van Halen (except for their first album) and Aerosmith. Will come back and state my reasons for such sacrilege after some contemplation on the matter.

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Pink Floyd *ducks head* (I was going to say the Beatles, but then I'd have to really watch my back.)

I really like Dead Can Dance. Never heard of them? Not surprised.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone likes Led Zeppelin but I think it's insipid bourgeois poorly-played nonsense . . .

I don't know, what does everyone else hate that I DON'T like? Everything I have is stuff nobody likes . . .

Probably some prog . . . people tend to hate Tool unless they're musicians, but then they won't call themselves prog . . . Rush? Most people nowadays don't like Rush. I'll go with that, as unimaginative as it is. Almost want to go with Yes, because nobody really likes them, except other musicians. Yeah, one of those.

Oh, and I have heard of Dead Can Dance. It's sweet.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
i absolutely hate Janis Joplin: She can't sing at all, to me her voice is like someone scraping six inch nails down a blackboard.

Ever since I was a little kid I've always loved the Bee Gees, but people always seem to remember them for singing their red hot pokers shoved up the arse stuff instead of the beautiful songs they used to sing in the 1960's and very early 70's: Don't forget to remember, Daytime girl, Indian Gin and Whiskey dry, One million years, saved by the bell, I am the world etc, and the albums Odessa and Cucumber castle are absolutely beautiful. - Stuff like the songs from Saturday night fever ruined the Bee Gees for me and made me ashamed of them.

Oh, and besides three songs, I don't like the Beatles either.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOVE Pink Floyd. David Gilmour is my guod.
LOVE The Beatles. Best pop band ever.
LOVE early Bee Gees.

Okay, to answer the original question....

Band that I love, that many don't: Phil Collins era Genesis. Mind you, I love the Peter Gabriel era Genesis too, but I didn't stop loving them just because Gabriel left the band.

Band that many love, that I don't: The Rolling Stones. Sure, some of the tunes were catchy, but I don't get the fervour - especially the fanaticism over the Stones in concert. Keith Richards is one of the laziest performers I've ever seen, Charlie Watts is one of the most boring drummers I've ever heard, and the whole band (Richards/Woods/Watts) is sloppy (otoh, the 'hired-gun' sidemen are killer players). The only bright spot performance-wise is Mick Jagger, and his voice grates on me.

Last edited:

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like Metallica. A lot of my friends do...but I just don't like them. I've tried to put up with their music and failed miserably.

But I love Jeffree Star. He's the kind of guy you either love or hate

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get most of what comes out now, but I particularly don't understand why The Arctic Monkeys are touted here as the future of music.

I love Jellyfish, but I don't mind that most people haven't heard of them. It makes them feel like they're mine. :D

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones at Wembley. Pink Floyd, 1988, they were brilliant and that was the best day of my life so far. Rolling Stones, 1990, they were boring and complete shite. :D
LOVE Pink Floyd. David Gilmour is my guod.
LOVE early Bee Gees.

Okay, to answer the original question....

Band that I love, that many don't: Phil Collins era Genesis. Mind you, I love the Peter Gabriel era Genesis too, but I didn't stop loving them just because Gabriel left the band.

Band that many love, that I don't: The Rolling Stones. Sure, some of the tunes were catchy, but I don't get the fervour - especially the fanaticism over the Stones in concert. Keith Richards is one of the laziest performers I've ever seen, Charlie Watts is one of the most boring drummers I've ever heard, and the whole band (Richards/Woods/Watts) is sloppy (otoh, the 'hired-gun' sidemen are killer players). The only bright spot performance-wise is Mick Jagger, and his voice grates on me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
bad lead-off example, Poet. I have two Devo cds in the car, son.

people self destruct when they look through my cds.

everybody loves Muse but I can't friggin stand them. Vehemently. If I hear that Billy Idol White Wedding knock-off song one more time, I'm going to drive into a bridge abutment.

almost nobody likes Haysi Fantayzee, but they are sadly misunderstood. Chizoola, all. Shoofly love. The world needs more new wave hootenannys, by the God! They are brilliant in their irrelevancy. They mock the world as they force them to dance and sway. I'm a Haysi.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
almost nobody likes Haysi Fantayzee, but they are sadly misunderstood. Chizoola, all. Shoofly love. The world needs more new wave hootenannys, by the God! They are brilliant in their irrelevancy. They mock the world as they force them to dance and sway. I'm a Haysi.

Watching Top of the Pops with my Mum and Dad while Haysi Fantayzee performed the world's most suggestive dance routine was a defining moment in my adolescence.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
i had jeremiah's hair. we'd sometimes get-up in punk bumpkin when hitting the clubs.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score

A priori. Easiest way to spot someone whose opinion on virtually any topic can be discounted is if they hate the Beatles.

Band that many love, that I don't: The Rolling Stones.

At the risk of getting my 60s childhood ret-conned out of existence, I'm forced to partially agree. Love the early stuff, but their last good album was Exile on Main Street. Everything from Goats Head Soup on has been pure shit.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sort-of-related story....

When I was in grade six, The Monkees TV show was in its first run on the boob-tube. In my class were identical twin brothers; one adored the pre-fab-four, the other despised them. When you're ten, stuff like that is either hilarious or makes you decide to be a geneticist when you grow up.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Pink Floyd *ducks head*

I only really like Syd Barrett. Yes, I'm a music snob.

I really like Dead Can Dance. Never heard of them? Not surprised.

I have. I actually saw Bauhas live, and they performed a cover of Dead Can Dance's Severance. I also love This Mortal Coil and the Cocteau Twins, although all of that music was more high school for me.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Bruce Springsteen. I.just.can't.stand.him.

Throw Tom Petty into that, too. Don't get either one.

But I really can't think of any bands that I like that others' loathe. Black Sabbath? Gentle Giant? Nektar? Hawkwind? Frank Zappa? Rob Zombie?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

You know, it's funny, I was going to say this in response to the second question...many people like the Rolling Stones, but I LOVE them. I know many people who love the Beatles and get really fanatical about them, read every book about them, watch every rock doc, etc. Most people seem to think the Stones are cool to listen to, and they own an album or two, and that's about it. Me? I LOVE them. I've never had the chance to see them live. I just love listening to their music. Their later music wasn't that great, but I enjoyed it when I was a young child.

And, Mick Jagger is the sexiest ugly person who ever lived.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Sort-of-related story....

When I was in grade six, The Monkees TV show was in its first run on the boob-tube. In my class were identical twin brothers; one adored the pre-fab-four, the other despised them. When you're ten, stuff like that is either hilarious or makes you decide to be a geneticist when you grow up.

That would make you about three years older than I am. It's a comfort to know I'm not the oldest one here. :)

I was so-so on the Monkees at the time. Years later, I discovered Mike Nesmith's First National Band stuff, which is by-and-large damn good, and went back to take another look at the Monkees. I liked them better the second time around. I saw the truncated version in concert in the late 80s, with a few other ancient acts. It was a good show.

When I was in 8th grade, in 1971 or 1972, there was a kid in my shop class who was a Donnie Osmond fanatic. Very strange dude.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Monkees are a very talented band who were never really appreciated in their own time. They were told that they were only actors on a TV show and not musicians, but they said, "Screw you, we're going to write music and play our own songs, whether you like it or not." They fought to become a real band, and that's freaking cool. There has never really been another group who has done anything like that before or since. Their being manufactured actually made them something special. They were four people from very different musical backgrounds who never would have formed a band together on their own, and they each brought something unique to the table.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never ever liked the Beatles. ETA: collects their albums for the 'hunt' only.

Loved loved Janis Joplin ... but best when sober

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Round two? OK, here goes...

Having shared a house with a bunch of deadheads for two years, and having listened to every long-ass version of every boring-ass song, I am qualified to call the Grateful Dead one of the most overated bands ever. Let the stoning commence!

I'll take New Order any day or, preferably, every day of the week.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Round two? OK, here goes...

Having shared a house with a bunch of deadheads for two years, and having listened to every long-ass version of every boring-ass song, I am qualified to call the Grateful Dead one of the most overated bands ever. Let the stoning commence!

I'll take New Order any day or, preferably, every day of the week.

agreed 100 times over.