I think it's time for my girl budgie (parakeet) to leave this world...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coracoid has multiple health issues, one of which is viral/bacterial/yeast. We've tested, we don't know, and it's biting her in the butt again. She's already on meds because she's pre-gout. She's spending more and more time fluffed and miserable.

I could pursue more tests, more meds, but it's all more stress, and as horrible as it sounds I'm going away soon and who is going to watch out for her and make sure she's not suffering too much throughout the day? Right now I think she's on the edge of enjoying life and suffering from multiple chronic illnesses and I can't go away again when she's worse than last time.

But it sucks to think I'm giving up and that in the next few days my little girl will be gone b/c I said so :(

Urgh

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Coracoid has multiple health issues, one of which is viral/bacterial/yeast. We've tested, we don't know, and it's biting her in the butt again. She's already on meds because she's pre-gout. She's spending more and more time fluffed and miserable.

I could pursue more tests, more meds, but it's all more stress, and as horrible as it sounds I'm going away soon and who is going to watch out for her and make sure she's not suffering too much throughout the day? Right now I think she's on the edge of enjoying life and suffering from multiple chronic illnesses and I can't go away again when she's worse than last time.

But it sucks to think I'm giving up and that in the next few days my little girl will be gone b/c I said so :(

Urgh
Don't do that to yourself. I put my dog to sleep sooner than most people would have, but it was because she was suffering. You know it's right or you wouldn't do it. It sucks that you have to be the one to make the decision, that's all.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry.

I went through a similar situation with my first cat. It's an awful feeling, I know.

:-(

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for this pain. hold on to the memories you shared, pets become family, hard to lose.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Silly little birds can be really great pets, had one that I found outside and just adored me for about 10 years until she passed. You wouldn't think so, but I was darn attached to that little guy, its a difficult time for you, wish you well....

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

She's currently enjoying veggie time with her 'boyfriend'. She gets extra food and seed treats and time on my shoulder and everything, ofc. And I'm trying to get video of her singing even though she looks a bit ratty from molting.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Fenika - the hard part of being a pet owner is that we are responsible not only for their lives, but the quality of their lives. If that little bird had been with anyone else, it would have gone to bird heaven much sooner. You have done everything you could to extend her life... it sounds like it might be time to weigh the quality vs. quantity issue.

My thoughts are with you!

huggles!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry you and your birdie are going through this. This time is the worst for pet owners, when to say your little love has had enough and their quality of life is failing to the point they are having more bad than good.
:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers again everyone.

I guess today is the day. I'm fussing over her this morning but trying not to annoy her either :eek:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that animals live in the moment.

So sorry you have to go through this. I just put my bunny down not long ago and it was so sad. I had anxiety for a month if I did the right thing, but I know it was right for him.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still wonder if euthanizing my dog two years ago was the right decision, even though she had an aggressive tumor and had previously had cancer that went into remission. I keep thinking I could have waited, could have done something more to keep her alive and with me. But, the bottom line is she was old and ill and it wasn't going to get better for her. She went to sleep in my arms with me telling her how much I loved her. Sometimes it is the best we can do for these angels in our lives, to love them enough to let them go.

I am sorry you have this decision to make. I know how much it sucks. You have my empathy.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
:e2grouphu

Sorry about your bird. I've had to make similar decisions for my cats and it's never easy. Hang in there.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers again everyone.

The regular docs aren't in till tomorrow so I decided to wait one more day. Right now she's dancing around the top of the flight cages with her boy friend (they have to be caged separate). I'm sure she'll be tired later but she's got a lot of energy right now. I'm gonna go to the store and get her some millet soon :)