PDA

View Full Version : Anyone speak Spanish?

PoppysInARow
11-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I need to know how to say "What is he doing here?" in Spanish. This is informal, the speaker is saying it to himself, of course about someone who showed up without notice. It's kind of meant to be a really shocked expression.

If anyone could help me out, that'd be fantastic.

Kaiser-Kun
11-29-2009, 07:48 AM
*raises hand* Here's how I could put it:

"Que está haciendo aquí?" (simple)

"Qué hace él aquí?" What's *he* doing here? (if you want to emphasize the surprise)

JulieHowe
11-29-2009, 09:10 AM
I need to know how to say "What is he doing here?" in Spanish. This is informal, the speaker is saying it to himself, of course about someone who showed up without notice. It's kind of meant to be a really shocked expression.

If anyone could help me out, that'd be fantastic.

Please note this is Chicano slang.

Q-Vo? What's Up? More likely to be said directly to the person. The tone of voice conveys it all. It could be confrontational, friendly or questioning. You wouldn't say it in a boardroom (at least I wouldn't) or when you shook the President's hand after you crashed his formal dinner party. It's very casual.

Orale. Hello/Hey/Okay, also used to indicate surprise. The meaning of orale depends on the speaker's attitude and tone of voice. I think this one's more appropriate than Q-Vo in the situation you've described, a person talking to himself.

Kaiser-Kun
11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Where did the character learnt his spanish? It changes a lot depending on the region. For example, like the user above said, Qvo? would work, but it could also be written as "Qiubo?" (more frequent mexican spelling) or "Qué hubo?" (the formal way to say it).

PoppysInARow
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
His first language is Spanish, and he's orginally from Colombia.