BookExpo America

Status
Not open for further replies.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone planning to attend in 2010, or has anyone here attended in the last few years? Just wondering about your experience, if so.

I haven't attended an expo in NYC since the early 90's; it's a new world in publishing since then and I'm not sure how helpful such venues are nowadays to authors, especially when one has to travel and when the publisher doesn't have a booth.

In a quick perusal of the website (www.bookexpoamerica.com), I don't see an option for authors to exhibit. I thought with self-publishing being so prevalent now, whereas it wasn't in the early 90's, they could get a booth.

Are there any opportunities there, other than pure luck-of-the-draw networking that might take place, for authors when the publisher isn't involved?

Thanks!

LovetoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
nccreative - I checked out their website and found this information. It appears they do accept self-published. It would probably be best if you call them and ask outright to be sure. There is a phone number to call at the end of this form.

http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/RNA/RNA_BookExpoUS/PDFs/2010/SpacePricing-WritersRow-IndependentPublishers.pdf

After further research of the site I found that this years 2009 BEA had this

Friday, May 29, 2009
"Big Ideas at BEA" Conference Sessions

10:30 – 11:30 am
Room 1E03
Successful Self-Publishing & Distribution through CreateSpace: A Session for Independent Authors & Small Publishers
CreateSpace, a member of the Amazon group of companies, provides one of the easiest and most economical ways for authors and publishers to print and distribute books on Amazon.com and other channels. During this session, we'll discuss the benefits of print-on-demand, particularly in this economy, how to use the CreateSpace platform, and tips for success once your work is in print.
Presenter: Aaron Martin

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, LovetoWrite! Much appreciated. :)

The books are published through a small niche publisher in England, but they won't have a presence there. I just don't see how an author can gain much by simply going -- other than sheer luck of running into someone of import. And the cost of getting a booth is steep for one person.

That first link was very, very helpful. Thank you!

:)

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to say that I think that form is more for publishers than self-published authors. I don't think there are many authors out there who could just spend $2000 on a table for the weekend. I know it's good exposure, but you are going to end up losing a great deal of money in the deal.

A better idea would be to just go to the Expo, sit in on the panels and make some contacts. Show your book to a few people, see if you can make any sales to any independent bookstores, or set up signings at those bookstores. I just wouldn't shell out all that money when you can get this kind of exposure for the $50 ticket it probably costs just to attend for the weekend.

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
Bringing the thread back to life - Has anyone gone to Book Expo America and been able to find an agent? I know many agents go to conferences and things, so I was wondering. Also, if not, what upcoming conventions are there that have pitch sessions with agents?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I wouldn't go to Book Expo looking for an agent--it's aimed at publishers, not writers. Why not go to one of the big writing conventions instead?

Worldcon's usually pretty great.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's a rights fair, I think.

That means it's an event where agents and publishers pitch and license foreign and subsidiary rights. It's not a place for authors to find agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.