• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers sought (thriller / suspense / action)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for people willing to read up to 115 pages of what I'm working on. I've completed the first act, and am about to embark on the second.

Here's the kicker: I'm mostly looking for male readers. I think of my story as a guy story (man tries to save son from those out to do him harm), but out of 10 or so readers, I'm the only guy who's read it, and I know I'm pretty biased.

You can read as little or as much as you like. My hope is that what you read makes you want to read more. ;)

Below a sample of my writing style, from the book, so you can decide if it's the sort of thing you're interested in beta-reading.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Four hundred yards away, Preston Rudolph lay stretched on his belly in the cracked dirt, peering through the combination day-night scope attached to the AR-15 rifle he held. He wished he had something more suited for the task at hand, but when he and Glenn left Transgenix, he hadn't expected to need to take any distance shots like this. At least the rifle was equipped with a sound suppressor. With any luck, he could make all three shots without attracting the attention of all the other cops, and hoof it over to one of the roads leading out of Groom Lake so Glenn could pick him up after he dealt with Brown and Johnson. Whittle's plan wasn't the best one, Rudolph thought, but it just might work. Besides, he liked a challenge.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The cool ground leached the heat from his body, even though the air was warm, and he shivered. The heady smell of the creosote bushes dotting the land reminded him of the railroad tracks running behind the house he grew up in, and what he used to do back there to the stray dogs that wandered through on occasion. Through the scope he watched the man, the boy, and the patrolman in the eldritch green light, waiting to take his first shot if the goddamn man would ever get out of the way. All he could see of the boy was the very edge of his head, peeking out on one side of the man. The boy had to be first, so neither adult had a chance to try and be a hero. He had never killed a child, and the thought of bagging his first sent a thrill through him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There. The boy was walking around the Jeep, doing something in the passenger side. Rudolph watched as he rummaged around for a moment, then went back and held something out to the cop. Rudolph tracked the boy until he was back with the man, standing still, then twisted the power ring on the scope and zoomed in until the boy's head filled his view. At this magnification every beat of his heart caused the reticle to jump, and Rudolph wished he had a bipod to rest the rifle on.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wish in one hand and spit in the other, he thought, and tightened his finger against the trigger.[/FONT]

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a chick but I read boy books. Does that count? Anyway I'm interested but it would be next weekend at the earliest before I could get started (busy time of year right now), but if you still want someone and don't mind the fact that I have a vagina, toss me a PM and let me know. :)

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a chick but I read boy books. Does that count? Anyway I'm interested but it would be next weekend at the earliest before I could get started (busy time of year right now), but if you still want someone and don't mind the fact that I have a vagina, toss me a PM and let me know. :)
Thank you for the offer!

I think I misstated my original post. I'm not against women reading it -- the detail that I left out is that only women have read it so far, like 10 of them. That's actually why I was looking for male readers, not because I'm sexist or anything. :)

I'll be glad to send it to you! PM on the way.

(and now I'm going back to edit that post)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I didn't take it that way at all. ;) I just knew I wasn't exactly what you were asking for, but was also interested. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.