Victorian "White Pages"??

SMAdams

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how someone living in London in the 1860's would find someone's address? Say I know a person's name, but I want to find their address and maybe marriage records. My character is a Scotland Yard detective so might have more access to things than the average person.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Head down to...

Genres Historical and look at the sticky called Resources by Era. You will find a Victorian section full of resources which will answer your question.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There were various directories, classified business directories, street lists, alphabetical lists, etc. Such lists were the origins of telephone directories and only disappeared in the 1990's in the U.S.A. I don't kow the names of the particular directories, but you probably can find that in a search, and there might be examples in you local library.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly's Post Office Directory - lists streets and residents.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Kelly's would certainly be the first source, but it didn't list everyone - at this time it was mainly limited to gentry and tradespeople. For working people Stijn is right and parish records would be the best place to start.

For marriage records, the first port of call would have been Somerset House in London, where the Registrar of Births,Marriages, and Deaths had been established since the 1830s. A birth entry would also be the first step in finding someone who's not in Kelly's - it would give you the parish of birth which is where you'd start looking. The population was much less mobile back then, and there might still be family in the area or people who remembered them.

Louise

SMAdams

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are the best. I found everything I needed. Thanks a million.