depression in hospital

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi ,
My character is a adopted girl Her sister finds that she is in England.
but she is highly depressed.
iwhat I want to know can her sisters take her out ? Should they do DNA test ?
Also what name can I give for a hospital which takes care of such patients AND THANKS

Padma

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
If the sister's mental state required that she sectioned, then it would be in a psychiatric hospital; things would have to be pretty bad for her to be in hospital though. Can't comment on DNA testing; patients can leave wards (depending on how ill/safe they are) for short periods, but the 'healthy' sister may have trouble being allowed to visit if she isn't a definite relative and it would be highly doubtful that she could have the sister released from hospital care.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I've got a follow up question, since this is also something that is relevant for my current novel. When a doctor suspects that a patient is depressed, what happens then? What are the procedures and who gets contacted? What are their titles and functions? Is medication standard procedure, or is it only in the extreme cases?

Thanks

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a follow up question, since this is also something that is relevant for my current novel. When a doctor suspects that a patient is depressed, what happens then? What are the procedures and who gets contacted? What are their titles and functions? Is medication standard procedure, or is it only in the extreme cases?

Thanks

If this is still in the UK, then a doctor may diagnose a patient with depression (in the case of Post-Natal Depression, the Edinburgh scale could be used) or could give a referral to a psychiatrist for depression. A doctor could also discuss medication and/or therapy (IE CBT or counselling). A good doctor would also suggest blood tests to rule out physical conditions (IE thyroid problems). Medication is flung about quite easily here, but the question can have a variety of outcomes; one doctor would ignore the possibility of depression, another would fling medication at a patient, another would tell the patient to get a grip and then you've got the decent doctors who care.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
If this is still in the UK, then a doctor may diagnose a patient with depression (in the case of Post-Natal Depression, the Edinburgh scale could be used) or could give a referral to a psychiatrist for depression. A doctor could also discuss medication and/or therapy (IE CBT or counselling). A good doctor would also suggest blood tests to rule out physical conditions (IE thyroid problems). Medication is flung about quite easily here, but the question can have a variety of outcomes; one doctor would ignore the possibility of depression, another would fling medication at a patient, another would tell the patient to get a grip and then you've got the decent doctors who care.

In my case the depression is the result of a stroke, and they all know that the depression is a direct result of the physical condition, and they expected it to come even before they see symptoms. As far as I know depressions are a pretty standard reaction to having a stroke. The difference seems to be in intensity rather than if.

Thanks for the various doctor scenarios.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
In that case, there's usually considerable involvement anyway. The depression could be spotted by a number of people and would probably be dealt with differently compared to the 'average' person just going to their GP.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Rarri but can the healthy sister show the relevant documents and get her released . She finds this sister from an adopted forum.
padma

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Rarri I have to than change my story a little
where can a depressed sister be lodged in England , when she have no relatives or
friends. It is important that this adopted sister be depressed
and my mc should find her.I appreciate all suggestions .
padma

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Family or no family, if the sister is that ill that she needs to be kept safe from herself or others, then she would be in a psychiatric hospital. Is it not possible for the sister to be depressed but remain in her own home?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Rarri I have to than change my story a little
where can a depressed sister be lodged in England , when she have no relatives or
friends. It is important that this adopted sister be depressed
and my mc should find her.I appreciate all suggestions .
padma

In a large city or smaller town?
The sister might well find lodgings in a cheap bed and breakfast, or possibly a hostel of some kind (YWCA perhaps)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
As a surgeon I can tell you that once in a while patients do get clinically depressed while they are in the hospital for other reasons. What usually happens is a transfer of care at a point that barring the depression the patient would have been discharged is instead transferred to the psychiatric ward, and they are encouraged that this is all a normal part of the healing process. There is no reason to be ashamed.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
Great Thanks all . Actually my theme is about adoption and as I wanted to touch my reader's heart . I thought hospital will do but as I had doubts I approached you all. Now I have to show it in a different way and thanks for all your suggestions. I love this thread , as whenever I approach here with my problems you do have solutions .
padma