Writing a memoir...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterLoriOU2000

Registered
Reaction score
Detroit, MI U.S.A. (Northern Suburbs-Oakland Count
Trying to start it, but not sure if I'm ready for it. My story is pretty interesting, so I'm sure it will get published as long as the writing is okay. One thing I know is writing a book gives you freedom to write as you choose. There is no AP Style format to comply with. I am holding off finishing it, even after I start it because I have yet to realize my goals I am working for. Although, just getting my story published is a goal in itself that would lead me to the opportunities to achieve my other goals. Some of it is pretty dark, but it was the reality of my life. It's something like, "A Million Little Pieces," but without the lies. lol. The stuff I lived through I don't have to make up! One thing I am going to do is read as many memoirs as I can to get a feel for how others did it.

Last edited:

WriterLoriOU2000

Registered
Reaction score
Detroit, MI U.S.A. (Northern Suburbs-Oakland Count
I just googled "memoirs" and found a sub-type of memoir known as "misery lit" or "inspirational lit." Lucky for me, it said this type of book is in a boom right now. I can believe it. But how can mine stand out from others? I think what James Frey did was awful and insulting to those who have really gone through the hell of addiction. Not only that, he cast a shadow on all writers of memoirs in that he destroyed the trust that readers have that what they are buying is the real deal. Thank God for the "The Smoking Gun" site for ferreting out the truth when it comes to news stories of all kinds.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Check out the forum devoted to this genre

Hi WriterLoriOU2000

There's a whole forum devoted to memoirs, under Genre Specific called Bio, Autobio, and Memoir. I don't offer any easy answers to your questions, but I think you'll find lots of encouragement and enthusiasm and hopefully a few answers.

To make yours "stand out" tell your authentic story in a strong, clear authorial voice. In that regard it's no different than any other good writing.

See you down in the Bio/Autobio/Memoir forum.

Jerry

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Lucky for me, it said this type of book is in a boom right now.

It's booming in bookshops now, but those manuscripts were bought two years ago. I think the boom in publishers buying them is tailing off now.

Which doesn't mean your book can't sell! I don't mean to discourage you AT ALL.

Just realise that you're really going to have to make yours stand head-and-shoulders above the crowd. The fact that you have good enough writing skills to write your own manuscript is a big check in the plus column. But you really are going to have to wring yourself emotionally to get every drop of blood, sweat, and tears onto the page. That's really, Really, REALLY hard, but if you can do it, there's your best chance in selling your story.

Oh, and I co-ghostwrote a miz-lit memoir: Belonging, by Sameem Ali. It didn't get a US deal, but I think you can find it as an import at online booksellers, if you want to read one about forced marriage (not arranged marriage, forced marriage). We caught the front of the wave, and the book came out just as it started to peak.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.