End of the year top threads?

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
I joined AW in September, so I wasn't around last year at this time. Will we have a poll for best threads of 2009? I think it's a good idea, especially for those of us that recently joined. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I...Will we have a poll for best threads of 2009?
I've never seen such a poll, but chances are it would turn into a popularity contest, which never end well. We'd be better off with a poll that asked, "Who's Your Favorite Mod?" and watch them all die with envy when Silver King won with 99.99% of the votes. :Thumbs:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen such a poll, but chances are it would turn into a popularity contest, which never end well. We'd be better off with a poll that asked, "Who's Your Favorite Mod?" and watch them all die with envy when Silver King won with 99.99% of the votes. :Thumbs:

:evil

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Hm, I thought it could be cool, but I do see the possibility for a popularity contest. I suppose it could just be a place where we link to the threads that individually helped us the most this past year. :)

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I thought it could be cool, but I do see the possibility for a popularity contest. I suppose it could just be a place where we link to the threads that individually helped us the most this past year. :)

Or you could just let people work it out for themselves.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Part of the thing is that different writers bring different areas of need, just as they bring different areas of expertise. What helps me might not help you, and vice versa.

I have a ton of favorite, helpful threads. It's hard to say what I might read that causes the rusty little gears in my brain to suddenly achieve enough motion to turn over -- it might be as simple as someone saying "there's a dynamic you achieve when what your protagonist wants is in direct opposition to what he needs"--but that's a single post in a multi-page thread.

The Learn Writing With Uncle Jim thread, for example, is one thread that I link to again and again, year after year.

What thread or piece of advice have you found especially helpful, Regan?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! And our dear brainstorm is exactly the reason why SK wouldn't run the table and capture 100% of the votes. :D
You could try that approach and see how it goes. I like the idea, and I think you can frame the discussion so that the content of the links, and not the posters themselves, are highlighted.

Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is the thread will be closed and you'll be banned from AW for life. (Kidding!) ;)

ETA: Oops. Didn't see Mac's post before replying...

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I think we're mostly in agreement, Dino. :) You just said it better than me.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Anyway, how 'bout a "Top Locked Threads"? Or maybe a "Top Threads That SK Ported To TIO"? Or "Top Threads Wherein Mac Is Called A Fascist"?
All of those are worthy topics. Regan may as well title her thread, "Worst of the Worse of 2009!"

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Or you could just let people work it out for themselves.

It's not like people don't already. But this is a big forum... Just a suggestion. Not really seeing any harm in the suggestion. :Shrug:

Part of the thing is that different writers bring different areas of need, just as they bring different areas of expertise. What helps me might not help you, and vice versa.

I have a ton of favorite, helpful threads. It's hard to say what I might read that causes the rusty little gears in my brain to suddenly achieve enough motion to turn over -- it might be as simple as someone saying "there's a dynamic you achieve when what your protagonist wants is in direct opposition to what he needs"--but that's a single post in a multi-page thread.

The Learn Writing With Uncle Jim thread, for example, is one thread that I link to again and again, year after year.

What thread or piece of advice have you found especially helpful, Regan?

I agree that everyone has their favs and different areas of the board that they flock to for whatever reason.

I love the SYW threads the most because I learn from the crits of others. (I won't list specific ones because it seems that this could go in the negative direction others have mentioned.) I also enjoy the blog updates because it makes it easy to go to someone's blog, knowing they've updated and on what topic they are discussing.

Being a newbie editing a WIP, I have yet to venture into Query Hell much. Every time I do, I get intimidated. I'm not at that step, yet. However, I'm sure that others have found certain threads there that are extremely helpful. :)

Again, not sure I will be going fwd with this idea since it looks like it could become volatile. And as much as I love to start an arguement... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm STILL finding old threads that I'd never seen before that I wished I'd come across earlier. :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... a poll for 'the best threads' would probably translate to 'what are your favorite threads' for many, and that data could be obtained w/o a poll by looking at which threads get the most hits and posts per year. So phrasing it 'the most helpful' threads, instead, as mentioned upstream might be a better way to go if you do the poll, as that's probably more what you're after. With links that might really be neat. There are probably lots of good threads here that I and others haven't never investigated, simply because we've never ventured into them for one reason and another. A bit of fanfare or advertisement would fix that.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Funny Sk... Yer ok for a fish! :tongue

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Rolling Thunder once spliced together a bunch of smack-downs I've posted over the years, and posted 'em in mod.

It was really scary, all of 'em put together like that.

Reaction score
Oh ghod...how on earth would you limit that to a reasonable number?
We could filter it down to, say, "Best Mac Fascist Thread: no Godwin" and "Best Buster Nazi Thread: SP didn't get called out by a mod" and suchlike.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Rolling Thunder once spliced together a bunch of smack-downs I've posted over the years, and posted 'em in mod.

He did the same with a bunch of Haggis' jokes. It was like watching a Red Buttons movie...

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
There are probably lots of good threads here that I and others haven't never investigated, simply because we've never ventured into them for one reason and another.

Yes, this was one of the main reasons for my suggestion. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great threads! :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score

Dang, I must've missed that one.

*Leaves thread to read RT's anthology of Mac's smack-downs, which may take a while. See you again some time after Christmas!*

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Dang, I must've missed that one.

*Leaves thread to read RT's anthology of Mac's smack-downs, which may take a while. See you again some time after Christmas!*
I don't remember where it was, and it's been a while, or I'd send you a link. :) I printed it out and pinned it over my desk for a long time, just to remind myself to chill.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember where it was, and it's been a while, or I'd send you a link. :) I printed it out and pinned it over my desk for a long time, just to remind myself to chill.
If it's not too much trouble, could you make a copy and mail it to me? I can't find it in the Super Secret, Nonexistent Room. ;)