Thank you for your comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippecanoe1841

Dead poets live forever.
Registered
Reaction score
I am the moron who burned his book research in July. I have read each and every one of your comments, and appreciate them all-both the supportive ones and the critical ones. I greatly regret what I did that night-I let my emotions get the best of me. I have revived my book project, albeit a scaled down version. My book will not be a comprehensive biography of William Henry Harrison. It will cover his brief presidency, illness, and untimely death, and the shock waves it sent through the frontier nation. I will probably self-publish it (not vanity publishing, though). Thank you all for your encouragement and criticism. The posters on this board are knowledgeable and kind.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Tippecanoe1841. As I wrote in the original thread, you have a great loss with the loss of your research, but a fresh outlook can be much a greater outcome. Best wishes to you.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Use the fresh start as a means of thinking on the project anew. Look for angles you may not have seen the first time around, picking up on the ideas you originally had.

Good luck.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back!

I was recently tempted to delete my novel and burn all notes. I keep telling others that this is a tough business but I don't like it so much when it's me who's struggling!

One thing I hope you include in your book is what the doomsday folks were saying at the time. I'm sure there are those who said that the country could never survive the death of the president. My personal belief is that there are always people on both sides--Polly Annas and Chicken Littles--and the events of history rather than any vision on their part is what makes people famous.

Tippecanoe1841

Dead poets live forever.
Registered
Reaction score
Chris, you nailed it! People were scared, especially in the frontier. It was the first time a U.S. president had died in office, and many thought it was God passing judgement on the United States. Harrison was elected, rightly or wrongly, as the populist candidate, much in the same manner as Andrew Jackson had been. I agree with you that the "events of history," i.e. being in a certain place at a certain time in history, is what makes people famous. Thank you for your thoughful reply.

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
Chris, you nailed it! People were scared, especially in the frontier. It was the first time a U.S. president had died in office, and many thought it was God passing judgement on the United States. Harrison was elected, rightly or wrongly, as the populist candidate, much in the same manner as Andrew Jackson had been. I agree with you that the "events of history," i.e. being in a certain place at a certain time in history, is what makes people famous. Thank you for your thoughful reply.

Now you really make me want to read it! I'm so glad you're back...

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Burnt notes and nearly a novel?! Good grief fellas that's passionate devotion to art but I couldn't call it moronic, no way. Suicidal I think the basis, the urge to end the struggle and probably start again. Maybe you tuned into feelings of the time, deeply involved as you were / are?

You may discount that as hoohaa but similar shifts have happened to me when I've become deeply involved with my characters. Luckily with the help of my nearest and dearest I've objectivized it by talking it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.