Are you familiar with New York City?

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Okay, looking for someone who is familiar with New York City. I’m wondering if you could tell me what part of the city would be a likely place to find an abandoned warehouse or abandoned building. It can be any area, I’m sure there are several areas but if there is aperhaps one that is close to a smaller business district that would be great, but it doesn't have to be.

Cheers

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
They're all over the place--near the river in the Meatpacking District could work, but it really depends on what kind of ambiance you're looking for.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Noah. My MC journey begins in an area of town that is bursting with activity, office types, men in suits, busy intersections...etc... I want him to be within a couple miles of an abandoned warehouse. is the meat packing district within in a couple miles of an area like that?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
The meatpacking district is really trendy right now. I'd be surprised if there were still abandoned warehouses that haven't been bought and developed, but there might be a few sprinkled around. Are you looking for a desolate area, or just an old warehouse?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
There are no abandoned warehouses in Manhattan. The property is too valuable. You could have the warehouse in another borough, like Brooklyn or Queens.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There are no abandoned warehouses in Manhattan. The property is too valuable.

This is false.

There are thousands of abandoned buildings in Manhattan; the areas with the highest concentration of them are Inwood and Harlem.

You'll find photos of currently abandoned New York buildings here.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Abandoned Building or warehouse...either one is fine. I just want it to be believable that my MC could go (walking) from a business district to an abandoned building/warehouse (a couple miles away is fine). Does the meatpacking district have an area where there would be large businesses/ tall buildings/people in suits/bustling intersection...etc.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I asked a friend of mine who works in NYC. This is what he suggests:

If Manhattan is where they're looking to locate, NoHo and SoHo are ideal, though the rent may be high. Those are the neighborhoods North of Houston Street (NoHo) and South of Houston (SoHo). The Meat-Packing district may be a good area to check too (its North of the Village, West Side.
Also, ChinaTown or right by South Street Seaport.
ANYWHERE along the West Side in general might be good as well. The Hudson River has almost all of the sea trade, shipping & water tourism, so a lot of the warehouses are in THAT area. Pretty much the Village Area, up into the 40's.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
There's also realtor sites out there. Search for commercial properties and you'll see a sampling of what's available, though "warehouses" might be tough. corcoran.com is one.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
This is false.

There are thousands of abandoned buildings in Manhattan; the areas with the highest concentration of them are Inwood and Harlem.

You'll find photos of currently abandoned New York buildings here.
Buildings yes, Warehouses, which was the question, No.

So your post is false. Please read the question before you announce to the world that I'm a moron.

Thousands of them is ridiculous too. I doubt there are hundreds, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe, but it's the second time she misquoted me. The first was when she announced that my acceptance by an agency had nothing to do with me and everything to do with the famous people in my book, which was wrong as well, since the names were changed and I queried it as a novel.

Maybe it feels personal because it is. If it's not, then I;m wrong. but I'll tell you what I'm not wrong about is there not being abandoned warehouses in Manhattan. I lived in New York for 45 years, I lived two blocks from the meat district.

Zero, none, nada, zilch. No there aren't any abandoned warehouses there.

If you find one I'll buy the fucker myself.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, guy... better get the methadone prescription refilled. Lots of hostility here. I hope you're not as in-your-face in real life as you are through the anonymous innernet.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing anonymous about me. The first thing I will reveal about myself is that I don't take methadone or any other drug.

Another thing is this. I won't be trolled or insulted as a writer. If I am, I'll get in your face. I don't do it anyone, and I wont have it done to me.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
A thought: What is the reason for the abandoned warehouse? Do you need a huge, gloomy space? Or just an area that is somewhat inaccessible and empty? Is the MC meeting an underworld guy, or just looking for some privacy with a friend?

Rather than look for a huge empty warehouse, how about slipping down the firestairs to that floor where that brokerage firm went out of business last year? You might get the same feel, it would be a lot more plausible, and you don't really have to frame out the setting much more than that. Darn near any building would do, too. Given the recessions, I would imagine that any building in NYC has a floor or two without tenants.

Now, if you are running a car chase through there, you'd need a warehouse....