PDA

View Full Version : Your writing setup

Technophobe
11-25-2009, 07:01 AM
This is a two-part question. Part one: what kind of writing setup do you have (i.e., where is it, what tools do you use, what do absolutely have to have)? And part two: if money and space were no issue, what would your dream setup be?

KTC
11-25-2009, 07:12 AM
now...glass table. laptop. chair.

if i were a rich man, ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum...glass table. laptop. chair.

Bubastes
11-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Have to have: my Alphasmart Neo, pen, notebook, water bottle.

If money and space were no object, same setup, plus a small beach house.

Fillanzea
11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Ikea desk with lots of vertical storage and whiteboard, computer, tons of clutter.

Netbook for trekking out to libraries and cafes.

Supposedly it's bad feng shui to have your office and your bed in the same room. It's unavoidable right now because of my roommate situation, but if I had a ton of money, that's the first thing I'd change.

Matera the Mad
11-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Large monitor squarely in front of my face (no scrooching over a dinky laptop), full-size keyboard with wide backspace key (you'll never guess why) and Winamp with a few good internet radio stations for when I'm tired of my eternal perpetual playlist of tracker tunes.

Feng shui be damned, I've got so much crap piled up between my computer corner and my sleeping nest that it's like another wall anyway. :ROFL:

BigWords
11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Laptop, coffee, cigarettes. Jack Daniels is optional, but advised.

DannySherbet
11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
This is a two-part question. Part one: what kind of writing setup do you have (i.e., where is it, what tools do you use, what do absolutely have to have)? And part two: if money and space were no issue, what would your dream setup be?

In response to part one: a desk in the spare room, with a PC, a dictionary and a thesaurus, and an endless supply of freshly-brewed coffee.

In response to part two: see above. I don't think a breahtaking, panaromic view and regular shoulder massages would improve my writing.

Priene
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Settee, laptop.

Come the glorious day: settee, laptop, panoramic view over the alps.

Stijn Hommes
11-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Part 1: I use an old computer in my bedroom; occasionally I do my writing or brainstorming on a pad of paper while travelling on some form of public transport.

Part 2: Dream setup: Better computer; big screen; separate writing area + view of the river Thames and downtown London.

thethinker42
11-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Laptop. Cat. Water bottle. Notebook. Government issue desk. Broken desk chair stolen from an aircraft carrier a few years ago.

Ideal setup: Same, except a slightly bigger desk and a comfier chair.

ejaycee
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Enormous, second-hand desk. Large flatscreen monitor with gorgeous little japanese figurine things stuck to the top with blu-tack, smaller box monitor (just what I call them!) to the left of it, only ever connected when needed. Lots of writing books and a thesaurus piled on one side, lamp on the other, along with a filing thingummy with lots of paper and stuff in it. Mac Mini. Speakers so that I can turn my dramatic music to full blast. Comfy chair. Pink toy cat thing I've had since I was eight. This set of special dice with words on them for inspiration. Wacom tablet and pen. A twenty cent coin for flipping when bored.

Dream setup would be all that, but cleaner. And more figurine things. :D

frisco
11-25-2009, 04:04 PM
My current set up is a large, rectangle dinner table clear of clutter. I have my lap top and an add on keybboard and mouse.

If I was rich I'd use the same set up, but i'd have a sexy girl rubbing my shoulders while I typed and a cheerleader squad cheering me on with every keystroke.

OK, maybe it would just be a full sized keyboard instead on the mini keyboard i'm using, but that doesn't sound nearly as much fun.

Adam
11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I have - Fair sized desk, big ass PC, decent keyboard and mouse, comfiest chair known to man.

I want - The same, only in a nice little cottage with another desk backing onto mine with my sweetie writing on it. I know, sickeningly soppy. ;)

Linda Adams
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
This is a two-part question. Part one: what kind of writing setup do you have (i.e., where is it, what tools do you use, what do absolutely have to have)?

It's a desk and file cabinet in the dining room, with a desktop computer, monitor, printer, and scanner. I hate the desk--amazed at how all these "handy" nooks and crannies are useless for storage of everything except dust--and want to replace it.

And part two: if money and space were no issue, what would your dream setup be?

A separate room with a large window--nice view outside required--decorated in an island-style. As much unoffice-like as I could get it. Bookcases along one wall, a nice, normal desk rather than a computer desk, and a wicker chair and a small coffee table (for spreading out revisions). I'd also need a more unoffice-like file cabinet. I'm guessing I'd probably need some small side tables for the scanner and printer also--I never have enough room for all the additional equipment. An indoor palm tree, too. though probably a fake one.

Picture of the desk (http://www.dlgallerygifts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DO&Product_Code=PL-33&Category_Code=tccm)

Bookcase (http://www.dlgallerygifts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DO&Product_Code=DL-677&Category_Code=vho)

Paint color I'd have to think about and try out. Same with the art, area rug, and curtains/shades. Definitely hardwood floors.

Phaeal
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I have PCs, both at home and work. Lately I've been doing a lot of longhand writing. For said longhand writing, I MUST have:

--Parker Jotter pens (my current favs have fushia, aqua and lime green barrels)

--Jotter refills

--The greatest spiral notebooks ever devised by the mind of man: Cambridge Limited, hardcover with a magnetic flap that holds the notebook closed; inside the flap, an elastic loop to hold the Parker Jotter pen, a plastic insert page with two pockets to hold loose papers; a sheet of page labels and tabs; low-glare paper, with just the right line-spacing. All for $7.99! Perfection.

-- Good coffee shop. Lattes. Lots of lattes.

If I were rich, I'd have a stable of laptops to take around to coffee shops, because if I were rich, it wouldn't be a catastrophe if I dropped the laptop or spilled latte into it. I'd also be writing in a self-designed study with attached screenporch auxiliary study on Cape Cod.

Freelancer
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
1. Desktop Computer with Ergonomic Natural Keyboard (That is essential) or my trustworthy Laptop (Depends what I do on the other computer, so this used to change day by day. But both are on the very same large desk.), my comfortable leather "Captain's chair", Tea, Coke Light or Coffee (So something with caffeine.), Large speakers.

2. Same setup as above.

DeleyanLee
11-25-2009, 06:34 PM
1. Recliner chair, light blanket over my legs, laptop in lap, cat sleeping across my shins, beverage at hand on the side table, noise-blocking earphones playing music.

2. Why mess with perfection?

Jamesaritchie
11-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Current setup for first drafts is a fine pen with a custom grip, and a nice, thick book of lined paper. Location often depends on the weather. When it's bad, I sit in my office and write, or sometimes go to a private reading/writing room at the library. Our library has a coffee/snack/sandwich bar, so I can stay there as long as necessary.

When the weather is great, I tend to write outside, sometimes a couple of miles out in the woods, sometimes at a local art park just down the street from the library.

Current setup for final drafts is an office with a desktop computer and a comfortable chair. . .one I can kickback and nap in when get too sleepy to write.

Setup were I filthy rich? Roughly the same, though I'd probably own a nice house along the western shore of Ireland.

The Lonely One
11-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I prefer dining room tables. There's something romantic about it. I, on rare occasion, use a typewriter for first drafts of short things or beginnings of musings. But otherwise it's the laptop. I rarely hand-write but it's been known to happen. Half the trouble of that is being able to translate my own handwriting later.

Once and a while at outside locales or libraries.

If money were no issue I think I would travel to places similar to what I was writing about. Spend time in certain cities, cafes, whatever, watching people. Getting a feel. And I would have a suit made out of money, of course.

EDIT: if money were no issue I'd be flying a motorized hand-glider over some foreign coast and trying to make it through helicopter-hung rings like Pilotwings.

Michael J. Hoag
11-25-2009, 09:23 PM
All over the walls like Stravinsky and Vonnegut.

If I were rich? Nicer walls.

CaroGirl
11-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Currently: Frigid basement office with a high window and no view, messy corner desk, full-screen monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, hard-drive.

Filthy rich: Main floor office with a view of the woods, tidy desk facing the window with the view, and then all the same stuff as above. Plus a large and bottomless glass of Chateauneuf du Pape (because I'd be able to afford cases of it).

LostInReality
11-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Part One: beat-up old desk that might have been new before the Cold War, a corkboard and dry-erase board, computer, pen, paper....and an iced carmel latte on IV drip

Part Two: same set up, except a window overlooking the ocean

MGraybosch
11-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's my current setup:

A table in a corner at the local Barnes & Noble's cafe.
13" MacBook with 2GB RAM running OS 10.6.2
Latest version of Scrivener on virtual desktop 1
Dictionary.app on virtual desktop 2
16GB first-gen iPod Touch with Nobuo Uematsu's The Black Mages albums on repeat/shuffle
Sennheiser PX-200 headphones.
A bottle of water and a cinnamon scone.

My ideal setup:

A small study in my own house with a paid-off mortgage with a nice, comfy chair.
A cuddly kitty curled up at my feat, or sitting on the desk watching me.
a 21" iMac, with a 13" Macbook Pro for mobile work.
A Satanophonic 666.1 surround-sound rig. :)

Mr Flibble
11-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Um, I think there's a desk under all these bits of paper...And there's definitely a PC cos I can see the monitor and spill tea on the keyboard. I have piccies of my heroes around me, for drooling, inspiration. If I need a change of scenery, I've got a nice laptop too. Tea is essential, along with the ciggies.

If I was rich, I'd have a bigger desk ( for more bits of paper) and a nice shack in the middle of nowhere to put it. With leccy for the PC and kettle and fridge.

bsolah
11-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Best place to work is in my study nook thing in our town house, but will write on the kitchen table if I feel like sitting near my partner, will write at work, and have written in pubs and cafes.

I work with my MacBook Pro 13" using Scrivener for novels or just Pages for short stories or flash. I sometimes use music, and depending on how serious I am, have snacks and drinks on hand.

I think the dream setting would be different mainly in regards to the desk, it would be bigger nicer, more organised with a hutch for reference books on the top, Bluetooth speakers in each room so my music stays on now matter where I sit without changing cords.

I don't like to work in a closed off office type space as I like people milling around near my and like to still be near my partner even if I'm off in my own little world.

Oh and less work and more time to use said space would be nice.

Shadow_Ferret
11-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Laptop. TV table.

If money were no object.

Laptop. TV table.
Large monitor squarely in front of my face (no scrooching over a dinky laptop), full-size keyboard with wide backspace key (you'll never guess why) ...

My laptop actually has a larger monitor then by desktop. And it has a full sized keyboard.

batsofchaos
11-26-2009, 04:07 AM
For writing: A second-hand desk with a laptop in a dark room next to the bed.
For artwork: Usually the coffee table, occasionally the kitchen table with supplies that get put up in our craft shelves. Also, same as writing space for digital work.

If money were no object (or rather, what I'm working towards acquiring):
For writing: A laptop or desktop on a bigger, more easily used desk. Preferably in a different room than the bedroom, maybe an art study.
For artwork: An adjustable drafting table with a built-in lightbox, with lots of natural and artificial light in its own space (art study). For digital work, a desktop with an HDTV for a monitor, a wacom tablet, and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Oh man, I'm drooling.

William Haskins
11-26-2009, 04:41 AM
crucifix. spray paint. gun.

scarletpeaches
11-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Laptop. Settee.

Ideal set-up? Laptop. Settee. Shannon Leto waiting for me in the bedroom.

icerose
11-26-2009, 05:03 AM

I have my laptop which I use wherever, usually on my bed or on the futon couch. I have my desk top which is on an overcrowded desk, due to my kids throwing everything they get in school on it along with anything in the house they feel like setting down and me trying to find my desk every single week. I have a metal chair which is definitely not preferable, and no personal space.

If money were no object I would have a writing office...make that a sound proof writing office so I could lock myself in it and shut the world out. Furthermore I'd have a large flat screen instead of this fifteen year old monitor I am currently trying not to kill. I would have a very comfy chair. My desk would have lots of storage, and a shelf that was just for books on my reading list.

There would be nothing in this office but my things. No one would invade on my space, of course we're entering into fantasy realm vs money. I would also have a small collection of artifacts specially made. Swords, daggers, dragons, that sort of thing. I would have a corner of pillows for reading and editing. I would also have a recliner somewhere in the house that I could comfy up in and write. A lap desk would be really nice too for when I'm using the laptop.

And I would love a work desk, they were designed using exercise bikes and treadmills and eliptical machines for office workers. It has an area to set up your laptop and you can exercise and work at the same time. That would be nice.

Mr Flibble
11-26-2009, 05:10 AM
. Shannon Leto waiting for me in the bedroom.

You'd get writing done?

If I had my pin ups here, I'd be too sore to write...

scarletpeaches
11-26-2009, 05:20 AM
You'd get writing done?

If I had my pin ups here, I'd be too sore to write...If it was a chapter-by-chapter set up, I think that would persuade me to write faster. :e2brows:

DamaNegra
11-27-2009, 06:00 AM
I usually just use my laptop on my desk for writing when at home. When I'm on the go and have a place to sit, I use my Alphasmart Neo. When I'm on the go and have no place to sit, I use my iPod touch (although the keyboard is a royal pain in the ass).

My ideal setup would consist on soundproof walls that didn't let through all the gunfire, explosions, screams, curses and other war-related sounds from the living room, where my brother plays videogames 24/7.

Anarchic Q
11-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Laptop, Firefox, various tabs open, usually Wikipedia, Google, Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com. Open Office word processor and my gmail inbox because I mail notes to myself.

Word Jedi
11-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a big flat-screen monitor. Computer is fairly new.

Microsoft Word.

An "office" upstairs away from everything.

A looselaf notebook when I'm not in this office.

Lots of writing books. I think there is something to learn from all of them.
I have screenwriting books and novel writing books and short-story writing books I have accumulated over the years.

Lots of novels, lots of anthologies.

Reference books.

A new focus to actually apply myself to writing this time. I've been avoiding it too long. I have stories to tell that I believe people would love to read. Anchors aweigh, damn the torpedoes. Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Rhoda Nightingale
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
1) Laptop somewhere with an outlet so I don't have to worry about the battery going out. Sans outlet, a notebook and pen. (To be transcribed to the laptop later.)

2) Same, with the added benefit of NO OTHER HUMAN BEINGS anywhere near me at the time I'm trying to write.

Red_Dahlia
11-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Part 1 - Curled up under the blankets of my bed, head propped against the wall, laptop resting on my thighs.

Part 2 - About the same, although I'd have a huge westward facing window, looking out towards mountains and the sunset.

Gregg
12-03-2009, 02:28 AM
PC with good monitor. Radio on all the time (even if I ignore it). Usually listening to talk radio. New chair (can't believe I kept the old one for so long.).

When I'm reading hard copy, I'll move to a comfortable sofa, put my feet up, and get out my red pen.

theantisplice
12-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Now:
Bed piled with enough pillows to function as a comfy chair.
Blankets over me or fan aimed my way - season depending.
Laptop or notebook on lap.
Handwritten notes spread out around me.
Pen behind ear.
Herbal tea with honey on night table - or grape juice with rum on night table.
Complete silence.
Unless I'm outlining and not actually writing. Then music is allowed.

Then:
All of the above, except with higher quality liquor and a balcony/lake-and-mountains view.

Adam
12-05-2009, 09:30 PM
That sounds awesome, Theantisplice :D

JLCwrites
12-05-2009, 10:06 PM

Fun Questions!

1) I have a MacLappy that has a wireless connection, so I basically write everywhere. Dining room table, couch, bed etc...

2) My fantasy writing place would be a dark study with a fireplace, a bar, one of these (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/08/ElectricKettle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gizmodo.com/5347641/bugattis-electric-kettle-is-what-civilized-cylons-use-for-tea&usg=__1AW5ESRR-00w84MrBp_jOqfZqqs=&h=406&w=500&sz=28&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=tEDIxWIZoK6_MM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbugatti%2Belectric%2Btea%2Bkettle%26h l%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26um%3D1), and the constant sound of rain falling. (Which isn't too outlandish since I live in the Pacific Northwest.) :D

theantisplice
12-06-2009, 12:49 AM
That sounds awesome, Theantisplice :D

It is pretty fantastic :D I'm loving reading all of these, too. Interesting to see how people work differently.

swvaughn
12-06-2009, 01:52 AM
crucifix. spray paint. gun.

i refuse to comment on the grounds that haskins is awesomer than me :D

Quossum
12-06-2009, 07:37 AM
Now:
At home I have a large Ikea desk with a desktop computer (used for internet, games, and email) at one end and a green laptop called The Precious (used for iTunes, pictures, and writing) at the other end. In the middle are two lava lamps, and above the desk is a metal shelf holding 10 pots of ink for my fountain pens and magnets securing inspiring pictures in my view (Gandalf, myself as a child reading a book while nestled in the roots of a tree, a picture of my recently deceased dog lying on a quilt, the Magic cards "Wall of Pine Needles" and "Kismet"). On the desk are stamps for my WheresGeorging activities, desk supplies in bowls turned by my husband, and various items of essential clutter. On the back of my chair is a beaver pelt I pull into my lap regularly for warmth and tactile stimulation. Above the desk is a window where I can see a large bush (or is it a small tree?) with suet feeders and also my neighbors' cars and house.

This is where I write at home most often, whether its longhand with fountain pens in my notebooks, my usual first draft method, or typing in and editing subsequent drafts on computer. Only when writing do I get to turn on the lava lamps. I also enjoy writing longhand and sometimes on the laptop at coffeeshops and such.

Unlimited money:
I love my basic setup, which I recently put together after a HUGE cleanup / remodeling project of my room. What would change would be that the view out my window would be of an endless, primeval forest and I wouldn't have to trudge off to work and leave this beloved place behind for hours at a time.

--Q

swvaughn
12-06-2009, 08:04 AM
...the Magic cards "Wall of Pine Needles" and "Kismet"

OMG, you have Magic cards?!?!

*totally geeks out*

That rocks. Your whole space sounds awesome. I'm frightfully jealous - even of your beaver pelt and imaginary primeval forest. :D

Quossum
12-06-2009, 08:51 AM
LOL. I was a total Magic geek. Addicted. Bought boxes of cards at a time. Button that read, "Ask me about my Red / Green Landkill deck!" Ah, those halcyon days! *sigh*

Though I don't play any more, I can't yet bear to part with my binders of cards and page through them now and then. And though I realize that "Wall of Pine Needles" is a mediocre card at best--c'mon, it's an Ice Age Uncommon wall, for heaven't sake! 3/3 regenerator, big whoop!--for some reason its artwork is extremely compelling to me.

Thanks for the kind words. I love my room. Oh, one more thing I'd change with unlimited money: One more lava lamp. The one with blue water and white wax. Yeah, then I'd be set.

--Q

JoNightshade
12-06-2009, 09:05 AM
1) Large antique drafting table, fully adjustable to sit or stand, at any angle. Laptop plus large flatscreen monitor, USB typewriter, and mouse. (I like to have two screens operating at once.)

2) Ideal setup would be the same, except I would like a window. Staring out the window at birds or pedestrians or trees really helps me think without being too distracted.

swvaughn
12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
LOL. I was a total Magic geek. Addicted. Bought boxes of cards at a time. Button that read, "Ask me about my Red / Green Landkill deck!" Ah, those halcyon days! *sigh*

I ran Blue/White myself. And often played against my husband, who did Black/Red and consistently crushed me with his weenie horde and that damned Breeding Pit. Grrr.

Our vast collection of Magic cards got lost in a move several years ago. I cried. Now we have boxes and binders of no longer used Yu-Gi-Oh cards sitting around. Online RPGs like CoH and Aion have been discovered to take up less space and cost less to upgrade (we managed to escape WoW).

/off-topic geek babble :D

bsolah
12-07-2009, 02:03 AM
What would change would be that...I wouldn't have to trudge off to work and leave this beloved place behind for hours at a time.

--Q

Me too! +100,000,000

DragonHeart
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I still have all my Magic cards too. :) I didn't play a lot but I love the artwork so I collected them lol. I made some decent decks in my day though...

Anyways, I recently finished remodeling my office (it was a living room previously) so I now have a nice big space to set everything up in. I have a large desk with my PC and all related necessities on it. Since this is all a new setup I haven't accumulated a lot of clutter yet though I do have a pile of mail lurking on top of the printer. I have some notebooks piled up somewhere, if I want a change of scenery I can grab one and spend ten minutes looking for a working pen. ;)

If I had unlimited money I'd upgrade my computer, get a laptop instead of notebooks and semi-working pens and get a desk designed for computers since the one I have is not. And finish decorating the office, completing the 'look' I have in mind would be quite inspiring. Especially the view, I'm thinking either the ocean or mountains.

~DragonHeart~

Kenzie
12-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a dedicated study with a big handpainted desk, my laptop, a plant, phone, stereo and various knicknacks. Right in front of a window with a ceiling fan overhead, which is critical, both because I live in the sub-tropics and because my laptop needs a constant flow of air to not overheat.

I have notebooks all over the house and always one in my handbag when I go out.

My ideal wouldn't be too different, except I'd like a better laptop that I can actually unplug and use wherever I like, so I could have a change of scenery if I felt like it. Failing that, a giant iMac to make my graphic design work a lot easier.

Oh, and while I do adore having my cat stretched out on the desk beside me all day, I would appreciate if she didn't heave her fat bum over and knock my laptop to the floor, as she did this morning!

Williebee
12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
It looks pretty much like this, these days.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/3743932134_f33a824c27_m.jpg

And yes, my geeky friends. That IS a red stapler.

tailstrike
12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Basically i write anywhere but mostly in my armchair with the laptop on a card table because my glass table shattered randomly 2 weeks ago with the industrial fan pointed my way cause it is so damn hot at the moment...who would live somewhere with no breeze well not no breeze the house next door blocks it all seriously it is 40C in here today...and my cat sleeping on top of my microwave near the window knocking everything off every 5 minutes...

As for my dream writing place it would be the second bedroom in my unit cause thats why i got a 2 bedroom place and it would be air conditioned with a new desk and a comfy chair and maybe a dedicated writing/photo editing desktop computer...

Manuel Royal
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Can't work on a laptop. Bedroom/office: table (covered with a printer, three dozen books I haven't read yet, and some reference materials); computer desk; PC; radio, CDs or iTunes for background music (which I usually forget about playing). Nice view to my right; I can look down a wooded hill to the Chattahoochee River. With the window open I can hear geese, sometimes egrets.

With more money, I wouldn't change much. Separate room for a dedicated office; enough bookshelves; filing cabinet and a clear workspace. I'd still want an outside view.

GeorgieB
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
A balcony space at the top of the stairs, just outside the master bedroom. It overlooks the living room, and there are huge floor-to-ceiling windows in the A-frame where I can look out into the Ponderosa pines, snow on the ground and an occasional elk wandering by.

A desktop computer with more power and space than I'll ever need (I hope), two printers on the desk and a 22" flat-screen monitor. Pull-out keyboard and mouse tray, one bright light.

Behind me is a bookcase, full of how-to-write-it material, some novels of note. The wall is full of NaNo and ScriptFrenzy certificates, all framed. A large wooden cabinet on the last wall and a file cabinet for the secret stuff.

If I had my wish: A separate building, warm, lots of windows, a decent chair and a bottle of Famous Grouse scotch. And some ice.

Southern Girl
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Now: Mac laptop, wingbacked chair with ottoman, usually in my robe and slippers. I'm just working on random things at the moment, however. When I was actively writing my first book, I worked at my desk with my laptop, printer and storyboard. I bought an expensive chair I hoped would alleviate back aches, but no such luck. So I smush a pillow between my lower back and the chair and just get up to let the dogs out fairly often.

Ideally: my own office with music playing, a door that locks and a big desktop sitting on my big desk downstairs - not the small desk in my bedroom right now. I'm thinking of stealing my children's Mac desktop because they have laptops issued by school. They never use it anymore, and it's looking very good to me. Especially since my laptop is acting screwy these days.

Elias Graves
12-12-2009, 01:57 AM
I use a nice hardbound Black and Red notebook and a pen.
When rich, I may spring for a Mont Blanc fountain.

EG

Lady Cat
12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Currently: I have a home office filled with books and office supplies and cats and both a desktop and a lap top computer. Half the time I'm in my easy chair in the living room with the lap top and at least one of the cats on my chair with me.

Dream Set up: A log house in the woods with cathedral ceilings and a view of a quiet lake. The house would have a large, woodburning stone fireplace and a loft. I would have a state of the art lap top with all the bells and whistles, including satellite wireless service and a battery that will never die. I'd probably also need a Gold Card that never has to be paid for, so I don't starve to death. :D

S.J.
12-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm joining the chorus with: laptop and desk.

If I had the choice, I would have my own 'study' which would be West-facing, sparklingly clean/very organised and filled with books.

ishtar'sgate
12-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Not ideal right now. We're living in an RV in the freezing cold (-32C this morning) while we build our house. The pipes are frozen so we can't use the toilet, water or drains. My computer is jammed in between our small television set and the counter where we set up our printer and paper and modem and wireless internet stuff....
There is NO room beside my mouse and keyboard to write so I take my stuff and write on the little kitchenette tabletop which is also very small. I can't leave it there and have a huge canvas bag I stuff it all into when I have to set the table for a meal. I've been doing this since July. We're hoping to be in the house just after Christmas and then I'll have proper office space.
My dream space would be in a huge library with books covering three walls, an enormous floor to ceiling bay window on the fourth wall with a gorgeous antique desk sitting in front of it and the most comfortable chair in the universe to sit on. I would also have a soft comfy sofa to lay on when reading and doing revisions.

Lamia
01-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Current setup: HP Mini 2140 netbook which I carry every-damn-where (wherever I lay my Mini, that's my home, LOL), a huge cork board to compensate for the netbook's 10'' screen.

Dream setup: 21'' iMac plus a MacBook, both running Scrivener! Yes...yes...YEEEES...

Adagio
01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
My office is in the master bedroom, spacious enough to accommodate the bed, an extended table as desk, on top of which sits an old computer, reference books. Next to the table are all kind of kitchen furniture (brought over from the previous apartment), now serving as storage. A stereo unit nearby. On the wall above the desk-table hung framed drawings from that stage in my life when I fancied myself a ... painter. Shelves in all corners for books, more books on top of the wardrobe. The window faces the back wall of the adjacent house. Not much view, but it's okay.

Ideally: I wouldn't write in another place other than in the bedroom (my chair is one step away from the bed where I crawl at around 4am and that's how I like). But a new computer with a large flat screen would be nice. And I'd love a sturdy bookcase.

indie_girl
01-18-2010, 12:17 AM
My writing set up consists of a clunky second hand desk in my tiny bedroom, complete with laptop, fish, and tons of brightly colored post-it notes.

Ideally: Wall to wall bookshelves, and one of those little castle figurines for my fish.

Khimera9
01-18-2010, 02:06 AM
My setup is-
A desk
A chair
My laptop
Microsoft word
Internet with youtube, dictionary/thesaurus, and absolute write on
and a drink.

Ideal setup
A machine that can probe my mind and write down the story by using thought alone.

Dave.C.Robinson
01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I alternate between my laptop in the easy chair in the living room and my desktop for realy serious work.

The big benefit of the desktop is dual 19" flatscreens :)

I use lots of software, but generally stick to either MS Word or yWriter.

Kateness
01-18-2010, 11:16 PM
desk that I've had since I was 12/13, ancient chair that's the same age, laptop, headphones.

If I was rich, new desk new chair, same laptop, same headphones.

jilly61
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
My office is the spare bedroom.
I have a PC and flat screen monitor with a printer/scanner on my desk.
On one wall is shelving with books, on other walls are posters of literary characters.

If I could change anything I'd transport the entire room to a cottage surrounded by fields and trees so that I could look out on greenery.

Bushrat
01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I've never liked sitting at tables or desks for some reason and do all my writing crouched on the couch with my laptop and/or clipboard. I use Open Office, which works so-so for me.

Adagio
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I alternate between my laptop in the easy chair in the living room and my desktop for realy serious work.

The big benefit of the desktop is dual 19" flatscreens :)

I use lots of software, but generally stick to either MS Word or yWriter.

Dave, how do you feel about yWriter? I checked reviews, saw the demo and now wonder, is it worth to download it? It seems interesting, but isn't it too complicate to navigate through scenes and chapters? It gave me shivers when I read about zip files.

Thanks,
Adagio

Dave.C.Robinson
01-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Dave, how do you feel about yWriter? I checked reviews, saw the demo and now wonder, is it worth to download it? It seems interesting, but isn't it too complicate to navigate through scenes and chapters? It gave me shivers when I read about zip files.

Thanks,
Adagio

I like it a lot, and have been using it for years. One thing I should mention is that I've been ghostwriting script novelizations lately, and I find it's really useful for that because I can treat the existing scenes as units and work from there. I can add other scenes where I need them and move things around as necessary.

It doesn't work as well if you're just writing without an outline, but it's great for converting and expanding an existing work into a novel.

Adagio
01-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Dave, thank you. I'll give it more thought. Sounds interesting, especially if you can organize stuff that floats around in My Documents.

Adagio

Annayna
01-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Right now Im sitting on the floor with my lab top and my puppy..

Idealy I'd wanna be in New York City, top floor apt with the view of the rest of the city..

Manuel Royal
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Ideally I'd wanna be in New York City, top floor apt with the view of the rest of the city..
Isaac Asimov used to live in a penthouse apartment overlooking Central Park; God knows how much that cost. The view was to please his wife; Dr. A never even looked out the window, and would have been perfectly happy down in the sub-basement (or in the "Caves of Steel" he wrote about).

I need to be able to look out the window and see the sky once in a while.

dancingandflying
01-20-2010, 03:02 AM
My writing setup is currently a Macbook on a ridiculously cheap desk in my bedroom. Surrounded by art supplies, books, various college admissions papers, and random junk.

Ideally, I'd like to write in an A-frame in a Scandinavian forest, with a wood burning stove and the constant smell of fresh-baked cookies. Also, I'd like a puppy.

Lionheart
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
In my bedroom, in my very, very quiet flat...

Low Rocking / Gaming chair with built in speakers, low IKEA desk with a shelf where I can put my feet up, and rock my chair back, my ASUS desktop PC with wireless KB and mouse, endless supply of Pepsi Max, and my Hans Zimmer / Basil Poldouris / James Horner / Final Fantasy playlist on quietly.

It's sooooo comfortable.

Chasing the Horizon
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Now: A tattered and very ugly easy chair facing a battered and rusty solid metal desk which is a shade of mauve only the 1950s could have loved. The desk supports a 20" iMac with an additional 15" monitor, which is connected to a blue-tooth Apple keyboard and a touchpad mouse. There are also two very old (but fully functioning and much-loved) PowerBooks on the desk, and a set of Bose speakers so I can drown out any annoyances. Two iBook clamshells (also working) are sitting on a rickety three-legged table beside the desk, which falls over about once a day. My reference materials (mainly psychology books, a thesaurus, and a book of baby names) are perched precariously on a shelving unit behind the iMac and there's an Epson printer that doesn't work right buried somewhere under the sweaters on my dresser beside the desk. The whole mess is in my bedroom.

Unlimited funds: A much bigger bedroom (at least 30' by 40'), in a custom-built house in rural Kansas, with a heating system that actually works and huge windows with views of the midwest sky instead of the ass-end of the American Legion building. A huge antique wooden desk with an authentic pirate chest in which to keep my extra supplies. A color laser printer. A new MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air to add to my laptop collection. A huge comfortable chair which is neither ugly nor falling apart.

itesser
01-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Ikea dining room table in my basement. My husband has his laptop at the head, I'm sprawled midway down with my desktop PC (mostly a distraction) on the left, trusty mac laptop in the middle, and sketchbook on the right. And a glass of wine, glass of water, and mug of tea wherever I can fit them.

Software I use: Write or Die. OmmWriter. Scrivener. Excel spreadsheet (for wordcount tracking).

Ideally, I'd take the setup somewhere cold with a woodburning stove and plenty of fuel. And I'd get a better chair. *wince*

Oh, my other writing set up is to take my laptop to bed and do about 500 words at bedtime while my husband saws logs. :)

CEtchison
01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
My children and husband utilize the study in our house, so my computer system is in our master bedroom. Bad feng shui, I know, but this is where I like it. I returned to a desktop system four years ago and run Windows Media Center so my monitor doubles as a television and my CPU, a DVR. My 32" flat panel monitor definitely took some getting used to, but now when I have to do something for the kids on my old 20" widescreen, I feel like everything is so small and hard to read. LOL

However, my desk chair really blows. Big time. The two cheapy ones I bought on clearance in the study are fab compared to this big ol' hunk of crap I'm sitting in right now. I should have bought a third one when I had the chance. :(

bettielee
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Shitty tottery card table, awesome love-of-my-life-imac, itunes, coffee and coffee warmer, pens, index cards, notebook for notes. My entire life is lived in one shitty room that is a studio apartment.

When the blessed event happens, I will be in a house, with a real life desk, a comfy chair, and all of this, the desk, the comfy chair, et all will be in a room that is only for writing, not for sleeping, cooking and eating in. (ok, I have a bathroom now, and technically, that is a separate room.)

and I hope there will be a couple of German Shepherd dogs.:)

Anaquana
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Right now, my setup is a sturdy desk with my PC and all sorts of cluttery bric-a-brac and a comfy chair not two feet away from hubby's 65" TV.

My dream writing space is a turret room filled with plants (which somebody else would water), a laptop, and an overstuffed recliner.

Adagio
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Now: Two iBook clamshells (also working) are sitting on a rickety three-legged table beside the desk, which falls over about once a day.

Your writing setup is amongst the most colorful and funny :) described in this thread.
Question: What is an iBook clamshell?

I refrain from asking what a PowerBook is (or a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air), fearing to expose the shameful fact that I didn't do my homework. This TechnoLand is, to me, a Wonderland!

Your Epson reminds me of mine -- gathering dust in a corner, waiting for the trash-man. I do my printouts in a Kinko (or whatever is called now) office near my workplace.

Adagio

AnonymousWriter
01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Just now I write at my little desk in my bedroom. Laptop or paper. Music is optional, though I usually have my iPod plugged in.

Ideally? A little cottage looking out over the ocean, preferably with open windows so I could hear the tide coming in and out.