First Novel, First Draft

hpoppink

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I am a very happy woman this evening. I finished the first draft of my sci-fi novel! Unfortunately I am already sick of it. I plan to stash it far, far away for a long while.

I can't wait to get started on the next one, benefitting from all the things I learned while messing up this particular story.

Interesting tidbit: I set out to write about 50,000 words. My final word count, at 250 words per page, is 125,500. Oh boy.

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Yes, hide the MS! Then you can look at it with fresh eyes in a month or. But keep writing, and good luck!

BenMears

Registered
Reaction score
Admirable perseverance in the face of not liking the work anymore. Congratulations on finishing. And... you just might find that it's not so bad in a month or two. May even be parts you really like.:Cake:

rowriter

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlcdawriter.blogspot.com
:Clap: CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you are going to reward yourself in some way! (besides putting away the ms. in a drawer!)

And Yay for being excited about your next project! I hope I will be in the same position when I finish my WIP (I've almost reached the halfway point of my goal - woo hoo!).

Rowriter

Hermit

Registered
Reaction score
125,500 words? WOW! :partyguy:

You're totally addicted. I'd say 'seek professional help' but there's no 12-step program to cure you. You'll just have to keep writing!

Congratulations on your achievement!!

hpoppink

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Thanks everyone! I'm still in shock at having finished what I started. That has become somewhat of a rare event for me.

Ben, I'm hoping there are a few moments in the ms that would be worth putting into a different story; but right now I'm convinced the overall storyline is inherently flawed. I agree that some time apart will, like with love, extinguish the small and enflame the great.

rowriter, my gift to myself is getting to dream up a new setting and new characters! Trust me, this is an incredible rush.

Hermit, I'm not an addict. I'm not. Really. {pay no attention to my bloodshot eyes and twitching fingers}

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Pink!

Don't worry, not all addictions are bad ones, are they?
Anyway, way to go.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Good for you! Looking at it with fresh eyes in a month or so might just be the ticket. Congratulations, too, on already getting started on your next project! Let us know where we can buy them!

Melina