interviewing by phone

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I landed an assignment that involves interviewing someone. Previously, I have only interviewed people I could meet with in person, and I brought a small tape recorder. I want to be accurate in reproducing the interviewee's words but since the person is several states away from me, it will have to be a phone interview. What technology have you all used in this kind of situation to interview someone and record their words when you are not face-to-face?

Looking forward to your advice.

--writernow

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
If you have a microcassette recorder and a cell phone, Radio Shack has a lovely earbud gizmo that plugs into your recorder. Turn the recorder on; answer the phone, and it tapes everything. $20. Best investment I ever made.

I always state up front that I'm taping the conversation because my memory may be good, but it's not *that* good. Everyone chuckles and that's that. Good luck!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
More advice: Do try to take some notes because sometimes the recording won't come out. (lots of personal experience with this one) Also, in some states it's illegal to tape conversations without the permission of both parties, so better safe than sorry -- as Lily says, ask permission.

I use a digital recorder, which is handy because you can archive your interview digitally. I used to use a super cheap, super fast online transcription service where you uploaded your files and got the transcription the next day (I hate transcribing). But then that service started getting slower, more expensive, and worse as it became popular, but there may be other services that do this you have the budget available.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
What everyone else said, and it works great, but kellion--how do you archive the recordings? I can get them on to the recorder, (technical term: doohickey) but how from there to my computer? tx.

I do take notes while recording, out of abundance of caution, but haven't had to rely on them yet.

btw the whole thing, doohicky + gizmo, cost me like $30 or something. btw, Black Friday coming up, you could probably get one cheaper. Mine is a sony. It's wonderful. Records for hours. Easy to operate. Clear as a bell. Love it.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a digital recorder, it should come with cables and possibly software to upload the files as MP3s or the like. If it's analog, I guess you would have to have another doohicky and gizmo to record them...

My doohickey is an Olympia. My husband has another one to record mobile interviews for podcasts but I don't know what he uses.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
tell us more, mnb.
If people are willing, I love to interview by Google chat and get automatic perfect transcript.

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
I place my digital recorder next to my hands-free landline phone, which I put on speaker during an interview. The recorder came with a mini-USB cable, so it's rather simple to transfer recordings to my laptop and save them as audio files. However, I have yet to find a quick and accurate solution to transcribing. I also would like to hear more about the aforementioned Google option!

Callalily, whenever I've tried to use my cell phone on speaker with my recorder, it ruins the recording with a loud buzzing. I've always figured it was an issue with the cell signal. I've been able to work around this problem by scheduling interviews for when I know I'll be home. But, sometimes, it would be helpful to be able to conduct an interview in the car when I'm between appointments. Can you elaborate more on how the ear bud thing works? Is there no interference?

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
NeverEndingStory: what a good idea -- I'm such a dork, I haven't recorded any phone interviews because I never use the speaker phone option. If I used the speaker phone, I could record a backup and have both hands free to type my notes!

Though really, for the stuff I do, I haven't recorded an interview in years. I generally do briefs, so I just need a little tidbit to quote, and then the rest of the interview is just to get a good grip on the subject.

I used to do longer interviews (profiles and such) for a local paper. But I found that my recorder was so craptastic that I'd spend 3 hours going back over the tape trying to get everything down. Now I just rely on my notes. Maybe I've been doing it long enough this way that my ears perk up when I hear a good quote that I right it down a little more carefully.

Also, I've done onsite interviews where I've gotten a tour of someone's business....I can't imagine chasing them around with a recorder. Do the digital one's have good range? Do you think you could get away with stuffing it halfway in a jean's pocket so it would record while you walk around with someone?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I have Google Voice and also a speaker phone, but for some reason I never record my phone interviews. I do 80 to 90 percent over the phone vs. in person, so it would probably be a good idea. I am a very fast typist and type while the person is talking. I let them know I am doing this so they know why there is a pause before I ask the next question or make a comment (and why they probably hear all the clickity clacking in the background). I read back what I typed if I'm not sure I got a particular quote correctly.

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've done onsite interviews where I've gotten a tour of someone's business....I can't imagine chasing them around with a recorder. Do the digital one's have good range? Do you think you could get away with stuffing it halfway in a jean's pocket so it would record while you walk around with someone?

The answer is YES, my digital recorder has fantastic range (most do), and YES, I "chase" people around with it! ;)

It's funny you mention taking a tour of someone's business because it's something that's given me anxiety in the past. See, I haven't mastered the walking-and-note-taking-at-the-same-time thing, and mini-cassette recorders are, like you said, pretty "craptastic." So, to ease my worries, I'd plan to take the tour, jot down some messy notes along the way, and reserve extra time to sit down face to face. Then, I'd simply set my cassette recorder on a desk during the interview. Problem was, even when it was close to the subject, the clarity never was great. Not to mention, I had a zillion little tapes lying around.

Which brings me to my digital recorder. A couple of weeks ago I needed to take two tours, both of which required a lot of Q&A while on the walk. So, much like a TV reporter would hold a microphone, I held out my recorder. It's small enough that I can hold it in the same hand that holds my notebook. (I imagine I could sit it in my pocket, but I prefer having it where I can easily keep an eye on time, battery power and create index markers while it's recording.) It's worthing mentioning that part of one of the tours took place inside a very noisy warehouse and yet the recorder still picked up all the dialogue.

I am a very fast typist and type while the person is talking. I let them know I am doing this so they know why there is a pause before I ask the next question or make a comment (and why they probably hear all the clickity clacking in the background). I read back what I typed if I'm not sure I got a particular quote correctly.

I'm a fast typist when it comes to writing out the thoughts inside my head. For instance, right now, I'm zipping through this post at the speed of light. It's a different story when I'm listening to someone and having to "translate" what they're saying into typed word on my computer screen. I can get enough key points as the conversation goes along, but then I have to go back and fill in the gaps via transcription. The strange flipside is that whenever I do manage to type fast/accurately during an interview, I'll find that I'm hearing my subject but not really not listening. This leads to awkward pauses as I attempt to phrase a follow-up question or some kind of comment. I need to find the middle ground on this one.

michellek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.associatedcontent.com
Hi WriterNow,
I just a digital audio recorder. It works well on cell phones and regular phones. They cost about $35 to $45 at a local electronics store. They come out crystal clear most of the time. Just make sure to have the digital audio recorder away from the phone a little bit so it doesn't make blarring background noise.