Computer/Online Games About Medieval Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowRain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a computer game (preferably online) that is good at passively describing and explaining medieval life. There are a lot of simple little games about building and protecting a village, but they don't go far enough into the times (ie. architecture, medicine, construction, agriculture, tools, etc.).

I have the books by Frances and Joseph Gies, but I'm looking to augment that information with something else, and I thought this might be an option. Does anyone know if something like this exists? My first choice would be an online game, but I'll take a computer game if that's the best option.

Thanks.

Deleted member 42

Honestly, there really aren't any that I'd be comfortable recommending, as much as I love playing them. The games are mostly about the envisioned-not-quite-accurate idea of aristocratic life.

The best I've seen is Civilization, or Age of Empires, but they too are really about aristocratic life.

They all take a long time, too. I sometimes would bring in screen shots and talk about the games and show images from the calendar pages from Books of Hours as a contrast.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yeah... There are few (any?) games whose purpose was to be historically accurate about anything other than, maybe, order of battle.

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
Try Anno 1404 and it's prequel Anno 1701. This series is about trading and things what you're looking for. They're playing in 1404 and 1701 A.D., so right in the era what you're looking for. It's basically about economy with very little battles. It's about how to make a small village to a prospering town and later how to expand your little empire. Anno 1404 is the newer one, released not long ago, so I would suggest to try that one. In this one, you get a detailed picture about how things may have worked in that era. Beware. This one is a really pretty game, but it's a bit addictive to. You just play and play and you haven't noticed you've already played for four hours. :)

If you want accurate tactical games, try the Total War series (Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval I-II: Total War, Empire: Total War). From this series, the Medieval I-II would be your game. This one is presenting war of the eras nicely.

And also there is Civilization 4. It's very accurate, but it can't offer many things what the upper mentioned ones may can. It has many expansions and it has many historical missions, but it's also presenting our entire history from the beginning to the future.

Or my last advice, try Empire Earth I and II (Forget the third episode). Empire Earth is the game which is presenting all era of mankind from prehistoric, through medieval to our times and beyond (Different then Civ4). It's rather a real time strategy, but there are very good historical missions in this game too. It's a very good game (Empire Earth is one of my favorite RTS. :) ). In this game you can find everything from Centurions and Hoplites, through Knights and Cavaliers to B-17 Flying Fortress and F/A-18C Hornets. It's a really good game as you're managing an entire empire from the very beginning to the very end (Through 15 eras, overall 500,000 years and there are app. 14 different civilizations in it.). In scenario you can select which era is that you'd like to play (There is app. four playable eras from the fifteen which is just about the medieval age. If you want, you can play all four medieval in order to see how the units and the society may evolved.). And this game also has a sister game, called as Rise of Nations. It's almost the very same, yet different as Empire Earth. But it's the same perfect program in this genre. The difference is the historical missions and the details. Both Empire Earth and Rise of Nations are giving different measure to different things and maybe Rise of Nations is a bit more accurate and giving more details about development, trading and the society. I love that one too and it's also my favorite.

So my advise list is:
Anno 1404 (Building, Trading, Agriculture, Society and Diplomacy... could be your #1 candidate)
Empire Earth 2 and Rise of Nations (Military, Trading, Society, but foremost Evolution)
Medieval II: Total War (Detailed military tactics)
Civilization 4 (Evolution, Tactics, Agriculture and Society Management. Detailed, but quite different then Anno 1404. Personally I suggest Anno 1404 instead.)

Last edited:

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Yeah... There are few (any?) games whose purpose was to be historically accurate about anything other than, maybe, order of battle.
Now remembering a scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Peasant 1: Who's that?
Peasant 2: It must be a king.
Peasant 1: How can you tell?
Peasant 2: He hasn't got shit all over him!

This early in the morning my mind works in strange and mysterious ways.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
There's a game called Stronghold, which is about building castles and related villages, but I don't really recommend it, as its rather trite and simplistic. However, it can probably be gotten for cheap, as its a few years old now.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Now remembering a scene from Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

Peasant 1: Who's that?
Peasant 2: It must be a king.
Peasant 1: How can you tell?
Peasant 2: He hasn't got shit all over him!

This early in the morning my mind works in strange and mysterious ways.

"See the violence inherent in the system?!"

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There's a game called Stronghold, which is about building castles and related villages, but I don't really recommend it, as its rather trite and simplistic. However, it can probably be gotten for cheap, as its a few years old now.

The sequel went for even more camp over actual depth...but I found myself fairly charmed by the executioners who sat at home and drank tea.

S'not very realistic, but it got a chuckle out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.