Why Quest For Glory f*cking rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
What do you all like about the series, or similar ones like Police Quest or Space Quest? I once even played a "Hobbit" game by Sierra that brought in their awful (read: hilarious) humor.

I loved all the games, yes, even Wages of War. I mean, the Awful Waffle? Classic. Glitches? Just part of the challenge! I would often play as the thief with magic, so I could use "open doors" and have more of an advantage in battle, but as I beat the games several times each, I tried to keep it more strictly one class for the challenge. A thief without other resources is much more fun versus one that can easily just throw flames at everything or snatch things out of the air with a "fetch" spell. A fighter is much more challenging to play when he has to smash things and can't steal for money, or sneak away from situations. When magic scrolls might as well be toilet paper. Or when a magic user's MP is more important than his HP.

What I really love is that these games are different every time, depending on which class you play and how you solve puzzles. V might have been my least favorite, though it still had attractive qualities. The new fight system was interesting, for instance.

One is an all-time classic. I love two and four just because... And I mostly enjoy the VGA click-on-things versions, because I find the text games too difficult.

I was ecstatic when I found out there was a VGA version of number two.

Well I've raved quite a bit.

What do you like? What characters? Games? Funniest moments? Why?

Last edited:

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I have all five games in the series. I downloaded the first three off the internet and bought the last two off ebay. I have the text versions of the first two. Number 4 and 5 are my favorites. Shadows of Darkness has the best storyline in my opinion.

I've played through the entire series several times with each character already. Recently, I finished the series as a fighter, became grand champion in the arena, and claimed the crown of Silmaria with Elsa von Spielburg as my queen. I always marry her as the fighter, Nawar as a thief, and Erana as a paladin. Mostly as the wizard I marry Katrina, but once I married Erana with her.

I always use pure characters. That is, I never have a thief or fighter using magic, or any other character with thief skills for example. Although strangely enough, in Shadows of Darkness, the paladin still learns the frostbite and aura spells even if you have no points in magic.

I like these games. It makes me feel very important and fills me with pride whenever citizens praise my deeds, cheer my name, in other words, whenever I play these games, it makes me feel like I've become someone special and made something of myself. Because compared to everyone else around me in real life, I feel like such a failure.

I also loved the fact that there are tons of puns in the games! For example if you click on a rock in Dragon Fire, it says, "You may be bold, but the rock is boulder!" Ha ha ha! I also get a kick out of Igor's "graveyard humor". "Not tomb bad!"

The paladin is my favorite character. The thief is my least favorite. I also like the wizard. One of my favorite sidequests involved freeing the rusalka and finding Piotyr's sword, then showing it to the Burgermeistor to get his shield!

By the way, did you know that according to wikipedia, due to a technical error, it's impossible to achieve a perfect score in Wages of War?

Last edited:

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot about King's Quest! Duh! Jeez wasn't that the most popular out of those Sierra series?

By the way, if you want to DL a freeware QFG2 VGA version:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

The game is pretty much the exact same as the text one, but playability is like the others in the series. I would definitely recommend it to see all the beautiful artwork. I don't think anything was lost in translation. They even have the intermission when you're fighting all the baddies across the desert!

Status
Not open for further replies.