Climate and terrain of Western Turkey

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Hello all. I'm just looking for some insights into the overall climate, terrain, vegetation, topography etc. of Western turkey, specifically the area around ancient Ephesus (near the modern city of Izmir). Is it mostly mountainous, desert-like scrub, or something in between? Are there many rivers, streams, or lakes in the area?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you! :idea:

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The site is hilly, about ten miles from the sea. The surrounding area has typical Mediterranean vegetation.

You might try searching for online photos that would show the area.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It had a harbour back in antiquity, though. Its river, the Little Meander, has sedimented up over the centuries, as has the Meander to the south. Generally, you get very fertile fields in the plains and scrubby hillside.

The hills around are pretty barren. The site itself is very long, but just consists of a few roads. It was also bloody hot when I was there....

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Hrm...a river you say? Spectacular! I was going by satellite photos, but its really hard to figure out exactly what sort of terrain it is unless you're trained (which I am not). Thank you! ^_^

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The river mouth was the port of the city. When a sandbar formed across the mouth the port was useless, and the city died. The city is a strip along the river, which is not very large, but the banks are rather steep. The main part of the city is several miles inland (that kept it safe from pirates in ancient times).

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Hilly, arid but fertile. Scrubby trees. Pomogranates and sheep. Little towns with neighborhood mosques. The milder climate allows crops most of the year. Eggplant, peppers, summer-type squash and more.

There are photos of Ephesus are available on the web. They give a good indication of the landscape. Down from Ephesus, a little to the southeast is this: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/hierapolis-pamukkale
where there are natural hot springs and more tourists.

Turkey is a wonderful place for a vacation. We went in the winter and the temps were in the 60ºs and low 70ºs and once in the summer where the temps were HOT.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, Priene is a fine place to visit. If I do say so myself.