Skeletons in your Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I’m sure we have all had things in our past that we would rather forget about, but what about when they start popping up in your work? I recently started a new Urban Fantasy YA, and as I was starting the first few pages I had a train wreck (or was it?).

My fingers flew against the keys inventing a reason for my MC to be shipped off to Scotland, away from America. The reason? The MC finds her crush (Dustin) floating dead in a stream, his legs trapped by a rock fall. I stared in horror at the words on the screen , my finger hovering over the backspace button, and then that terrible muse of mine started talking.

“You know, it really works with the story. You can tie it in easily and have a good sub plot if you keep it. You may even have a better understanding of the story if it stays personal.”

I thought about it over night with my fiancé urging me to get back to the story. I think I’ve settled on keeping it but I wonder if it will be bad for my health. The thing is, and you have probably guessed, Dustin is a very real person. Or…he use to be. A semester before we graduated high school he was shot to death at a friend’s home.

Writers have always used experiences both good and grim to inspire them. Edgar Allen Poe (as I’m sure we all know) wrote countless poems dedicated secretly to his lost wife Virginia.

I suppose my question is: How common is it for a writer to use morbid experiences in their work? I'm not asking for you to share experiences that are uncomfortable, instead you can state if you have or have not used them in your work.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't think I've ever used the exact experiences but I have used how they made me feel and given those feelings to characters.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Extremely common. Using such experiences is what writing is all about. If it's inside, getting it outside and in print is always a good thing.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Not yet. Not consciously.

I consciously try to avoid obvious parallels to my own life. Just keeps things simpler all round. But I'm sure there are skeletons there, hiding underneath the skin and muscle where nobody can see them. I'm almost afraid of my next book, because it will bring those bones pretty close to the surface and it promises to be difficult.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't do the awful ones justice. I want to write about them, but there is no way I could capture what I wanted to say. Others are good at that; don't get me wrong.

Otherwise, I use real life in my stories all the time.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
While purposely stay away from using my religious and political views within my writing, my previous editor said she could tell that I was a former catholic, went to catholic school, and I still have strong catholic beliefs. I told her she hit the nail right on the head, except I do not deal with religion in my work, at all. I deal with beliefs, but because my fantasy world has multiple gods, there is no one belief. She told me that to a former catholic, who went to catholic schools and college...it shows.

Not sure if this is the type of skeletons we are talking about, but she has made me question my writing and even change a few things up so MY beliefs are not showing and it is the Characters beliefs the story deals with.

I think no matter how hard we try, there is something of us in our work.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I think no matter how hard we try, there is something of us in our work.

Something of the writer should be present in the work. But keep it at 'something' and not more than that. :D

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave me some in-put on this, and more is always welcomed. I just thought it would make an interesting topic, and it has been eating at me all night. I don't believe my readers will ever suspect that Dustin was ever a real person though.

Extremely common. Using such experiences is what writing is all about. If it's inside, getting it outside and in print is always a good thing.

This made me feel better. Thank you James.

Thoth, I get you on that one. Haha. I tend to do that to people also. There is just something in the way people write that gives them away.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don't think you can avoid it. It's a human being writing the story, and the human being has been shaped by a life up until the point of writing the story. Should one include explicit events that actually happened? Probably not, because it doesn't belong in the story.

I've had two close friends die, and I know I've used the reactions of the family in my writings. I've used the dead friends' fear of death. Not explicitly, but I've drawn from the well, and felt like a vampire of some kind. But it is okay to do it.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
How common is it for a writer to use morbid experiences in their work? I'm not asking for you to share experiences that are uncomfortable, instead you can state if you have or have not used them in your work.
I use my experiences in my work as well, more often than not unconsciously rather than deliberately. I don't think it's something we can avoid, so just go with the flow.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I consciously try to avoid obvious parallels to my own life.

I was this way ... until my WIP, in which I'm digging into the deepest, darkest recesses of my own experiences. Feels like my strongest, ickiest writing yet. Heck, feels like therepy! And I might add, that because of the alien (sci fi) context in which I am writing these experiences, not even my closest family would likely realize they are mine. Plus many of the experiences are simply too intimate, you know, thoughts and feelings I have shared with no one.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Ah, but then the parallels are not obvious. You're probably not just taking your own life experience and changing a few superficial details, because then they would recognize it.

What I don't do is take something that happened to me, and try to "fictionalize" it. But the experiences I've had and the feelings that go along with that will work their way into how my characters react to their own life experiences.

For instance, I wrote a young couple falling in love recently. They are not me and my husband in disguise, and the circumstances of their getting together bear no resemblance to any relationship I've ever had. On the other hand, it had a bit of a similar dynamic to my own experience, with an unacknowledged growing attraction that suddenly turned a corner into a very giddy, intense, committed relationship. I didn't deliberately do it that way, but I see now how my own experience informed the way I wrote that. But all the superficial details are different, and I rather doubt that anyone will be asking me if it's autobiographical.

I toyed with the idea of taking another experience I'd had, making it take a different turn than in real life, and turning that into a story. But I don't think I will. I would be too recognizable and then persuading people that it didn't really happen that way... Nope, not going there. However, if I'm ever working on something and it fits the characters that are living their own lives their own way, then I might use it. Or pieces of it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the question.
You mean have we noticed the real world influencing our stories?

finnisempty

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write poetry based on my life experiences. I like it that way because I don't have to "tear" myself away from my work. I can be candid as I want to be. This is why I had such difficult time writing fiction even shorts. I ended up writing about myself in some form. The main characters were different versions of myself.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
they tell you to write what you know. My stories often go into those periods of my life when I was a lot more passonate and reckless than now. I also have depicted various horrible things I have witnessed, as well as examined horrible people, horrible object lessons on life and so on. Don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of writers are superficial because they are unwilling to look deeply into the world's ugliness. People seem preoccupied with being "polite" to the point where what they say really has no meaning (to them or anyone else). They think they need permission to examine sex, death, blood, gore, anger, mental derangement, or other ickky stuff, when really it's when you lay these things on the table, that your writing is strongest.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
There was a suicide in my first book, which was written at a time when I had more than one friend make attempts in very close intervals. That was incredibly personal for me, and incredibly difficult to write, but I think also part of why I was able to do it. It also helped me get some of my thoughts down, I think.

In general, though, I'd say it depends. It might be that you're ready to work on it, in which case it's a good thing and might be a very powerful addition to the story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What I don't do is take something that happened to me, and try to "fictionalize" it. But the experiences I've had and the feelings that go along with that will work their way into how my characters react to their own life experiences.

I suspect this is an individual writer decision. Many of the events I've used in fiction were taken directly from my own life and experience. Some of my best stories, or at least my best-selling stories, have been "fictionalized" only by changing the names to protect the guilty.

I suppose it also depends on the kind of life you've lived, and the experiences you've had.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I agree. It's not a question of right or wrong, but how much I'm willing to expose myself.

I have not lived the kind of life that is memoir-worthy. But it has still been peppered - like most everybody's, I imagine - with all kinds of noteworthy incidents and gut-wrenching experiences. And I really don't want to face anything like: "There's no way he would have done that!" or "Did you seriously do that?" or "Did you write that to get back at your kids?" or ... Well, you get the idea. So when I use my own experiences, they pop up in such vastly different circumstances that even I don't see it half the time. ;)

StandJustSo

Registered
Reaction score
I have an incident in my novel that happened in real life years ago, but the actual event had a happier ending than in the book - 2 friends in a car crash, where the front of the car gets entangled in an old growth tree. In real life, both friends survived, although the driver had a permanent limp; in the novel, one of them dies.

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
I think fictionalizing morbid/disturbing/difficult real-life events is a way of processing them. At least for me. I don't do it often, but it's hard when I do.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
That happened to me recently, only I didn't notice it until working on a revision.

There's a corpse. The corpse isn't even physically there, someone is remembering finding the corpse, and they think the deceased's name. It turned out to be the name of a friend. A resident of the hospice center I worked at, that I found dead. The nurse made me clean and prep her body since I was the bottom rung medical staff. Just...that was not very nice of my muse to put in there. I couldn't write anything for a few days after discovering that little bomb.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I think we all do it to some degree. Maybe not an 'exact' experience per say, but we will transcribe the emotion and other factors into the story. If we were to take a step back from our works and looked at them objectively, i'm sure we'd see many parallels between some elements in our stories and our 'skeletons'.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I've written about lots of stuff that has happened to me. The more painful, embarrasing, stupid or illegal, the better - for the story, not necessarily for me at the time. There's not much I wouldn't magpie from my own life, with the exception of credit card details. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.