Good games based on franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
So imagine yourself on your average stroll down the video game aisle at Best Buy/FYE/Circuit City (does Circuit City even exist anymore??) and you're perusing titles. You notice a consistent theme in some titles...they are tied in with outside franchises. Most of these games are outright cringe-worthy: High School Musical Sing Star? Shrek games? Even games based on Up, Harry Potter, Wall-E, and more.

My question to you, then, is this: Have you ever played a franchise game that you actually enjoyed?

The only one off the top of my head is The Simpsons: Hit and Run. I loved being able to explore Springfield and complete all the random missions and sidequests. Collecting is fun. Destroying things with your car is also fun.

Any thoughts?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My husband is currently playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and loving it. I'm in line to play next. I went through the demo a couple of months ago and found it really superb.

Also, I love all the Lego games - Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman. Very, very fun, especially playing with someone else.

I played most of the way through Wall-E and somewhat enjoyed it but it was not very well made and I ended up quitting because my frustration at various malfunctions finally overwhelmed any enjoyment I was getting.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember renting Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets once and finding it quite fun. But maybe that was just because I love the Potter-verse, though.

True, the Lego games are so fun! I loved Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones.

Rhys Cordelle

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Bioware.

Except for Neverwinter nights 2.

Don't blame bioware for that, blame obsidian!

I can't stand games based on movies or tv. They are almost always just trying to cash in on the popularity of the show, and they very rarely make a decent effort to make the game enjoyable. The same is true in reverse. Doom anyone?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Goldeneye, of course!
Spiderman 2 was ok. True, the graphics were poor, and the missions not all that great, but they absolutely nailed the control system. It was tons of fun just webslinging around the (big) city.
Then they ruined it again in the next Spidey game. :(
Back in the day, there was a C64 ghostbusters game that I remember being pretty fun. Also, it had Space Invaders as a loading game to give you something to do while you waited.
Aliens vs Predator was a nice variation in the FPS. And the unlockable content was awesome - sniper munch ftw!
The Warriors was great - as is pretty much anything Rockstar touches.

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Aliens vs. Predator 1-2
Star Trek: Bridge Commander, Armada 1-2, Dominion Wars
Star Wars: X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Outcast, Rebel Assault 1-2
And as other mentioned, any game that is based on a franchise and created by Bioware.

Hmmm. And if we take this question non literally, StarCraft. It's based on multiple franchises. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.