Simplified v. complex rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannaRay

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the poster is talking about Chinese translation rights...I don't know the difference, but it must be googalble.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that complex Chinese rights are for books to be published in Taiwan and other Chinese-speaking countries outside mainland China (Singapore and Malaysia come to mind, there are others, as well). Simplified Chinese rights would be for the book to be published for sale in mainland China. I think it has to do with differences in the language patterns depending on intended geography of the sales, because Chinese has different dialects and language patterns.

~suki

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
If that's what this thread is about, it's called Traditional Chinese, not Complex. It's the form of written Chinese used in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan and amongst overseas Chinese communities from those countries. Singapore uses Simplified and I think Malaysia does as well. Mainland China uses Simplified and it's used in the United Nations.

Spoken Chinese uses the type of written Chinese used in whichever country you are. Since the characters represent concepts and aren't phonetic, they are the same whether you are speaking Mandarin or Cantonese or whatever. Otherwise the dialects aren't mutually comprehensible.

Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese are different translation rights.

jthome123

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Chinese rights is what I was talking about. Sorry for being so vague, and thanks for the answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.