PDA

View Full Version : Any German speakers?

Irishgirl
11-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I need to name a castle. I have several ideas for names like Starkberg (strong mountain), but I really don't like them. The castle sits atop a steep hill or small mountain, which is wooded. It is near, but not on, a river. It is the stronghold of the country and the seat of the monarchy. It is meant to be a defensive dwelling, but also holds great gardens and other 'civilized' pleasures. Any meaningful names would be of great assistance. I am sick of having '*** (name of castle)' in my WIP. ;)

waylander
11-20-2009, 11:40 PM
It'll be 'Schloss something'

Irishgirl
11-20-2009, 11:52 PM
What does Schloss mean?

waylander
11-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Schloss is castle or palace, the alternative is festung which means fortress

Like this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Hohenwerfen

Puma
11-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Look at an older map of Germany (you should be able to find some by googling) - there are many castle names shown on some of the maps. They can be names of things. Hope that helps. Puma

backslashbaby
11-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Altschwanstein.

Sorry, that was a joke :D

Neuschwanstein = new swan stone

I do like stone, and probably alt (old). AltSomething*stein would be my suggestion.

* the something could be an animal related to the area or royal family, a feature of the woods, etc.

Puma
11-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Or it can be a family name - Kerschbaumer Schloss - Kerschbaum Castle (Kerschbaum derivative of cherry tree). I did some research on that one which is actually a ruin in Austria above the Danube. Puma

Priene
11-21-2009, 07:10 PM
If you want a real one, Hohenstaufen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenstaufen_Castle) is a good example, and home to a genuine monarchy, the 'Vipers' Brood' of the Hohenstaufens. You wouldn't have got great gardens at the top of the hill, though. It's not that big.

Irishgirl
11-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Schloss is castle or palace, the alternative is festung which means fortress

Like this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Hohenwerfen

I like that one, I was also looking at Marksburg castle, it's a but smaller, but it fits the bill. I figure the castle would be pretty old.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Irishgirl
11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Neuschwanstein = new swan stone

I do like stone, and probably alt (old). AltSomething*stein would be my suggestion.

* the something could be an animal related to the area or royal family, a feature of the woods, etc.

That is a good Idea, the family crest contains a bear, I borrowed it from the Saxony-Anhalt coat of arms...which is convenient because I named the kingdom Anhalt.
Thank you for all your help.

Sargentodiaz
11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
if the family crest contains a bear name it Schloss [forgot the German word for bear] should work.
In the 9 years I spent in Germany and Austria, the majority of small family castles were either named after the family or some specific place/trait.

Irishgirl
11-21-2009, 11:03 PM
if the family crest contains a bear name it Schloss [forgot the German word for bear] should work.
In the 9 years I spent in Germany and Austria, the majority of small family castles were either named after the family or some specific place/trait.

Thank you, that is just the kind of info I needed. :)

Menyanthana
12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
"Schloss Bär" (castle bear) wouldn't work, it would sound strange to native speakers. "Burg Bärenstein" would work. (a "Burg" is not as pretty as a "Schloss", it is more of a defensive dwelling.)

I suggest you google some pictures to find out what "Schloss" and "Burg" exactly mean - I am not absolutely sure about the difference.

"Schloss Bärenstein" however, would work, too. It just wasn't the first thing that came to my mind.