Zoombie makes a Dragons Age Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm downloading the toolkit to make mah very own Dragons Age adventures.

I'm going to fiddle, but my dream is to eventually make a mod detailing the adventure of a computer gamer who is sucked into a cliched fantasy world and only their knowledge of tropes and cliches will save them.

So, Zoombie Style comedy + Dragons Age combat and gameplay? Sounds awesome to me! (That means the project is doomed to failure, but whatever.)

Now...lets...see about getting the toolkit to open up.

tarcanus

Lord of the Tarcans
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to fiddle, but my dream is to eventually make a mod detailing the adventure of a computer gamer who is sucked into a cliched fantasy world and only their knowledge of tropes and cliches will save them.

Wouldn't this make the game too easy? Many people who played fantasy games like Dragon Age already know many of the cliches and tropes, so they'd breeze right through a game where knowledge of cliches and tropes got them through.

Hopefully your humor is enough to make the game shine.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Let's see, when was the last time a game developer tried to subvert a cliched fantasy world?

Oh, that's right, it was Obsidian doing NWN 2. And it was a disaster.

Good luck ;) No, really, I mean it. If you can pull it off while keeping it reasonably short, you could use it in an application to Bioware.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Aaand the fucking toolkit won't install. It crashes while trying to install something called the SQL Server 2005 Microsoft bumfuckery thing.

But IF I can get it to install, and IF I can figure out how to work it, THEN I have some ideas on how to avoid the downfalls of Neverwinter Nights 2.

Firstly: Mine will actually be funny.

Secondly: No, seriously, I'll actually be funny.

Thirdly: People will know its supposed to be a parody. I mean, who wants to walk into a movie expecting Citizen Kane and getting...uh...some...kind of parody.

Now...anyone know what an SQL server is?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't this make the game too easy? Many people who played fantasy games like Dragon Age already know many of the cliches and tropes, so they'd breeze right through a game where knowledge of cliches and tropes got them through.

Hopefully your humor is enough to make the game shine.

Well, lets see, a nerdy girl or guy from our era versus orks and trolls and wizards...yeah, you're going to need your wits about you, cause even a well known trope can kill!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Aaand the fucking toolkit won't install. It crashes while trying to install something called the SQL Server 2005 Microsoft bumfuckery thing.

[...]

Now...anyone know what an SQL server is?
Yeah. It's a database management system designed to understand the Structured Query Language. Competes with Oracle and the like. Generally used by programmers for, well, storing data. Check Google to see if other people are having this problem.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Zoom,

I'm guessing that the error you got can be fixed by going to the link below, downloading the software, and installing it on your box.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/express-down.aspx

Check Google to see if other people are having this problem.

What he said. About 80% of these sorts of problems can be solved by copy/pasting the error message to google followed by the name of the package you were trying to install when you got the error.

What he said.

Good luck. Keep us posted; I'm curious to hear how it goes.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'm installing the fix it once I'm done beating this hoard of zombies in Dragon Age. Did you know that if you use cone of cold, you can set up like 5 enemies to stand still long enough to drop TWO fireballs on them?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I actually have not gotten to try Entropy that much, but Blood Magic (from what I have heard) is seriously badass. Mind control, basically. MIND CONTROL!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I really like this so far, though I can't figure out how to make the room brighter.

Still, its quite cool thusfar and people have already started putting up helpful tutorials.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no, I mean in the render window of the toolkit, you see the area you're working on. Problem is that its rendered without light, and I can't figure out how to, for example, make it daytime while working on an outside area.

Rhys Cordelle

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Like the NWN toolset just had a button to turn the lighting on and off. I haven't played with the DA toolset yet, it looks too complicated for me.

Entropy has some cool stuff. One of my favorite moves is to cast Sleep on a crowd of enemies and then target one of them with Horror. It gives them deadly Nightmares!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And BAM! My first modal is done!

It is just a simple convo with Doug.

screenshot2009120214453.jpg

Hello Doug!

screenshot2009120214463.jpg

Ah the Famous Doug. But no, our hero has been trapped here by Zoombie. Muahahaha!

screenshot2009120214464.jpg

Curses! Damn you, Doug, you have freed our hero...FOR NOW!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I can't make my mod. Turns out, all the bugs that cropped up in my game are directly traced back to the Toolset. Turns out tis got some MAJOR issues. Major major issues that cause it to rewrite data in the main campaign even if you don't want it too.

Sooo, bummer.

kith

Chronic Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
china--doll.deviantart.com
Have you tried clearing the override files? I also got some bugginess from playing around in the toolset, as everyone in Ostagar suddenly seemed to think my human noble wasn't human anymore (particularly strange when I spoke to my Dog. I must've hit my head in the Korcari Wilds, because all of a sudden I'd forgotten who he was, got the dialogue from the encounter you get if you start any non-human noble origin, and was prompted to give him a name. Again. Not to mention I was zapped to a strange white screen afterwards).

I muddled around the Bioware forums and took the advice of deleting all the files in Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age\modules and Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override. I also renamed the Single Player module folder. Seems to have fixed the bugs I was experiencing, anyway.

If it doesn't work, you may like to know that the toolset patch is due very soon, and it's supposed to stop the toolet from interfering with the main compaign among other things. ^__^

*goes back to lurking*

Status
Not open for further replies.