Help!! First Thanksgiving Dinner! What do I do???

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
I need help and ideas from the AW kitchens!

This will be the first year that we're making Thanksgiving dinner by ourselves at our house (for the 6 of us). We usually go to varoius family members homes, but we decided to stay in this year.

I've never cooked a turkey.
I've never made stuffing/dressing. (Because apparently the boxed kinds don't count ;))
I have four kids who can be picky, but need to try some tasty veggies.

Can anyone help me out with some recipes and how to prepare a turkey? :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Okay for the turkey, go to wally land and buy a roaster oven. You will never regret buying it and they're under 35 bucks. They make the turkey or anything you roast in it absolutely perfectly tender and fall apart delicious. I can't pick my turkey up by the legs because it falls apart. I cut through the bone and didn't even know it. Love it.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=roaster++oven Here's a link to what you're looking for. There are several styles as you can see, I have the white one. Another beauty about this is you can cook your turkey faster and it doesn't tie up your oven half the day!

Next. Select your turkey, make sure you thaw it out, probably overnight in cold water. Change out the water often. When it's all thawed out you want to pat it dry, this is so your seasonings stick. Then you want to pick out a recipe, whether it's a rub or whatever. This is my personal favorite and my family begs for it every year.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...rbes-de-provence-and-citrus-recipe/index.html

If you can't get herbes de provence a simple google search will bring up a recipe with common spices to put together. Highly recommended.

Then you want to pick your sides. Do you want to roast your potatoes in with the turkey? If so drop them in and they'll sit among the juices. Or you can herb bake them or whatever.

As for making the gravy, if you make the above turkey, use the drippings, and juice for the gravy in place of broth. You will not regret it. It makes an extremely scrumptious and unique gravy.

On to the other sides. Figure out what your family likes and make them. Same with pies.

There are rolls you can buy them or make them, your choice.

Make a checklist. It will save you lots of trouble.

Meat - your choice turkey, ham, both whatever.
sides - list them
rolls
pies - list them.

As you get them going check them off so you know what you have and what you need. Also I strongly suggest shopping a few days ahead of time so you're not mixed up in the last minute madness.

Good luck!!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There's time to practice with a chicken before taking on bigger fare.

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Icerose about the roater as well. You can also make pork/beef roasts that will fall apart in these as well. And all the dripings are captured at the bottom for easy making of a gravy or au jus...very good!

som1luvsmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Icerose! I think I just saw that white roaster at the store the other day. :)

And I actually HAVE the herbes de Provence from a recipe for Butternut squash tortelloni.
(It smells so good! It almost makes paying ten bucks for the jar not so bad. ;))

That's a really good idea GeorgeK! I'll have to try that this weekend. :)

And thanks, Justin91! It's good to know that I'll be able to use it for more than one dish a year. :D

Does anyone have any good recipes for potatoes, dressing, and a veggie dish?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Two ideas for the potato dish:

One, you can just microwave a bunch of scrubbed sweet potatos (about 20 minutes on high for six potatoes) or

Two, you can microwave the sweet potatos a day or so ahead of time, then scoop out the (slightly cooled) insides into a large bowl and refrigerate. Just before reheating in the microwave for dinner, add some honey, a slab of butter, and a dash of orange juice. Mix well, heat in microwave, stir, and serve.

ETA: One other idea. If you want white potatoes, get the smal red potatoes, scrub them (about ten of them), slice each in half, place around turkey in roasting pan, drizzle w/ olive oil, a little salt, and they'll cook right along with it. Icerose mentioned this above, I just noticed!

Last edited:

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really cheap, so here's my herbes de provence recipe:

•2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
•2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
•2 tablespoons dried savory
•2 tablespoons dried, crushed lavender (optional)
•1 teaspoon dried basil
•1 teaspoon dried sage
•1 teaspoon dried, crushed rosemary

Mix together and store.

My favorite veggies are just a raw veggie plate with a dip, generally ranch, out on a platter. My kids prefer it this way as well. Steamed veggies with a cheese sauce would work.

This is one of my more favorite cornbread stuffings, though I have to make the cornbread from scratch.

1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 small onion
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons dried sage
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.Prepare the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
3.In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion until soft.
4.In a large bowl, combine the celery, onions, 3 cups crumbled corn bread, eggs, chicken stock, sage and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
5.Place into prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to add, if you buy a turkey that doesn't have one of those nifty pop up timer doneness thingy, you can buy a meat timer or buy one of those stick in pop up timers for your turkey. It takes a lot of stress out of the cooking.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Helpful tip, though not of specific menu items -

The first Thanksgiving I did, I had to serve eighteen. Once I decided on what to eat, I photocopied the recipes from the books and made my shopping list directly from them. The night before the big day, I went through the recipes, organizing them by oven temperature. (I know that's weird; bear with me.) Then I wrote out an order of operations (don't forget stuff that's cooked on top of the stove) arranging what should be cooked when. Come the big day - everything was served while it was still warm and everyone thought I was a genius.

som1luvsmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Order Chinese.

what?

They serve duck.

*takes cover*

If it were just me, I'd change it to Thai food and go for it, but hubby's a traditional kinda guy. Gotta have the turkey. :D

Oh I forgot to add, if you buy a turkey that doesn't have one of those nifty pop up timer doneness thingy, you can buy a meat timer or buy one of those stick in pop up timers for your turkey. It takes a lot of stress out of the cooking.

I wouldn't have even thought of that. I'll see if I can find one with the pop up thingy. Thanks!

som1luvsmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Helpful tip, though not of specific menu items -

The first Thanksgiving I did, I had to serve eighteen. Once I decided on what to eat, I photocopied the recipes from the books and made my shopping list directly from them. The night before the big day, I went through the recipes, organizing them by oven temperature. (I know that's weird; bear with me.) Then I wrote out an order of operations (don't forget stuff that's cooked on top of the stove) arranging what should be cooked when. Come the big day - everything was served while it was still warm and everyone thought I was a genius.

That's not weird. That's awesome! Great idea, Perks! :D

som1luvsmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do what we do when we have Thanksgiving at our house.

Have your mom come over and make it.

Hey! I'll have you know that I'm a grown woman and fully capable of making my own Thanksgiving Day meal.

Besides, one of my older brothers snatched her up before I could this year.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
One really important thing: keep a sense of humor. Nothing can kill a festive atmostphere than being upset because something burned or someone knocked over the veggies, or you have to nuke underdone potatoes.

Stuff happens. Kids will remember and you'd rather they remember the laughter and, of course, then remind you over and over again for years later, that you set off the smoke detectors with your cooking. (*stormie raises her hand*)

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Relax. Thanksgiving is one of the easier meals to prepare.

Everyone does it a little differently, so I'm not saying follow me because I am the goddess of Thanksgiving.

However, I've been doing it for a long time and the crowd goes wild for the results.

For six people, you only need around a 12 pound turkey. Not a big deal. I think the quality of the bird makes a difference. I order a "hippy" turkey from Sunflower or a place like that. Or a local butcher. Make sure it's thawed. The day before, brine it in a solution of saltwater, with optional sugar and lemon. You'll be glad you did. On Thanksgiving, rinse it thoroughly. Put it on a rack in a good-sized roasting pan. Throw some good stuff in the pan, like onions, garlic, lemons--tasty stuff.
Stuffing is a separate subject--everyone has their preference there. If no one is crazy for stuffing, put something tasty in the cavity, such as garlic, lemon or herbs. Yum. Sprinke with salt and pepper, maybe a little poultry seasoning. Roast at a high heat. Really. It will taste marvellous. Like 425 deg. Even 450 if you have the nerve. Seriously. If you're up to it, turn it over a couple of times, starting and ending with the breast up. If not, that's O.K. It will only take 2 hours to cook.

A meat thermometer is a good idea. Thigh should reach 180 deg.

Later we'll talk gravy, which is crucial, don't you agree?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
If it were just me, I'd change it to Thai food and go for it, but hubby's a traditional kinda guy. Gotta have the turkey. :D

I wouldn't have even thought of that. I'll see if I can find one with the pop up thingy. Thanks!
I hear ya'!
I've been tryin' for 21 years to get hubby to allow Chinese for just one year...traditionalist!!!

Have wanted to try Thai food, now that I'm back in U.S., but husband says it may be too spicey for me--can't handle the hot stuff anymore.
Suggestions?

som1luvsmi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Relax. Thanksgiving is one of the easier meals to prepare.

Everyone does it a little differently, so I'm not saying follow me because I am the goddess of Thanksgiving.

However, I've been doing it for a long time and the crowd goes wild for the results.

For six people, you only need around a 12 pound turkey. Not a big deal. I think the quality of the bird makes a difference. I order a "hippy" turkey from Sunflower or a place like that. Or a local butcher. Make sure it's thawed. The day before, brine it in a solution of saltwater, with optional sugar and lemon. You'll be glad you did. On Thanksgiving, rinse it thoroughly. Put it on a rack in a good-sized roasting pan. Throw some good stuff in the pan, like onions, garlic, lemons--tasty stuff.
Stuffing is a separate subject--everyone has their preference there. If no one is crazy for stuffing, put something tasty in the cavity, such as garlic, lemon or herbs. Yum. Sprinke with salt and pepper, maybe a little poultry seasoning. Roast at a high heat. Really. It will taste marvellous. Like 425 deg. Even 450 if you have the nerve. Seriously. If you're up to it, turn it over a couple of times, starting and ending with the breast up. If not, that's O.K. It will only take 2 hours to cook.

A meat thermometer is a good idea. Thigh should reach 180 deg.

Later we'll talk gravy, which is crucial, don't you agree?

YES. Gravy is very, Very, VERY important. :D Can't wait!

I hear ya'!
I've been tryin' for 21 years to get hubby to allow Chinese for just one year...traditionalist!!!

Have wanted to try Thai food, now that I'm back in U.S., but husband says it may be too spicey for me--can't handle the hot stuff anymore.
Suggestions?

Yes. I'll message you. :D

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Don't cook stuffing in the turkey--the bird will take longer to roast and there is a small risk of food poisoning. Put a few aromatics, like onions and lemons, in the cavity, and bake your stuffing separately.

Also--before you put the bird in, take some soft butter and rub it on the breast under the skin. Then rub the outside with olive oil and sprinkle it with chopped herbs.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The most important thing: make sure the turkey is thawed! I buy mine on Saturday and leave them in the fridge. When I go to roast the first one on Tuesday, it still has ice crystals in the cavity.

MM

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
If you cook regularly, anyway, you've got nothing to fear. Just keep a couple of things in mind:

Don't do anything fancy and experimental for the first time, the day of.

Play to your strengths.

Depending on the crowd, "plain but good food and lots of it" hardly ever goes wrong. :)

Do as much as you can on Wednesday (pies, cornbread and biscuits for stuffing, chopping onions, celery, garlic, and so on.)

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
My grandma made stuffing like this:

1/2 sweet cornbread
1/2 homemade biscuits
1(2 if you like onions)large rough chopped onion
Rough chopped celery to your taste (i leave it out, hate the stuff)
Chopped boiled eggs
Pepper/salt to taste
Sage, about 1 teaspoon for my taste. Leave it out if you don't like it or drop to 1/2 tsp if you haven't tried it.

Enough hot drippings from the roasted turkey to make the whole bowl of this mess soupy. You want it about as wet as cake or brownie batter. It'll look like lumpy/chunky mush. Doesn't sound appetizing, but it tastes great.

Pour into an oiled 13x9 pan or two if you're making lots. I always make at least two pans, this stuff goes fast. Bake along with the turkey if you're cooking it Thanksgiving morning. If not- 350 F until the top is brown, crispy in spots, and pulling from the pan sides.

Things I've added over the years-
Chopped apple and walnuts
Sausage
Black olives

I can't give you exact measurements on the liquid or the breads because we've always eyeballed it. My best estimate is 6 cups each of the breads. Liquid, 4 cups [maybe].

My husband makes great whipped sweet potatoes. He bakes them, whips with melted butter and the juice from a jar of cherries, adds in a half a shot of Jack Daniels, a dash of cinnamon, then bakes at 350F for about 20-30 minutes. He tops it all with marshmallows just before it is ready to come out of the oven.

Best advice? Don't forget to take the giblets and neck out of the bird. I've done that even though I've been hosting holiday parties for 15 years.