Other genres sneaking up on you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what my brain's doing lately. In the last week it's completely blindsided me with novel ideas for three completely different genres - completely different from each other, and completely different from what I'd considered to be my chosen genre (lit fic). One is a historical fiction, one a - of all things - zombie horror (and I hate zombie films and novels, with the exception of 28 Days Later and Zombieland) and one a YA sci-fi. I'm thinking it would be interesting to try and take my own slant on them, and keep somewhat to my literary style rather than the straight genre conventions (a literary zombie novel? Can it be done?).

I'm guessing it's somewhat a reaction to my ongoing slow progress with my WIP, though I refuse to drop it to chase after one of these other ideas.

Has anyone else been compelled to write in a genre they never thought they'd consider?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Genre is irrelevant. Story is everything.

I don't say I'm a horror writer, or an SF writer, or whatever else. I write what I want to write, or - more accurately - what I need to write.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
My ideas tend to be all over the map too. I'm working on my second fantasy novel at the moment, but if I get no takers, I'll tackle one of the other ideas. If fantasy proves to be a profitable niche for me, then maybe I'll find a way to "fantasize" one of the others... LOL

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I used to say "I'm a horror writer". Then I wrote a mystery and it got me an agent. Now I say I write lots of things. :D Try writing these other ideas--you never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.