"He throws the covers off the bed every single night," she said.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Opinions please:

She wakes up freezing and looks over and sees him lying there sleeping peacefully, naked and content, while she's turning blue. So, she gets off the bed, picks up the blankets from the floor, pulls them back onto just her OWN body, and falls asleep ... only to wake up several more hours later to find the covers on the floor again.

He says he can't help it because he does it entirely in his sleep. The truth is that he doesn't like to be hot.

Fine, she says, don't be hot then. Just leave me to my covers.

But he insists that he can FEEL the covers when they are on her and he doesn't like how it feels and so without knowing it he will always kick them onto the floor. He says he's done this since he was a kid and has never been able to stop because it's involuntary.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Separate bedrooms? If he can't help it, then he should sleep elsewhere.

It sometimes helps to tell yourself, out loud and firmly before laying down to sleep, not to do something while you're out. It has worked for me to reduce jaw-clenching and we just have used this tactic to help stop my daughter's "falling dreams". It's always worth a try.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, separate blankets? They'd be harder for him to kick off, I'd think.

I was a cover-stealer, but I had no idea I did it, at all. Separate covers worked great for us :) Good luck!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
A double set of blankets? He can kick off his covers, but he shouldn't be able to kick off yours.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
She said he takes blankets off her even when they aren't touching him, so I'm actually revising my recommendation to Taser. He thinks he can't help it, but there's so much that electricity can illuminate.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
She said he takes blankets off her even when they aren't touching him, so I'm actually revising my recommendation to Taser. He thinks he can't help it, but there's so much that electricity can illuminate.

Hmmmm... Tasers. (A little Pavlovian re-conditioning??) I'll reccommend it. ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hmmmm... Tasers. (A little Pavlovian re-conditioning??) I'll reccommend it. ;)
Sadly (or probably not) I'm only violent in my mind. But I can guarantee Mr. Soandso wouldn't get a peaceful night's sleep until he stopped ruining mine. I may not be violent, but I damned nasty when my home comforts are trampled upon. I'd wake him up - every. single. time. All the way awake, lights on. He'd stop.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
How about digging a large hole or pit into the basement floor wherein he might sleep? It puts the lotion in the basket...?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My husband and I have separate comforters. We don't use sheets (except for the fitted one on the mattress). We just get cheap comforters and wash those instead. It's worked out well for us. :)

But since your guy seems to be doing it even when he is not touching... yeah, I'd wake him up every time and ask him to give the blankets back, please.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I agree with making sure that he can't sleep comfortably if I can't. I don't buy the "i can't help kicking them off when they're not even on me" part of it. That to me sounds more like power-struggle, because the effort it takes to remove blankets you're not even under is more than just "kicking them off."

If that doesn't work, I'd sleep some place else until he finds away to learn how to stop. And, given that I'm a bit nasty when sleep deprived, that would include other sorts of "sleeping."

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Get yourself a single sleeping bag to keep on top of the bed.
Let him kick the covers around all he wants, but if you're zipped up in
your sleeping bag, nice and cozy, he can't kick it off.

Nighty night.

I also like the taser idea.
Just to cure passive-aggressive behavior, of course.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, A DUDE sleeps naked? wtf

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly (or probably not) I'm only violent in my mind. But I can guarantee Mr. Soandso wouldn't get a peaceful night's sleep until he stopped ruining mine. I may not be violent, but I damned nasty when my home comforts are trampled upon. I'd wake him up - every. single. time. All the way awake, lights on. He'd stop.

This. And then pretend I did it in my sleep so I can't help myself and I'm not responsible.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
But he insists that he can FEEL the covers when they are on her and he doesn't like how it feels and so without knowing it he will always kick them onto the floor. He says he's done this since he was a kid and has never been able to stop because it's involuntary.

I'd also be telling him that he could FEEL his way to the couch if he can't leave the covers on her when they are clearly not bothering him.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a blanket stealer, but I am a bed hog. I start on my side, but I'm a midnight spooner, so I tend to roll over and latch onto my girlfriend. She tells me she'll wake up with about an inch between her and the wall. At first she'd just deal with it, but I told her to just get me to move. Now, she uses both feet and hands to shove me to the other side of the bed. It doesn't wake me up, so I don't care.

lucidzfl said:
Wait, A DUDE sleeps naked? wtf

I sleep naked. I don't really prefer it, but the woman who sleeps next to me does so in the nude, and she demands symmetry. It facilitates midnight surprises too. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Death. Or separate houses.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a blanket stealer, but I am a bed hog. I start on my side, but I'm a midnight spooner, so I tend to roll over and latch onto my girlfriend. She tells me she'll wake up with about an inch between her and the wall. At first she'd just deal with it, but I told her to just get me to move. Now, she uses both feet and hands to shove me to the other side of the bed. It doesn't wake me up, so I don't care.

I sleep naked. I don't really prefer it, but the woman who sleeps next to me does so in the nude, and she demands symmetry. It facilitates midnight surprises too. :D

I can't sleep that way at all. I'm like a teenager, a strong breeze and cap'n winky is raising the mast. And even if doing something about it at midnight was an option (it's not), I'd just be back in that spot an hour later.