can't write

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
moan, moan, moan.

i didnt write last week. i took on a load of extra work and so i knew i wouldnt be able to put any real effort into writing. also i finished and subbed a piece the week before and thought a week off writing would be a good idea anyway.

this week i have sat at the pc, same time as usual and...nothing. ive got nothing. not a sausage. actually i did write a strange first person present tense thinggy-not my usual style at all.

i feel like i am all written out. ive got nothing say, no story to tell.

moan moan moan.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Take a break, go live life, after you've lived some life and you still have no stories to tell maybe consider doing something else.

If after your break you miss writing and can't imagine not doing it, then figure out something to write.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
You can have one day off. Then, back in the chair. Write anything, even if it's not your usual style. Just do it anyway. It doesn't even have to be anything you intend to complete. Just write something. Stay in the habit, or it'll go away.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
The best advice I ever got about this (not that I always follow it) is to write through the block.

Just write, even if it's about nothing. Something will come of it eventually.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Find some writing exercises and try your hand at those. One of them might spark something.

Google "Writing exercises."

There was a time back in the 90s where I'd gone almost 4 years without actually writing anything. I found a writer's website that had some exercises, started doing an exercise each night, some I even repeated. And then, like a clog breaking loose in a pipe, the ideas started flowing and I wrote a 13,000 word short story, a 195,000 word novel, and have just continued.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I started a writing blog for short excerpts. I go in knowing the excerpts are throw-away because they're already "published" online and no one will have them. It's a no-pressure kind of situation. Even if it sucks I leave it up there, but the lack of pressure usually helps take of that edge that makes things stilted and sucky. It helped me, at least. Maybe you need some throw-away writing? Not so much pressure to be conventional and correct?

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
:)
thanks for the kind words everyone.

my wife just told me to do some sport. i havent been climbing for over a year.

i recently finished a grim old tale and the gruesome-ness of it all hit me once id finished. maybe i am just a little worn out after several weeks on that story.

i hope something occurs to me soon. im getting a bit down not to be writing something. i mean, i have block when im in the middle of something, i get it everyday. this is the first time in ages i have had an ideas block.

thanks again. im sure something will occur to me soon, i hope.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
a day you take off every week is a good thing. A week you take off every year is a good thing.

A week you take off because you just finished something is the surest way I know to stop writing for months.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Another trick is to pick up a book or story you like by someone else, and start typing it. It's not unusual for this to turn into a jumping off point for something of your own. (Just don't forget to delete the other person's work once your own takes off!)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Go out to your local mall with a notebook and people-watch. Think of the people and situations you see there as potential characters. Go do something you haven't done before, some one-off class that you think might make a good story and jot down notes. Get out of the house and away from your computer but still keep yourself in 'story' mode. I used to go to a tea shop and hang out, reading something related to my story. Unfortunately, that store closed but now that a local mall has put in some comfortable chairs and made the center court more 'hang out' friendly, I might spend more time there. (Which is probably the point of it all - getting people into the mall and using it like that in the hopes that they'll actually be tempted to spend money in the stores there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.