Synopsis question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. I've got a nonfiction book, it's an edited collection of stories and articles about ghosts. The publisher that I'm about to query is asking for submissions to include a 15-pg sample, a cover letter, and a synopsis. I'm good with the first two, but haven't a clue what I should put down in the synopsis. Is this a case of a general guidelines for all genres that has difficulty applying to a nonfiction work?

I was thinking I could include the 20 article titles, but the general summary of the book I sort of went over in the cover letter. Am I that clueless? I usually stick to writing fiction, and have read through the thread on "How to Write a Synopsis," but the info doesn't seem to apply here...

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
As you pointed out, a synopsis of a fiction book and nonfiction are different. In the case of nonfiction, I'm not sure I've seen the word "synopsis" used for submission packages. "Overview" is typically the word I've seen, granted, I haven't read submission guidelines for every single publisher out there.

Treat the request for a synopsis as you would a summary for your book. Make it as long as it needs to be, two pages, four, however many. And I believe sources and opinions vary, but some say to double space it, some say single space. If you choose single space, then don't indent each paragraph, just put a space or two between each one.

Two approaches you could take are to do a chapter-by-chapter synopsis, or one where the information in the synopsis flows together as one cohesive unit. The chapter-by-chapter approach is bordering on outlining, but not quite. What you want to do is show, as briefly as possible, the whole of your book. Touch on themes as well as the information you're conveying.

Don't stress out too much over it, as the publisher probably won't be adhering to the strictest definition of "synopsis" as they've probably seen many different formats of them, as long as they all get the information across so they can judge whether or not to move ahead with the project.

Hope that helps.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Yeah, usually one would submit a proposal.

Can you get a clarification on that?

Sometimes a non-fiction synopsis is used to make a case for a book, as in the validity of the theory presented. If you are putting forth a case for the existence/nonexistence of ghosts or something to that nature, you would cite your research and experts etc.

If it's not that kind of book, and you can't get clarification, do the overview thing. Information is often repeated in non-fiction submissions. Especially overview and marketing stuff. Parts of your submission may be read by different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.