Goldfish death statistics

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Yeah, I know this is a weird question. For one particular short screenplay, I'm looking for statistics on how many goldfish die each year of swimming bladder disease. Apparently, it's quite common, but I have yet to find exact numbers and since fish don't end up on the vet's autopsy table, I'm afraid it will be a guestimation game. In that case a number for the amount of pet goldfish in either the US or the UK and a general life expectancy would have to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I think in all my years I've seen one goldfish with swimming bladder disease. For quite a few years I had indoor aquariums (where I saw the disease) and for quite a few years now I've had outdoor ponds and have never seen it in a live or dead fish. Not sure on the life expectancy, but they do last a while (several years). You might have better luck looking for data if you check Koi (basically fancy goldfish). Since they're more desirable there might be more statistics available. Puma

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
You more than likely won't find an accurate statistic, since swim bladder disease is so common, especially in those goldfish that have the shorter, rounder bodies, and die frequently in home aquariums and pet shops that don't keep record. It's probably in the thousands that these fish die from this disease in a year, and thousands upon thousands more that die from ich, fungus and any other types of disease due to poor husbandry of the fish's "environment", overcrowding, poor diet and so forth.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
You're not likely to get accurate death statistics anyway, even if it were possible considering the fact that goldfish are used as a food source for many other captive species. That would be like trying to caculate the average life expectancy of chickens, and including all the broiler chickens in the meat industry in your figures.

On a personal anecdotal note, we had a tank of feeder goldfish my brother won at the fair live for 8 years, before someone dropped some pennies in and they were poisoned. Currently we have a pair of shubunkin and a pair of koi. They have all been extremely healthy for the two years we've had them.

K.Bristow

Somewhere between sanity & jumping
Registered
Reaction score
I have had over 200 goldfish in a man-made pond in my yard for nearly 10 years now. Most have been bred in the pond (ahh Mother Nature) since we began with 6. None have died from swimming bladder disease. An occassional cat and one peskie Blue Heron, maybe but not SBD. Does that Help?.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I think Robin has the right answer. Most goldfish die from dirty water. The amonia build up and kills them.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
Last month, I had to take my big goldfish to the vet. He was having swim bladder problems linked to a GI infection. One round of antibiotics later, he was a new fish. That said, in all the years I've had goldies, I've never lost one to swim bladder. And, most people aren't like me and won't spend the money to take a goldfish to the vet.

There's a community on livejournal called goldfish_bowl. Maybe you could set up a poll and get some stats to play with.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Goldfish should live about 10-30 years, kept properly. Fancy ones have a shorter lifespan. Swim bladder problems aren't a major risk with a good owner. Proper care reduces the risk of problems (avoid overfeeding, give the mushy bits from cooked peas sometimes and fast them one day a week). Treatments can be brought at the pet store.

Most goldfish aren't that lucky. They're kept in poor conditions and die within a few years. I'm sure most die from either ammonia poisoning or fungal infections brought on by the poor water conditions. Many have additional health complications because they're kept in tanks that are too small.

So the stats are pretty irrelevant for goldfish, even if you found them. A properly cared for goldfish has every chance of a long and healthy life. The rest will die young. If the stats said anything, I'd guess about 80-90% of shop brought goldfish die due to their owner's ignorance.

Not quite what you need, but it might help you invent a statistic for your needs.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I think an actual number is more shocking than a percentage, so while I could guestimate the percentage of fish that die due to owner ignorance, I'd still need some sort of total for the number of pet goldfish in the US.

(P.S. I'm talking about swimming bladder disease, because this fictional goldfish is going to be overfed quite a lot in a short time span)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Premature goldfish death due to poor care would be about 99% of goldfish--the AVMA has a pet population survey that should tell you roughly how many fish that would be.