PDA

View Full Version : Expecting the worst...

Nateskate
11-18-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm not sure why this is, but there's a point where I get really hopeful, and then I hit this speedbump and begin to expect the worst. I think this is why it makes no sense to post in the accomplishment thread. Finished a book, got a book deal, publishing company fell into the ocean.

I'm wondering if any of you also wrestle with this "waiting for the floor to collapse" syndrome?

Judg
11-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Seriously? Your publishing company tanked? :(

{{{hugs}}}

Bushdoctor
11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
man that's tough. go out and get some drink

kellion92
11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
This is one of those nightmare scenarios I never considered. Finally a contract, but then the publishing house goes out of business, or the editor leaves, and the project never sees the light of day. Awful.

Did the rights to your book revert to you? Do you have an agent or a literary lawyer to advise you? Another project?

Nateskate
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Seriously? Your publishing company tanked? :(

{{{hugs}}}

Smiles. I'm not quite at liberty to explain what happened, at least not yet. But economics made it impossible for them to go ahead with my project, although they wanted to in the worst way. Marketing budgets and all.

But I have a close relationship with the people involved. And their kindness has actually led to a very amazing possibility. But again, I'm still gun shy, and this time I don't think I'll say anything until contracts are signed and the cake's in the oven.

It's awkward. For two years I was telling people I was getting published and had a possible movie deal. And that was true. My first novel was supposed to be released 6/08, with a series to follow. Then it was september, january, and finally we had to have a conversation about whether or not they could do it.

In fact, it got so bad that I began avoiding everyone who I told I was getting published, including friends and relatives. On the plus side I finished edits on books 1-4, and I'm working on number 5.

At minimum, I'll have a pretty incredible story to tell when I see where the chips fall. But I'd rather not spell out the particulars until they fall one way or the other.

Nateskate
11-18-2009, 10:21 PM
This is one of those nightmare scenarios I never considered. Finally a contract, but then the publishing house goes out of business, or the editor leaves, and the project never sees the light of day. Awful.

Did the rights to your book revert to you? Do you have an agent or a literary lawyer to advise you? Another project?

Hi Kellion. It's the ultimate tease in some ways. We had a timeframe: The author website. They sent me illustrations from the artist they wanted to do the book cover. They had an editor picked out to work with me on the series. We had a tentative release date.

I'm fortunate that I have full rights intact. Another incredible opportunity has arisen, but as I said in the prior thread, I figure it's best in the long run to say nothing until I have an assurance that this isn't a dead end. I'd be back in the same hall of shame.

Of course, there's nothing to be ashamed of. But it's kinda like getting dumped at the altar. It's not consolation that you were engaged.

Judg
11-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Of course, there's nothing to be ashamed of. But it's kinda like getting dumped at the altar. It's not consolation that you were engaged.
I sort of get that part. I got an agent in record time, and then ended up terminating that relationship. Got an enthusiastic nibble after that, but he suddenly backed off. And since then, nothing. Aach! Having been engaged helps a bit, but not much. I'm beginning to feel like a pariah.

I am very happy for you that another door seems to be opening, and if you want to stay mum about things until you've got the book in your hands, I can understand that, no problem. Looking forward to when you feel confident enough to supply details.

Nateskate
11-19-2009, 05:00 AM
I sort of get that part. I got an agent in record time, and then ended up terminating that relationship. Got an enthusiastic nibble after that, but he suddenly backed off. And since then, nothing. Aach! Having been engaged helps a bit, but not much. I'm beginning to feel like a pariah.

I am very happy for you that another door seems to be opening, and if you want to stay mum about things until you've got the book in your hands, I can understand that, no problem. Looking forward to when you feel confident enough to supply details.

It's rather pathetic of me. This time I'm not talking until I get a ring on the finger. Almost, woulda, shoulda, it doesn't give me a thrill. Was it Yoda who said, "Is or Isn't" ? In a sense my Book is before Ceasar. Thumbs up or thumbs down.

Sorry to hear you went through all of that. It's disheartening to get close enough to smell it, taste it, see it, and then- "Oops- that's for the next table over. The chef lost your order, and we're closing in two minutes."

Judg
11-19-2009, 05:18 AM
Ah well. I'll be able to say I've paid my dues. We'll be able to tell our war stories and show off our scars.

MsJudy
11-19-2009, 06:09 AM
there's an article in the latest SCBWI Bulletin by an author who had already published the first four books in his series, had the fifth edited and designed, then with the economy and all...publisher just can't quite commit to a release date. It really sucks.

Good for you for not wallowing in despair and discouragement.

Nateskate
11-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Ah well. I'll be able to say I've paid my dues. We'll be able to tell our war stories and show off our scars.

Amen to that!

Nateskate
11-20-2009, 01:31 AM
there's an article in the latest SCBWI Bulletin by an author who had already published the first four books in his series, had the fifth edited and designed, then with the economy and all...publisher just can't quite commit to a release date. It really sucks.

Good for you for not wallowing in despair and discouragement.

Thanks. I've felt some despair and discouragement, but I fought to break through the wallowing part.

These are unique times.