You know you've really made it "when"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading the "Dan Brown is rubbish thread", and I've been there and done that, tossed a book with the impression my dog could write better. Of course, I've realized that writing really good rubbish is much harder than it looks.

Someday I imagine someone tossing my book into the fire, claiming it's rubbish, and then posting a thread about how that was the moment they realized they're good enough to get published.

That's when I'll know I've made it as a writer. How will you know when you've finally made it? Just curious.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. A web-forum thread either criticizing or praising my work will be a good indicator there. Although, sales numbers will suffice as well.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
When I don't have time to post here. :(

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Someday I imagine someone tossing my book into the fire, claiming it's rubbish, and then posting a thread about how that was the moment they realized they're good enough to get published.

That's when I'll know I've made it as a writer.
That'll only qualify to me as making it if i'm already swimming in an olympic-sized pool of money made from advances and royalties.

If someone pans my work that badly and i'm a debut author with a one thousand dollar advance and no indication of selling through, then i haven't made it yet. I just suck :D Until my next book, that is.

Last edited:

Fredster

Village idiot
Registered
Reaction score
I've already told my wife I'll feel like I've made it when I see a copy of my book at the flea market or used book store. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have made it when I get assaulted by teenagers who overhear me telling someone I wrote "such and such".

One way or the other, they will have recognised the book title, so even if they just throw eggs at me, it's still something.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I Google myself and find 100 threads on AW talking about how awful I am as a writer...

Oh, and when people start talking about my books as if it was second nature to them... like "you want a good book on this and that, and use this and that technique, here's Ray Wong's XYZ! Great read."

:)

Hittman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davehitt.com

I find rubbish inspiring.

Shortly before writing Blood Witness, I read a spy book by, I think, Larry Bond. It was horrible. Most of the clues came from dying terrorists. As they died they'd say things like "You can not stop us. The bomb in times square will go off at 1:32 tomorrow as planned, and you'll never find the yellow hot dog stand in time."

I propped it up on a shelf across the room. Whenever I got discouraged, looking at my words and thinking they sucked, I'd look across the room and say "Well, it's better than that."

If something as poorly written at Twilight can make a zillion dollars, we all be headed for the big time.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
When I can live comfortably for the rest of my life off what I've already made, then I'll know I have made it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I've made it as a writer? Every time I read something I wrote and think "Damn, that was good."

When I've made it as a published writer? When my grandmother in BFnowhere, Michigan can go into her local supermarket (they don't have a bookstore in her small town) and see my work for sale there.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought it would be awesome to see someone reading my book on an airplane or something. That would rock. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
When I see a total stranger on the bus or in the street or at the library reading my book. That tells me that (a) I published a novel through (b) publishers who are able to sell it to strangers who are (c) actually buying it.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I will have made it when I hear from someone I don't know who read my book. Still waiting for that one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've had several moments when I felt like I'd arrived, but the one that pleased me most was when a complete stranger walked up and asked my to sign a book.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
When I see a total stranger on the bus or in the street or at the library reading my book. That tells me that (a) I published a novel through (b) publishers who are able to sell it to strangers who are (c) actually buying it.
^ This.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
When I Google myself and find 100 threads on AW talking about how awful I am as a writer...

Oh, and when people start talking about my books as if it was second nature to them... like "you want a good book on this and that, and use this and that technique, here's Ray Wong's XYZ! Great read."

:)
I'm with Ray on this one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.