PDA

View Full Version : You know you've really made it "when"

Nateskate
11-18-2009, 05:34 AM
I was reading the "Dan Brown is rubbish thread", and I've been there and done that, tossed a book with the impression my dog could write better. Of course, I've realized that writing really good rubbish is much harder than it looks.

Someday I imagine someone tossing my book into the fire, claiming it's rubbish, and then posting a thread about how that was the moment they realized they're good enough to get published.

That's when I'll know I've made it as a writer. How will you know when you've finally made it? Just curious.

scarletpeaches
11-18-2009, 05:36 AM
MFC.

thethinker42
11-18-2009, 05:38 AM
I think receiving hate mail will be a good indicator.

MsGneiss
11-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Indeed. A web-forum thread either criticizing or praising my work will be a good indicator there. Although, sales numbers will suffice as well.

Salis
11-18-2009, 05:52 AM
When I don't have time to post here. :(

Izz
11-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Someday I imagine someone tossing my book into the fire, claiming it's rubbish, and then posting a thread about how that was the moment they realized they're good enough to get published.

That's when I'll know I've made it as a writer.That'll only qualify to me as making it if i'm already swimming in an olympic-sized pool of money made from advances and royalties.

If someone pans my work that badly and i'm a debut author with a one thousand dollar advance and no indication of selling through, then i haven't made it yet. I just suck :D Until my next book, that is.

Fredster
11-18-2009, 06:19 AM
I've already told my wife I'll feel like I've made it when I see a copy of my book at the flea market or used book store. :)

Caitlin Black
11-18-2009, 06:20 AM
I'll have made it when I get assaulted by teenagers who overhear me telling someone I wrote "such and such".

One way or the other, they will have recognised the book title, so even if they just throw eggs at me, it's still something.

willietheshakes
11-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Groupies.

scarletpeaches
11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Groupies.Hellz yeah.

That's one of the components of the 'MFC' in my post above. ;)

Gemnyc
11-18-2009, 07:17 AM
When I have to defend the themes of my book on Oprah :D

Matera the Mad
11-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Fan fic.

Judg
11-18-2009, 07:24 AM
When some up-and-comer is referred to as the next me.

Rhoda Nightingale
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Fan fic.
^THIS!

maestrowork
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
When I Google myself and find 100 threads on AW talking about how awful I am as a writer...

Oh, and when people start talking about my books as if it was second nature to them... like "you want a good book on this and that, and use this and that technique, here's Ray Wong's XYZ! Great read."

:)

AZ_Dawn
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Fan fic.
Better yet, a Mary Sue sporking community devoted to fanfics of your work! :fistpump

Hittman
11-18-2009, 06:55 PM

I find rubbish inspiring.

Shortly before writing Blood Witness, I read a spy book by, I think, Larry Bond. It was horrible. Most of the clues came from dying terrorists. As they died they'd say things like "You can not stop us. The bomb in times square will go off at 1:32 tomorrow as planned, and you'll never find the yellow hot dog stand in time."

I propped it up on a shelf across the room. Whenever I got discouraged, looking at my words and thinking they sucked, I'd look across the room and say "Well, it's better than that."

If something as poorly written at Twilight can make a zillion dollars, we all be headed for the big time.

icerose
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
When I can live comfortably for the rest of my life off what I've already made, then I'll know I have made it.

DeleyanLee
11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
When I've made it as a writer? Every time I read something I wrote and think "Damn, that was good."

When I've made it as a published writer? When my grandmother in BFnowhere, Michigan can go into her local supermarket (they don't have a bookstore in her small town) and see my work for sale there.

kaitie
11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I've always thought it would be awesome to see someone reading my book on an airplane or something. That would rock. :)

Parametric
11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
When I see a total stranger on the bus or in the street or at the library reading my book. That tells me that (a) I published a novel through (b) publishers who are able to sell it to strangers who are (c) actually buying it.

C.M.C.
11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I will have made it when I hear from someone I don't know who read my book. Still waiting for that one.

Jamesaritchie
11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I think I've had several moments when I felt like I'd arrived, but the one that pleased me most was when a complete stranger walked up and asked my to sign a book.

CaroGirl
11-18-2009, 09:00 PM
When I see a total stranger on the bus or in the street or at the library reading my book. That tells me that (a) I published a novel through (b) publishers who are able to sell it to strangers who are (c) actually buying it.
^ This.

JeanneTGC
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
When I Google myself and find 100 threads on AW talking about how awful I am as a writer...

Oh, and when people start talking about my books as if it was second nature to them... like "you want a good book on this and that, and use this and that technique, here's Ray Wong's XYZ! Great read."

:)
I'm with Ray on this one. :D

maestrowork
11-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I've always thought it would be awesome to see someone reading my book on an airplane or something. That would rock. :)

It would so totally freak me out (in a very good way), until, of course, it becomes a regular thing. ;)

Once someone I didn't know told me someone I didn't know in Montreal was reading my book (and recommended it). Now that was so freakishly cool. However, I didn't feel like "I have arrived."

geardrops
11-18-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.searchviews.com/images/Scrooge-McDuck.gif

(I kid)

ETA: and now I have the Ducktales theme stuck in my head...

Phaeal
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
When I'm sitting on my dock over Seymour Pond in Harwich, and, with my super-high-powered binoculars, I see someone on the public beach across the lake reading my latest book, and I can sit there aaaaaaalll day and write, because I'll never have to go to work again.

maestrowork
11-18-2009, 10:02 PM
write, because I'll never have to go to work again.

Writing is work, baby.

;)

Jamesaritchie
11-19-2009, 01:06 AM
I find rubbish inspiring.

If something as poorly written at Twilight can make a zillion dollars, we all be headed for the big time.

Yes, if we all also have a story as good and characters as well-loved as Twilight.

AnonymousWriter
11-19-2009, 02:18 AM

This.

Misa Buckley
11-19-2009, 02:29 AM
When I'm invited to ComicCon / DragonCon.

Free entry is why I'm doing this gig ;)

Kitty27
11-19-2009, 04:57 AM
When anti-sites spring up and tear apart every piece of my novels. They'll hate me and have a holier than thou 'tude,but don't seem to realize they are STILL reading my books!

maestrowork
11-19-2009, 05:05 AM
When I'm invited to ComicCon...

Free entry is why I'm doing this gig ;)

I got my free entry last year. I have arrived!! :)

BigWords
11-19-2009, 05:34 AM
How will you know when you've finally made it?

When I'm asked to appear on a chat show.

And when I tell Jonathan Ross to shove the invitation up his ass.

SeeCeeWrite
11-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Fan fic & groupies would work for me, too :)

kaitie
11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
When I get the Colbert Bump. :D

Libbie
11-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Getting an Amazon review that's so angry and vitriolic, it makes me LOL. Nobody will bother with a really pissy review if you're a nobody.

Hittman
11-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Yes, if we all also have a story as good and characters as well-loved as Twilight.

My daughters tell me the same thing they like the characters and story enough to put up with the crappy writing.

Me, I couldn't get past the crappy writing.

You know you've made it when you see your stuff charted on GraphJam.
http://graphjam.com/2009/06/19/song-chart-memes-books-with/

Rhoda Nightingale
11-20-2009, 12:59 AM
When I get the Colbert Bump. :D
:ROFL:

You win.

scarletpeaches
11-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Yes, if we all also have a story as good and characters as well-loved as Twilight.That may very well be your opinion but in mine the story was non-existent and I despise everything about Bella Swan. She is nothing that I want to emulate in myself or my characters.

Brindle MacWuff
11-20-2009, 03:19 AM
When I find myself addressing my fans from the back of a Bentley, using a loudhailer.

"STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!"