I'm going to college next fall!

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I announced this on my blog yesterday, but I guess I should do it again for the rest you peeps. Yesterday I received an acceptance letter from the college I applied to and was planning on attending. I was (and still am) thrilled. I'm especially glad to be attending this college because they offer support services for people with Asperger's Syndrome (which I have) and other autism spectrum disorders.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congratulations, Alan! Any idea what you're going to study, or are you waiting to see what you like?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
That's great news. College is an exciting time.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! College is so much fun and I'm sure you'll feel right at home in no time. :)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congratulations, Alan! Any idea what you're going to study, or are you waiting to see what you like?

I'm not sure what my major is going to be. Interest-wise, an English degree is most suitable for me, but the potential careers using said degree aren't exactly very well-paying. I'm going to have to pick a different degree if I want to make a reasonable amount of money. The problem is, there's not much else I'm interested in. Oh well. I still have time to make my decision regarding my major.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GRATS! Don't take too much creative writing kind of crud ;)

This college is a lot smaller than the University of Washington, so I don't even know if there is a creative writing class. Even if there is, I'd have to make sure the professor isn't someone who would squawk when he/she found out I write fantasy.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
well done, alan. congrats.
make the best of it, sir.

Deleted member 42

I'm not sure what my major is going to be. Interest-wise, an English degree is most suitable for me, but the potential careers using said degree aren't exactly very well-paying. I'm going to have to pick a different degree if I want to make a reasonable amount of money. The problem is, there's not much else I'm interested in. Oh well. I still have time to make my decision regarding my major.

Alan, the job situation is going to change so very fast in the next few years, that I don't know that it will matter.

Be undeclared for a couple of years; don't let anyone pressure you. Get your GE requirements out of the way.

Deleted member 42

This college is a lot smaller than the University of Washington, so I don't even know if there is a creative writing class. Even if there is, I'd have to make sure the professor isn't someone who would squawk when he/she found out I write fantasy.

Meh. Unless the teacher is someone whose stuff you can find in a store or library--and you think it's decent, you might wanna avoid creative writing classes and save up for VP or Clarion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alan, the job situation is going to change so very fast in the next few years, that I don't know that it will matter.

Be undeclared for a couple of years; don't let anyone pressure you. Get your GE requirements out of the way.

Meh. Unless the teacher is someone who's stuff you can find in a store or library--and you think it's decent, you might wanna avoid creative writing classes and save up for VP or Clarion.

Thanks for the advice, Lisa. No creative writing classes then.

And I'd love to go to Viable Paradise or either of the Clarions one day. Those would be well worth the money.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Yay Alan! :e2woo:

And Yay for finishing high school! College will be way better - high school is kind of the low point in life.

And as for jobs, do what interests you, not what will get you a good job!!!

Biggest mistake of my life was doing what would get me a job - I couldn't give a rats behind about business and economics and I've regretted wasting those years on it ever since. 80% of people only know about 20% of the jobs out there - there are always jobs in your chosen field, that's why it's a 'field'!

Do what you enjoy, or you'll never put your heart in it and achieve what you are capable of.

Okay lecture over, I'll stop now. :Hug2:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Yay for finishing high school! College will be way better - high school is kind of the low point in life.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite finished with high school. I'm still stuck in HS until June. But yes, I expect college to be much better.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Good for you Alan. I'm glad the school supports students with with Asperger's. Now go forth and write a best seller.

Deal with the degree later, take Medi's advice.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice one Alan. Enjoy it.

And take overtired's advice too - now isn't the time to be fixating too much on a career (unless you want to be a medic), just do what interests you and you'll get so much more out of the experience than if you just force yourself to do something you don't really like.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many congrats

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Alan. I am sure you will love college. You have received good advice already. I echo the "do what you love" advice. Congrats.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Alan.

College was the best time of my entire educational career. It's so much better than what comes before. Enjoy the time you have there and take every class that interests you (if scheduling allows).

Good luck.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YAY for ALAN! (You're not leaving the PNW though, are you?)