Heard on a clinic recording

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
"Don't ignore plantar warts. They're contagious AND (with one of those enthusiastic, perky voices putting a lot of emphasis on that word) they can spread."

Aargh!

The word-lover in me cringes.

Yes, I'm anal, and I'm looking for kindred spirits.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, took me a minute to see what was wrong, because I was thinking "spread" as in to more places on your own body, as opposed to spreading to others contagiously.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*Feels like a dope*

Aren't they different things? I thought it meant that they're contagious (can be spread to other people) and they spread on your own body once you have them. Or is that standard for warts, and a given?

*Continues to feel like a dope*

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Feels like a dope*

Aren't they different things? I thought it meant that they're contagious (can be spread to other people) and they spread on your own body once you have them. Or is that standard for warts, and a given?

*Continues to feel like a dope*

That's what I thought. If she's said "AND they can be spread," then I would have cringed.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think of contagion as spreading from one entity to another, but I don't know if that's technically correct.

This probably doesn't speak well of me, but if I heard that, I'd be more worried about the "spreading" part, than about giving it to someone else :)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Plantar warts are just standard warts that happen to be located on the soles of the feet, which means they cause pain instead of just being ugly. They're usually burned off with liquid nitrogen. Had to have that done for one of my kids once.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OK, so maybe I'm the dope. I didn't think that the spreading part was referring to spreading to other places on the same body. But isn't that still contagion?

They can spread in size...and offer up a nice tart butter if you poke 'em...for your toast...which, incidentally, you can spread...with a knife. Let's not poke at my use of ellipses.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Plantar warts are just standard warts that happen to be located on the soles of the feet, which means they cause pain instead of just being ugly. They're usually burned off with liquid nitrogen. Had to have that done for one of my kids once.

me too. incidentally (that's my word of the day) he's a hockey player. i feel the two are related, but i have no scientific evidence. incidentally, he is playing hockey in about an hour's time.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plantar sounds like the name of a Herculoids villain.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Plantar sounds like the name of a Herculoids villain.

I always always think of the Planter's Peanut Man...and I picture him under the skin of the sole of your foot--hurtin' like hell...like a peanut, or, more so like the pea that was under the mattress...but I'm crazy. What the hell do I know? I know I don't want a monocled peanut man under my skin, that's what!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Oh gee thanks, KTC. Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to shake the image of plantar wart jam. With friends like you... (See, I can use ellipses too.)

LOL @ Jcomp. Plantar actually means "on the soles". Probably a Latin root, seeing as plante is the word for soles in French.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh gee thanks, KTC. Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to shake the image of plantar wart jam. With friends like you... (See, I can use ellipses too.)

LOL @ Jcomp. Plantar actually means "on the soles". Probably a Latin root, seeing as plante is the word for soles in French.

So why didn't Paul Simon sing 'diamonds plantars of my shoes'? Why, Paul? Why?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

HA! No pun, right. Root...goes deep in a plantar wart. A latin root growing up into your sole. Ouch.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
OK, what have you been smoking? While I'm being grinchy, I just found out that Jermaine Jackson named his son Jermajesty. That pretty much qualifies as child abuse, in my books.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
OK, what have you been smoking? While I'm being grinchy, I just found out that Jermaine Jackson named his son Jermajesty. That pretty much qualifies as child abuse, in my books.

Oh my good lordy, please tell me that isn't true?!

(and btw, I read it the same way you did Judg. It reminds me of Yogi Berra saying "And you get cash, which is just as good as money!")

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
LOL! As for Jermajesty, I read it on Yahoo News, so it must be true, right? It's not a recent event, the boy is nine years old, it was just in an article discussing baby names. But that was a positively wretched choice.

I think I'm in a snarky mood today.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Well it's all a great read.

I had a plantars wart as a kid (from the pool) and plantar fascitis (sp?) as an adult. Let me know if there are any other plantars I need to do... not the Peanut Dude, though. I'm not doing him :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! As for Jermajesty, I read it on Yahoo News, so it must be true, right? It's not a recent event, the boy is nine years old, it was just in an article discussing baby names. But that was a positively wretched choice.
IIRC, Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane/Starship named her baby god--lower case so as not to disrespect those who worshipped the upper-case deity. But oddly enough, the kid (who must be a man by now) calls himself David.

Maryn, who can't understand the thought process that leads to some babies' names

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a plantar wart (I think) as a kid. It was something that looked real calloused and had these tiny black particles in it. Someone told me it was a "seed" wart? I have no idea. I just know it was opened, cleaned, dressed and went away.

I've also had plantar fasciitis. OMG! That was horrifically painful. And, of course, I got it when I was sent to Washington DC for a Patient Safety conference and had to do a lot of walking. I was in tears every evening when I got back to the hotel.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
This brings back horrible memories. My daughter had a plantar wart (from the shower at the pool, methinks) and we had a devil of a time getting rid of it. It hurt like hell and, yes, it spread and she ended up with three on the same foot. She had to wear socks around the house, which she hated, so the rest of us wouldn't get it because, yes!, they're contagious too. I think the fact they're contagious and they spread are, indeed, two different aspects of the horror that are plantar warts.

We ended up with a homeopathic remedy using a poultice of bread and vinegar duct-taped to her foot overnight. The thing turned black and we plucked it out root and all, after a whole lot of screaming (she was only 6 at the time).

<shudders>

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
In time the Planter Peanut man
Will haunt your dreams as best he can
With pincers on a waving shoot
To pluck the peanuts from your foot

And stop the vicious naming trend
That decent nicknames now must mend
Of childrens' names like "god" and "Apple"
"Jermajesty" and other crapple

Before these thing get out of hand
And spread, contagious, through the land
Oh, Peanut Man, come do your part
And cure the awful plantar wart!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I have obviously led a sheltered life. Caro, the doctors couldn't deal with it? I'll have to remember the bread and vinegar trick though.

Jodi, I hope to never understand what you went through. Not that I don't like you, or anything, but empathy is definitely over-rated. ;)

Maryn, I don't get the thought processes either. One baby naming site proclaimed Jermajesty the worst celebrity baby name ever. Quite apart from the appalling pretentiousness of it, think of the nicknames. Jerm. Her Majesty. Poor kid. I quite understand why god thinks David is a better name. If my parents had burdened me with one of those monstrosities, I would have been introducing myself with a nickname from a very early age.

Kate, that was wonderful.