Would you rather read a book about...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horserider92

Registered
Reaction score
paranormal abilities or paranormal activites if you had to. Also, why would you want to read that one

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar

Registered
Reaction score
Paranormal abilities set in the real world. I'm tired of vampires and werewolves, though; I'm looking for an author to bring something new to the party.

Paranormal activities bore me.

Then you will love my WIP! It's all about werevampirewolves!

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Paranormal activities, because P. abilities are just ... mundane. OOO look, I can read minds, I can float objects? No, you cannot. It's demanding suspension of disbelief but all you get for that investment is a human with some trick. Small universe, still.

Give me Paranormal ACTIVITIES (if I'm understanding your distinctions, to mean supernatural creatures? Maybe i'm mis-understanding you) and you've made it a big, wide open Universe full of Unknown coolness.

It's not just ... look at me, I can levitate the toilet tissues with my human mind to scrub me human arse! :)

I joke, but really, I think humans with extra abilities are still just humans. purty dull. Magical creatures are ... magical!

Just my personal taste, though. Different strokes for different folks. HEY! I can read everybody's words ... WITH MY MIND! :D

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I don't understand the question. As a general rule, I prefer to read stories about people. They don't have to be human.

Having said that, it's very difficult to get me to look twice at a story about vampires, zombies, or werewolves.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Then you will love my WIP! It's all about werevampirewolves!
Can they turn into bats? Might actually be fun to read about some characters with bat instincts for once, rather than read about the hero's inner wolf for the umpteenth time. I do rather like wolves, but combining human and wolf tends to always result in characters who lose their tempers, skulk, brood, get into fistfights, and otherwise are no different from any byronic hero since Heathcliff.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Can they turn into bats? Might actually be fun to read about some characters with bat instincts for once, rather than read about the hero's inner wolf for the umpteenth time.

Bat instincts? But is the world ready for a hero who is blind and when confronted by danger ... all he can do is squeak in such a high pitch it's beyond human hearing?

Don't even get me started on the hero's secret lair, stinking and slippery from all the guano. :)

Horserider92

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually chosen to write it on paranormal abilities since paranormal activities (vampires etc) is done toooo much. Now I just got to figure out which ones to put into my book so people will like it and that it will make sense... Thanks all though.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why the two would be exclusive of each other. If anything, they're likely to go together.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I've actually chosen to write my subject on paranormal abilities since paranormal activities (vampires, etc.) are overdone. Now I just have to figure out which ones to put into my novel so people will enjoy it and it will make sense... Thanks everyone.
Well first off, it seems your grasp of writing is a little weak, but that might be because you're from a non-English speaking country or you are very young.
So my best advice is practice your writing, read lots of books and pick up on how others write; their styles and techniques. There's also tons of self help books on writing. Also, writing short stories and being experimental helps to advance your skill, bit by bit. Basically, if I were you, I wouldn't go for the novel just yet. ;)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Write the story that is being told to you by your 'muse'. Don't worry about what other people think right now. Just write the story. Then, once it's out of your head and on 'paper', as it were, go through it and polish it. This is the stage where you'll probably find the most dificult. Some people can edit with no problems; others can't see the weaknesses in their writing because they're too close to it. But first and foremost, just write it. If it happens to be about vampires, great. If it's about werewolves, great. If it's about djinn, great. If it turns out to be Cannibal-Nazi-Hookers, then go for it.

Just write the story that wants to be told.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Expanding an author's suggestion I saw on Youtube, I'm seriously considering writing a short urban fantasy parody about "magical ninja krakens in love." Or maybe a "magical ninja krakens" interpretation of Three Muskateers.

Status
Not open for further replies.