PDA

View Full Version : I HATE YOU, CELLULITIS!

Libbie
11-17-2009, 07:28 AM
(I also hate cellulite, for what it's worth.)

Since yesterday afternoon, I've been dealing with a raging, pissed-off, throbbing earlobe. Since I became a zoo keeper I haven't worn any jewelry, but about a week ago I decided it would be fun to wear some cute earrings to my part-time book store job. It was fun...UNTIL THE EARRINGS GAVE ME CELLULITIS IN MY FREAKING EARLOBE. Now I want to find a way to turn them into living things just so I can kill them out of REVEEENNNNGE!

Today I had to do my zoo job and wasn't able to get to my doctor until the evening. By then, he was on call and pressed for time. He mistakenly prescribed me an antibiotic I can't take, because it's in a family to which I am allergic. I'm glad I thought to check before I ate one.

ARRRGH DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

Tomorrow I can go back to the doc's and get it fixed, and the poor guy is as overworked as I am right now. But dude. I hate my ear right now. I'm hoping fourteen more hours won't be enough to turn my nice little staph infection into necrotic fascia or whatever. I really can't afford to take the time off work to be hospitalized right now.

Oh, well. It's probably not as bad as it feels. I just wanted to tell the world how much I hate cellulitis. Fuck you, cellulitis!

escritora
11-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Fuck you, cellulitis!

That's worth repeating.

Susie
11-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Geez, l) hope your ear gets better, 2) maybe you should find a different doc, and 3) what the heck kind of earrings did you buy to give you celulitis? Yikes. I ain't buying those earrings.

Fenika
11-17-2009, 08:25 AM
You work in the zoo? That's awesome. We demand stories :D

And, um, bugger about the ear. And the nearly dying. And for not taking a pill so you can then sue your doctor for malpractice.

(KIDDING on that last one!)

(Can you sue for emotional and pain trauma without taking the pill?)

Okay, more seriously, can you go to the ER for ear pain, get the right pills, then bill your doctor? :D ;)

Gemnyc
11-17-2009, 08:32 AM
You poor poor thing. Sending big hugs that you feel better in the morning. :Hug2:

I've had cellulitus 3 times in my life, all on the same leg, and I remember it getting to the point where I wanted them to cut the damn thing off. At itís worst it was 8 inchs in diameter and I was nearly hospitalized.

I suggest camomile lotion and something to knock you out. The longer you can sleep the better. Hope you feel better soon.

BTW throw earrings out!!

Clair Dickson
11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Wow-- the crazy thing is, that sounds just like what happened to my mom. Except it wasn't cellulitis. It was an allergy to titanium. There was NO sign of infection in her body. Docs were stumped-- refused to listen to her about the titanium allergy.

I'm appalled that the doc would write you a 'scrip for something you're allergic too. But then again, around here, all the docs have gone digital, so the computer will flag them. I'd find another doc-- or maybe visit the ER or Urgent Care. Or can you call the doc's office and talk to the nurse-- have them phone in the right 'scrip to your pharmacy. That's what I usually do. They already know you need something, so perhaps you can be spared a whole visit.

Feel better!

backslashbaby
11-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Ick!! I'm so sorry! I don't know what cellulitis is, but I just can't wear pierced earrings at all anymore. Over time, they just reacted to every kind of metal out there. Now pure gold/silver/hypoallergenic swell them up after a few hours.

Maybe use an epsom salt compress, or lie down in an epsom salt bath. That stuff's magic :D

Good luck! It sucks the doc screwed up, but they forget antibiotic allergies so often in my family/friends, too. I'm so glad you double-checked him!

bettielee
11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
**shakes fist at the sky**

Damn you, cellulitis! You suck donkey stink!

Damn you to hell!!!!1!!

Libbie
11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Geez, l) hope your ear gets better, 2) maybe you should find a different doc, and 3) what the heck kind of earrings did you buy to give you celulitis? Yikes. I ain't buying those earrings.

My doc is rad -- he was just rushed. We all make mistakes. As it turned out, I CAN take the med. My sister used to be a pharmacy tech and I called her up to ask about it. She said the chance I'll actually have a reaction to this one is very low, and if I avoid hot water for a few hours after taking it I should be fine, since the type of reaction I have to these drugs is almost always brought about by heat. And sure enough, last time I only noticed my reaction during a hot shower. Ha ha!

Anyway, I called a pharmacist just to be sure she was correct, and he agreed. So I took it, and today my ear is much better. Hooray for cephalexin! But still "fuck you" to cellulitis.

The earrings were just my normal old earrings! We all have staphylococcus bacteria on our skin, and any tiny cut in your skin, even one you can't see or feel, can push some bacteria inward to start an infection. It was just my lucky day.

Libbie
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
You work in the zoo? That's awesome. We demand stories :D

Yep. The stories show up every once in a while if you know where to look. (generally, around the forums or on my blog.) Really, though, most of my job is just cleaning up animal poop.

Libbie
11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm appalled that the doc would write you a 'scrip for something you're allergic too. But then again, around here, all the docs have gone digital, so the computer will flag them.

Yeah. I guess the computer didn't raise a fuss because apparently the risk of having a reaction to this med is super low. According to my sis, it basically never happens unless somebody like me takes the drug and then goes and sits in a hot tub for a few hours. So I forgive him. ;)