Edward Woodward has passed away. RIP

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED The Wicker Man! RIP

Ditto. The real The Wicker Man. The "other" doesn't truly exist and shall hereafter go unacknowledged.

When I was a kid I also loved The Equalizer. I didn't really "get it," I just knew he seemed cool and "The Equalizer" was/is a badass name.

RIP.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, what a shame. I 'discovered' him in Wicker Man (the real one, point well made) and liked him ever since.

Maryn, saddened

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
He was a brilliant stage actor. He played Flamineo in the National Theatre's 1970 production of the White Devil. He had an amazing stage presence that was mesmerizing. A school friend and I had to prepare a presentation about the theatre for our exams. He gave up time in his very busy schedule to answer questions for us, which we recorded for use in the presentation. He made us check that the recording was of a suitable quality to be used and he wished us luck with it. About a month or so later we saw him and he asked us how the whole thing had gone, the marks we were given. He was a real gent! A true professional.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
I wasn't surprised, because he's not been well for a while, but as an avid fan of The Equalizer during my childhood, I'm deeply saddened.

He was such a gentleman, so down-to-Earth and with such a great sense of humour.

He'll be missed :(

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd mostly heard of him during his time in The Equalizer, but then I'd seen The Wicker Man. Delightfully creepy movie. To read of how ill he was, I send my best wishes to his friends and family.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
By all accounts a real gentleman. I'm sorry to hear of his death.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
And don't forget his role as the Ghost of Christmas Present in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. A bit leaner in the role than I picture the character, but he plays it perfectly. I still crack up at the scene where he stares into Scrooge's face and quite pointedly says: "It's all Bob Cratchit can afford!!"

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And don't forget his role as the Ghost of Christmas Present in the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. A bit leaner in the role than I picture the character, but he plays it perfectly. I still crack up at the scene where he stares into Scrooge's face and quite pointedly says: "It's all Bob Cratchit can afford!!"

I forgot about that. He is very good in that role.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Methinks someone edited that article to add "Callan" -- a gritty Brit spy thriller series from the Cold War era that put Woodward firmly in the spotlight. Compulsive viewing. A fine actor.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I knew he wasn't in good health, but still...

As a minor aside to the news of his death, this is yet another death connected to Babylon 5 / Crusade. How haven't rumors of a curse been started yet? Do I need to do everything myself...

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP.

A few months ago I broke down and bought the complete series DVD set of The Equalizer.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Dam.

Brilliant actor. And nobody has mentioned the absolutely fabulous flick Breaker Morant, in which he and Bryan Browne are about as good as movie acting gets.

caw