Origin of antagonistic love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a piece of literature or some other influence that can be pinpointed for being the start or origin of having the/a protagonist having a relationship with an antagonist? Or vice-versa?
I was just wondering after I read D. Gray Man again.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean, exactly. Could you expand on that? Give an example or two?

The trope of "people fight all the time, must mean they're in love" is as old as Shakespeare's Beatrice and Benedict.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting idea.

Examples:
Lanfear in the WoT and her obsession with Rand, she kept her obsession with Rand/Lews Therin for quite some time.
Crysania Tarinius from Dragonlance, not quite love, but she was obsessed with 'redeeming' Raistlin, even though he deliberately manipulated her several times, and she never succeeded.

I'll try to think of some more specific examples.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
In the same vein, Conan has quite a few contentious relationships with the main females, evil or semi-evil. Karela the Red Hawk from Robert Jordan version comes to mind. Also a few of similar relations in some other versions. A female bandit from the Conan universe, can't remember her name, Conan split some sort of giant red plant/flesh orb with her once. She's in service to a witch.

Although those are really just physical attractions, I'm thinking more like a person who is the antagonist, or related closely to them somehow. And they are, or feel that they are, in love with the protagonist, or a relation of the protagonist.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I can't think of any examples myself (maybe because my brain has already gone to bed), and I haven't read any of the ones you've cited. But seeing as inappropriate loves are a pretty common human experience, it just doesn't seem all that surprising that it makes it into books.

Oh wait, how about Wuthering Heights? I doubt that was the first example, mind you, but at least it puts it back a ways.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Never read Wuthering Heights, hope I never do.

If you've missed reading the Brontes, then you've missed some of the most subtle and yet dramatic writing in the English language. If you write anything with action, despair, or fear going on in it, then you owe it to yourself to read Wuthering Heights at the very least, but Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall would do you well, too.

Gothic Romance is after all the parent of sword and sorcery, and the Brontes did Gothic Romance like none others. In fact, you may have missed the beginnings of "antagonistic romance" right there, although we will probably get an argument from the Jane Austen clique regarding Pride & Prejudice on that score - another one I'd guess you haven't read, but the story is so compelling, I would certainly recommend it to you.

And if you're going to read Jane Austen, go for the heavy Gothic and fun, fun, fun in Northanger Abbey.

These books might seem like they are out of your genre, but so many literay devices and sound ideas are trans-genre. So if you are looking for the roots of a romantic device, I recommend digging in the fields of the Romantic writers.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Wuthering Heights, etc, isn't for everyone. Personally, I can't stand that style of writing. I've attempted WH, I've read Jane Eyre (which I almost liked), and frankly if I don't read anything of that style again, I won't feel like I've missed anything.

(But, I did at least try.)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Kudos to you, dempsey, for trying. I know it's not for everyone, and neither is Shakespeare, Tolkein, or Carl Hiassen, but I think you gotta be familiar with writers and writing (all styles) if you wanna be one.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a piece of literature or some other influence that can be pinpointed for being the start or origin of having the/a protagonist having a relationship with an antagonist? Or vice-versa?

Pretty much old as time, I think. But the oldest example I can think of off the top of my head is Shakespeare - The Taming of the Shrew - though I'm sure the concept of that thin line between love and hate predates even Shakespeare.

~suki

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If you've missed reading the Brontes, then you've missed some of the most subtle and yet dramatic writing in the English language. If you write anything with action, despair, or fear going on in it, then you owe it to yourself to read Wuthering Heights at the very least, but Jane Eyre and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall would do you well, too.
These books might seem like they are out of your genre, but so many literay devices and sound ideas are trans-genre. So if you are looking for the roots of a romantic device, I recommend digging in the fields of the Romantic writers.
I used to be able to stand reading non-fiction, even some non-fiction romance.
Then I had to read Sister Carrie for a class...my hatred for non-fiction is at an all time high at the moment, how people condsider that book a classic is beyond my comprehension... >.>
-----------------------------
Old as time is probably as good as I'm going to get. Still, I'm curious, although maybe it was born out of the idea of someone just being obsessively in love with another person and it was just translated into literature.
It's not done very well most of the time(obsessive love, that is) my favorites are Ryoko and Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo and Lanfear and Rand, although Lanfear gets over it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Then I had to read Sister Carrie for a class...my hatred for non-fiction is at an all time high at the moment

Sister Carrie is fiction.

"Non-fiction" is about stuff that actually occurred, like a biography of Abraham Lincoln.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score

In The Odyssey Odysseus slept with both Calypso and Circe. I don't know how much that counts as a relationship, since it was kind of just the goddesses demanding it and him not really having much recourse to refuse. Though, I'm not sure how much he really wanted to refuse...

Maybe someone else with a better memory will know.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I wouldn't count the Odysseus stuff as 'love' so much, but the legend of Theseus and Hippolyta definitely qualifies (at least the version where Theseus and Heracles defeat Hippolyta and her Amazons in battle, Theseus marries Hippolyta, and she is heartbroken when he dumps her for Phaedra).

So, yeah, thousands of years old.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't think of an older example but a modern one (about Stockholm Syndrome) is "The Effect of Living Backwards" by Heidi Julavits.

Status
Not open for further replies.