If a joke is funny once, keep telling it.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Since "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was such a hit, the publisher has commissioned "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters." Apparently the market needs not one, but an entire library of Jane Austen monster mashups. This is clearly a great idea, because if a concept is original, doing it a second time will clearly be twice as original. A publisher also bought a zombie Beatles bio called "Paul is Undead."

This has something to do with the idea that there is a "next vampire," which will yield the next blockbuster book, akin to "Harry Potter" or "Twilight." The "next vampire" may or may not be werewolfs, zombies, pirates, steampunks, ninjas or Sarah Palins.

We're also getting a wave of authorized continuations of the work of dead authors. There's a new Sam Spade novel, a new Hitchhiker's Guide, a new Wheel of Time. Because in these recessionary times, robbing graves seems less inappropriate.

Fortunately I'm here to help. If anyone is interested, I am available to write any or all of the following sequels and mashups:

A Farewell to Arms and Legs and Torsos and Brains
Rabbit, Run Away From The Zombies
The Naked and the Undead
Afterlife on the Mississippi
The Beautiful and Damned II: Revenge of the Damned
Ethan Frome The Black Lagoon
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close To A Zombie
Salem's Lot II: Lots More Salem
Beowerewulf
A Tale of Two Cities Destroyed by Godzilla
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Zombie
The Holy Bible: Now With 50% More Vampires

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's a book out called Queen Victoria: Zombie Hunter.

No, I'm not kidding.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Hey, what a good idea.

Sense and Senseless Violence
Oliver Twisted
The Three Zombieteers
Dr Jekyll and Mr Undead

I'll start writing at once. I need a second project.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
On a more serious note, I've thought about this a bit.

I get a sense sometimes that we all chase what's been, not what could be. We give advice to new writers based on agent/publisher marketing decisions from three years ago.

It's just a sense I get sometimes.

Jennasis

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read P&P&Z yet but I keep meaning to pick it up. I have no problem with sequels, prequels, or any other quels as long as they are done well and entertain me. Let's not begrudge anyone their success...sigh...

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I read P&P&Z when it first came out, but I didn't like it that much. I could only make it through about a third of the original, and even zombie attacks couldn't make that story interesting to me. Also, some of the additions were over the top, like a certain character ripping out a man's still-beating heart and taking a bite out of it. But S&S&SM is by a different author, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he does it better.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I read P&P&Z when it first came out, but I didn't like it that much. I could only make it through about a third of the original, and even zombie attacks couldn't make that story interesting to me. Also, some of the additions were over the top, like a certain character ripping out a man's still-beating heart and taking a bite out of it. But S&S&SM is by a different author, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope he does it better.

Well, the first guy came up with the idea. And it's a very good idea. For one book. But then it's a joke that is exhausted. It doesn't create a new mashup genre.

The new book is, by default, worse than the original because it's not this author's idea. He's like a comedian who is doing somebody else's material. Well, morally, he's better, because the publisher was looking for somebody to write this and he took the gig; man's got to eat. But still, the joke has been told, and a second Jane Austen/monster mashup has no reason to exist. If he's got a great idea for a story about sea monsters set in Victorian England, he should just write that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've got the erotica genre taken care of.

Dickens goes X-rated!

Knickerless Nickleby
David Cops a Feel
Donger and Son
The Dicklick Papers
Oliver Tits
Hard Times
- oh, wait, no; that's a real one.

Holla!

K. Andrew Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kandrewsmith.blogspot.com
We're also getting a wave of authorized continuations of the work of dead authors. There's a new Sam Spade novel, a new Hitchhiker's Guide, a new Wheel of Time. Because in these recessionary times, robbing graves seems less inappropriate.

Not that I disagree with the overall point, but I feel I should point out that Robert Jordan specifically wanted the Wheel of Time series finished by another author if he died before he managed to do so.

Now, a new Hitchhiker's? That threw me when I saw it in the bookstore, and I don't like the idea at all.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take 'Lots More Salem' for $500, Alex. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If on a winter's night a traveller...gets dragged into an open grave by the slavering undead.

Calvino would be proud of that one.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To be, or not to be--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to stiffen
The arms and legs of outrageous death
Or to take arms against a sea of zombies
And by opposing burn them. To die, to wake--
No more--and by a death to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That brains is heir to.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It was the best of times if you were a zombie. It was the worst of times if you had a brain worth munching.

:)

I don't think zombies have any fun, or becoming a zombie wouldn't be such a terrifying prospect.

The zombie lifestyle would certainly simplify things.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
I don't think zombies have any fun, or becoming a zombie wouldn't be such a terrifying prospect.

Who says zombies don't have fun? Maybe this is just an example of our society's ignorant undead-bashing...

In fact, since we are rewriting here, I propose we dust off the feminist authors and get them onto the zombie cause:

The Zombie Monologues
Not Without my Undead Daughter
The Zombie Eunuch
The Never-Awakening

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Not that I disagree with the overall point, but I feel I should point out that Robert Jordan specifically wanted the Wheel of Time series finished by another author if he died before he managed to do so.

Now, a new Hitchhiker's? That threw me when I saw it in the bookstore, and I don't like the idea at all.
The author was commissioned by Adams's family and went into the project with fear and trembling. Adams himself had been planning another book in the series. So no, I don't see that one as being offensive.

As far as jokes being told too many times, they're still making rap music...

*ducks*