How to incorporate a testimony into my book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
While writing this behemoth, several of my peers have come forward offering to tell me their experiences with this company. I am learning that my experience with them is one of many more than I even thought. They want their stories to be heard, but do not want their names revealed. I can completely understand that, but it leaves me with a question. Would an anonymous quote acceptable? On one hand, it makes perfect sense to me. On the other hand, it seems that information like that which has been offered would have to be verifiable.

On top of this, another question comes up. Will I be able to remain anonymous? This thought never occurred to me until recently. I have been assuming that I would be able to write this under a fictitious name, but I have no way of know if that is allowable.

Thanks for any information.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
It's not uncommon at all to use pseudonyms in a nonfic book and you can write under whatever name you choose. Your editor(s) will have to be trusted though, and they may well want to contact your informants to verify their information. (It might be enough to show your editors the original correspondence with identifying info blacked out.) If the editors insisted on contacting your informants themselves,their, (your informants') confidentiality would be respected and their real names wouldn't appear in the book.

Every mainstream publisher has legal people and they'll vet all this stuff for you. They want their own behind covered too.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Fabulous! I was thrilled with the idea of adding a bit more validity to my story by adding the experiences of others, but wanted to be more certain before going ahead.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.