Birthday conflict -- what would you do?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Okay, so here's the deal: I mostly don't care about my birthday. Even when I was a kid, only the important birthdays seemed worth the hullabaloo. I'm not grumpy about it. I love getting a call or an email from a friend to mark the day. It's nice to have an excuse to go out for dinner. Raise a glass to my natal anniversary and I'm good.

I don't need presents. I don't need parties.

But I do like the milestone ones. 18, 21, 30, and now in a few months, the big 4-0. For my thirtieth, a group of my closest friends met at Dave & Busters, played some games, made some noise, had some fun, came back to the house and wrung the last of the giggles out of the clock. A flip of the pages, and I've found out that the calendar will be kind to my odometer and I'm turning forty on a Saturday - all the better to host a little woo hoo and have a chance that my friends will be available.

On a completely different track, my children have taken up chess. My oldest, in particular, is displaying an amazing aptitude for the game and, so far, has never lost a game in tournament play. My husband took first place in the parents' competition yesterday. Great, huh? It's a bit of a grind for the parents who don't play, because you get to sit in a school lobby in camp chairs for eight hours. It's not bad. I can read a book and chat with some of the other parents and fetch the lunch. Since it's only once a month or so, I don't mind.

You might be able to see where this is going.

This year, our team are the defending State Champions (although, my daughters were not on the team then.) The ranked games await their arrival as the year progresses and the red-carpeted course that shuttles them along to the Two-Day Big Show State Tournament Weekend deadends on my blessed birthday. In frickin' Greensboro. (Now I've got nothing against Greensboro, but if I'm going to spend my fortieth birthday in a town where I don't know a soul, it wouldn't be very high on the list.)

Suggestions please.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
whisky_range.jpg

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Meh. That's no solution. I don't like scotch. Tastes like somebody died at the base of an oak tree and then someone else tapped the sap.

But thank you for thinking of me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sounds like you need to host a shit-ass all out birthday/game bash party of the millennium. More on the game side...but with a splash of champagne for the big 4-0 on the side. BEFORE OF AFTER THE ACTUAL TOURNAMENT.

My wife went to Vegas last year with the girls for her 4-0---a month ahead of her actual birthday, which is Christmas Eve. This year...I'm not even going to see her on her birthday...for the first time since she turned 16. SO weird.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You have to think outside the box, P. Just celebrate your birthday on another day.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You have to think outside the box, P. Just celebrate your birthday on another day.
I hate this. I know it's the only solution, but I hate it.

I never, ever want anything done for my birthday, but I was looking really forward to this one, because it was a biggish round number and a Saturday.

I know. I'm being a baby.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No. I understand your feelings. You're not being a baby. I myself don't celebrate my birthday...but I enjoy seeing others enjoying celebrating theirs. Even if it's only the special milestone ones. My little bro hit 39 on Friday the 13th. No fanfare. But I am planning his 40th surprise party already. (-; Next Nov 13th is going to be a blast for me.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
In the past I would have sided with KTC's advice but I'm going to suggest something else.

This is a milestone in your life. I know that you are always there for your children and family. Sometimes, we need and should do things for ourselves even when there's a conflict of schedule.

Is the party you'd like to plan for adults only? If so, send your chess playing family along without you. If it's to include everyone of all ages, then perhaps you could have it on Sunday. But again, I'd not put off my celebration for others. You do what you want and do yourself a favour, set the guilt aside. You're entitled to have some fun for yourself even when others would like your attention elsewhere.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You forget Rob is known for his heartless demeanor. It's a sham, covering how he's a big old softie who cries easily.

I see a two-prong attack. First, on the birthday itself, dinner at the finest restaurant in Greensboro, with the family. White table cloths, haute cuisine. If you're old enough to play chess well, you're old enough to appreciate fine dining. Then, at another time quite near your birthday, a raucous event such as you'd envisioned before the chess thing came up.

Maryn, hoping you'll raise a glass to her at one or the other, and unlike Rob, wishing you a happy birthday

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in 1985, OMD released an album entitled "Crush" - on it was a song called "88 Seconds in Greensboro". This is possibly my only chance to ever mention it.

You could listen to it a hundred times and cure yourself of synth-pop cravings forever.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Back in 1985, OMD released an album entitled "Crush" - on it was a song called "88 Seconds in Greensboro". This is possibly my only chance to ever mention it.

You could listen to it a hundred times and cure yourself of synth-pop cravings forever.

If she listens to 88 Seconds in Greensboro one hundred times, she will be a victim of its haunting 80s realism for life. She will not be cured...she will be addicted. "You know it. God you know it." Nice try, though.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd be more afraid of turning forty than anything else. It's true what they say: Your body is going to pot and never coming back. It has been for some time now, but you'll really notice it after this milestone.

Happy birthday! :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
If I were you, I'd be more afraid of turning forty than anything else. It's true what they say: Your body is going to pot and never coming back. It has been for some time now, but you'll really notice it after this milestone.
Dino, you're really trying to get on my good side, aren't you?