• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Would love a Beta to read the first 3,000 words of my contemporary adult novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
Fellow writers!

I am seeing if anyone would be kind enough to read the first 3,000 words or so of my WIP. Possibly with a view to reading the whole manuscript when it's finished. I am over 60,000 words into an 80,000 word novel.

A warning: if you are easily offended, then my story might not be for you. It's a contemporary novel, darkly comic in tone, set in Bradford - which is, for those on the other side of the Atlantic, a working-class town in Northern England - and as such contains swearing and is written in a colloquial style. It also contains some drug use and scenes of masturbation! P G Wodehouse it is not.

However, if have a dark sense of humour, and appreciate the works of Chuck Palahniuk, Irvine Welsh, Martin Amis, James Kelman, Sue Townsend, Roddy Doyle, and others, then my story just might appeal.

In addition to some encouragement and positive appraisal (ie, what you thought was good about my work), I am also looking for some gentle criticism and areas where you think I might be able to improve.

What will I offer in return? Oodles of thanks, and a willingness to read and appraise your own work (if that's what you want).

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Danny.

Last edited:

RobinGBrown

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dogstarphotography.com
I've got the first four chapters (12K words) of a modern adult story set in London that needs beta reading. There's more to come too.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

PM if interested.

Phlex

Registered
Reaction score
I may not be the most experienced of writers or beta readers, but if you would be willing to hear my humble novice opinions concerning what you've written, I'd be more than happy to help where I can.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I might take a look. I'll only read the masturbation scenes if they involve sheep or argile socks.

DannySherbet

Wellversed in procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I might take a look. I'll only read the masturbation scenes if they involve sheep or argile socks.

Sadly, they contain neither.

However, maybe I should turn my WIP into the first book of a trilogy, and then I can explore my protagonist's argile-sock fetish in the second tome.

And then maybe in the third tome he'll move on to French mustard and rubber chickens.

Modog814

Registered
Reaction score
I'll also give it a look if you're looking for another beta. PM Me if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.